"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Had a late day at work so tonight is planned leftovers. I just put on some rice to cook and will be having steak and peppers over rice and/or there is some chicken with Alfredo sauce type thing I made. Either way it will use up the leftover and I don't really have to cook.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Yeah. Think I will show some restraint and go with one chicken and pesto w/roasted garlic. And do a sausage, mushroom, green onion one.
I was hoping for a shrimp scampi pizza, white garlic pizza with a few shrimp scattered about!

I miss pizza more than any of the foods I've had to restrict.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
DeMoula's had Porterhouse steaks on sale for $5.95 a pound this week. Spike took a look at them and they were way too big for me to eat. Porterhouse is one of those steaks that should be eaten in one sitting. And I just can't do that. Sometimes I will remove the filet and freeze it for another day. Then eat the rest of it. Right now I could eat one. I haven't had any meat for a couple of days. Have no idea what will be on my plate tonight.
Addie, True story. Fr and I planned all summer for a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters, northern Minnesota. Whatever you carry in, must be carried out, trash wise. We made a list and I duly went to the camping goods store for dried food/ easily packed. Thought we would have reconstituted chili or soup the first night camping until we caught fish and found wild berries to sustain us. Guess again. Frís GF had packed 2 of the Worldís Thickest Hugest porterhouse steaks in the bottom of a cooler for us. Best steaks we ever ate, cooked over an open campfire. No, I could not eat it all. Wth a little effort, I managed somehow. Itís amazing what you can do once you tuck into it.

I say go for it, and make leftover sammies or a steak salad maŮana.

As an aside, Guess again. Wild berries are not found on the edge of a well
marked trail; deer paths cross and criss-cross leading to complete confusion. The sun doesnít shine through the trees and berries are not readily found along deer paths either. Berries are not ďin seasonĒ just because you are there. Euell Gibbons Lied. Next time pack more dried berries. And M&Mís>> if you plan on leaving a trail for the ground sqwerrels who follow you.

As for me, still having a bit of a teeth issue. Not so much, emphasis on a Little. Soft foods are better. I found a swell looking on top of the stove Chix and dumplings recipe. Too hot for the oven. Havenít tried this recipe before. DxW sent over a quart of her homemade chix stock and I bought a rotisserie chicken yesterday. Ate the legs, wings and one thigh and shared some with the little girls for supper last night and lunch. I donít usually hold too well with rotiss chix, except for Costco or a local Mideast market, otherwise the local grocer has one flavor in their base I donít abide as well, Whatever, and whatever they inject it with, the breasts are pretty moist, and thereís one thigh too. Will over cook some veggies, esp carrots, onion, brock and green beans. Add some frozen peas. Thyme, parsley and rosemary and tarragon. Then make this dumpling recipe to dollop on top towards the end.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Have a hankering for cauliflower and green onions with cheese sauce. Either that, or a mixed salad.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I have leftover CWS' Cucumber Tomato salad and some leftover zucchini fritters.

I started with this recipe:

zucchini fritters | smitten kitchen

Used chickpea flour instead of plain flour. Added juice of 1/2 lemon, lemon zest, garlic, 1 chopped fresh jalepeno pepper, some chilpolte chili powder, some fresh oregano, parsley, and thyme. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly (wink).

A friend stopped by for lunch, we had the salad and the fritters topped with Greek yogurt. The rest of the fritters are going in the freezer. I was thinking one could almost call them "zucchini burgers".
Old 08-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #16
Sous Chef

American goulash, salad, garlic bread.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I was hoping for a shrimp scampi pizza, white garlic pizza with a few shrimp scattered about!

I miss pizza more than any of the foods I've had to restrict.
Sorry, Bea. The shrimp were frozen and there were some leftovers I had to use up so I went with what I had.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	18554  
Old 08-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Sorry, Bea. The shrimp were frozen and there were some leftovers I had to use up so I went with what I had.....
Lookin' good, Rock!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Nice!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Pretty successful meal tonight. We had Perfect Pan-Roasted Chicken Thighs, steamed mixed Italian vegetables, hash brown potatoes, iced tea and Classic Rice Pudding, Swedish-style.

The chicken was fabulous and amazingly simple to prepare. The dessert was, well, beyond beyond delicious.

Tags
cook, dinner