Dinner 8-19-2019 ~ Anniversary of the First Soap Box Derby...in Dayton, OH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Although the city of Akron, OH is most associated with the Soap Box Derby, the initial race was first held in Dayton, OH in 1934. It moved to Akron the following year for its central location and hilly terrain.

It's hot and humid and pouring down rain; I'm not racing to cook dinner. We'll have big dinner salads with all kinds of good stuff. If I find some oomph, I plan on making a pan of cornbread.

What's going to be crossing the finish line at your dinner table tonight?

Not quite sure yet. Maybe mini lasagnas. Maybe not.

Well, the Soap Box Derby has certainly gone downhill.

Thunderstorms blew through, and we've dropped from 90 to 75. Because I can't count on dry weather for grilling, I'm making sous vide salmon for the first time. I picked up some really good tomatoes at the farmer's market this past weekend, and the basil in my herb garden is finally producing, so it's caprese salad on the side.

I roasted a couple of bs chicken breast halves and one chicken leg in the toaster oven. I used my tomato-less bbq sauce. Then I made a large salad. I cut one of the breast halves into strips and did the same with the chicken thigh (and snacked on the all the yummy skin from the leg during a break from cooking). I made a lazy, creamy dressing. I stirred some yogourt into some mayo and then stirred in some of the vinaigrette I made last week. A little odd, but good. Sorry about the crummy picture, but it's what I got.

Attachments

• IMG_20190819_190419.jpg
    IMG_20190819_190419.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 134
Made my 1st chili tonight. Came out pretty damn good. :)

Paired it with my cornbread I made yesterday. Good combo!

79bee54b489eb8da80cb4c71366399ac.jpg
ea683ca1aaf0788d0bc0d75b52a84e7e.jpg
7799c72db18f496ef56116ed3a386e20.jpg
0fe3728e95d1ae2cc33b301e49fbb9ce.jpg

Dinner was western scramble (ham, green pepper & onion) and tomato salad (kumato tomato, fresh garlic, fresh basil, house seasoning, olive oil and water).

western_scramble_081919_IMG_6126.jpg

Well, no cornbread. I didn't have enough for a full recipe in my bag of White Lily cornbread mix, and my brain didn't want to math so I could add enough flour, cornmeal, etc to end up with 2 cups. Instead I made Pillsbury cranberry muffins...and tossed in extra raisins instead of cranberries. *sigh* Still, it was all good.IMG_20190819_210418473.jpg

Chili looks great! Which recipe did you follow?

This was my base:
https://youtu.be/hm7GTuIS60U

I modified as follows:
Used 1lb ground beef so cut everything in half to start
I cooked onions (3/4 onion) first and let sweat for about 10-15min. Then added meat.
Added Maggie sauce to beef and mixed in.
For spicy I used a combo of: franks red hot, cayenne pepper, chipotle chili pepper, regular grinded pepper. I added and tasted until I liked the combo. Wasn’t too spicy but had a little kick at the end. Almost like different levels of flavors as you went through it (cheese to sour cream to beans to meat to sauce and finally little kick at end)
Added parsley in end boiling section (would have added cilantro but didn’t have)

Lastly I added from the following recipe towards the simmer end section:
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/true-texas-chili-355049

Beef broth (I use this one. https://shop.shoprite.com/store/92cc332/product/00098308002031)
Brown sugar (I only had light brown so used that). I had also added some regular sugar per instructions in first video above.
Vinegar

Lastly after plating I shredded sharp cheddar off a block and scooped some full fat sour cream.
Added in my cornbread as a side warmed and buttered. Went well with it. :)

For Dessert I made a slamming red raspberry/banana/coconut smoothie. I would’ve taken pics but it went too fast :)

Last edited:
This was my base:
https://youtu.be/hm7GTuIS60U

I modified as follows:
Used 1lb ground beef so cut everything in half to start
I cooked onions (3/4 onion) first and let sweat for about 10-15min. Then added meat.
Added Maggie sauce to beef and mixed in.
For spicy I used a combo of: franks red hot, cayenne pepper, chipotle chili pepper, regular grinded pepper. I added and tasted until I liked the combo. Wasn’t too spicy but had a little kick at the end. Almost like different levels of flavors as you went through it (cheese to sour cream to beans to meat to sauce and finally little kick at end)
Added parsley in end boiling section (would have added cilantro but didn’t have)

Lastly I added from the following recipe towards the simmer end section:
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/true-texas-chili-355049

Beef broth (I use this one. https://shop.shoprite.com/store/92cc332/product/00098308002031)
Brown sugar (I only had light brown so used that). I had also added some regular sugar per instructions in first video above.
Vinegar

Lastly after plating I shredded sharp cheddar off a block and scooped some full fat sour cream.
Added in my cornbread as a side warmed and buttered. Went well with it. :)

For Dessert I made a slamming red raspberry/banana/coconut smoothie. I would’ve taken pics but it went too fast :)

Looks tasty!

The first (video) recipe had a lot of tomatoes. It also had kidney beans. So, I'm guessing it is a "Yankee" chili. :ermm::LOL:

I do often use some tomatoes in my chili, as do a lot of other people in Texas. But not that much. I like beans in my chili, too -- but only Ranch Style (brand) pintos.

Cornbread is perfect with chili. Down here a lot of folks (including me) crumble the cornbread up in a bowl, and cover it with chili.

CD

I sliced up leftover prime ribeye from last night (it was way to big for me to eat in one meal), and made some good tacos. I really loaded them up with steak.

CD

Brined and Baked in the Oven, a huge Chicken Breast, obviously bought to feed us both..... plenty left for lunch tomorrow....

Rubbed with Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Sweet Paprika...

Brown Rice, Buttered, Peas w/ some Leftie Carrots, Leftie Beets and of course, a Salad...

Chicken Breast, Baked.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

Looks tasty!

The first (video) recipe had a lot of tomatoes. It also had kidney beans. So, I'm guessing it is a "Yankee" chili. :ermm::LOL:

I do often use some tomatoes in my chili, as do a lot of other people in Texas. But not that much. I like beans in my chili, too -- but only Ranch Style (brand) pintos.

Cornbread is perfect with chili. Down here a lot of folks (including me) crumble the cornbread up in a bowl, and cover it with chili.

CD

We on GA do lots of tomatoes and lots of Vidalia onions. Something else we do is use Fritos in the bottom of the bowl instead of cornbread.

Back
Top Bottom