Dinner 8-27-2013 ~ To Cook or Not to Cook...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
...no question here, I'm cooking! After two days of goofing off I'm feeling a little guilty.

I have a good-sized eye of round roast I'm fixing with mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, and steamed Chinese cabbage. Salad. And, if I follow thru on my intentions, PPO's peach and blackberry strudel. I keep eating the peaches when I buy them and they never get the chance to be baked! :LOL:

Hopefully we have LOTS of leftover beef since it's around 5# and there are only two of us. I'll slice the leftover meat thinly and throw it in the crockpot with BBQ sauce for BBQ beef sandwiches later in the week.

SO suggested burgers tonight but while I was shopping a very pretty porterhouse caught my eye so that's what's going to be dinner tonight. I hope she doesn't mind...

I'm at the beach with friends today - it's an absolutely beautiful day. Last night I put a rub on a pork shoulder and it's in the slow cooker now. Need to pick up some cole slaw and buns for pulled pork tonight.

SO suggested burgers tonight but while I was shopping a very pretty porterhouse caught my eye so that's what's going to be dinner tonight. I hope she doesn't mind...

DeMoula's had Porterhouse steaks on sale for $5.95 a pound this week. Spike took a look at them and they were way too big for me to eat. Porterhouse is one of those steaks that should be eaten in one sitting. And I just can't do that. Sometimes I will remove the filet and freeze it for another day. Then eat the rest of it. Right now I could eat one. I haven't had any meat for a couple of days. Have no idea what will be on my plate tonight. :angel:

Just me tonight. Have some pizza in the fridge so I'll reheat that add a side salad and have fresh pineapple for dessert.

I'm going to have the same thing I had last night and the night before. Well, it wasn't leftovers two nights ago. I just need to go pick up some fresh greenage.

Just going to whip up a batch of pizza dough. Going to make a couple of small ones and freeze the rest. Not sure what, yet. I have mushrooms, green onions, pizza sauce, chicken breasts, smoked sausage, pesto sauce, shrimp, mozza, parma.

Hmmmm. Think I will roast some garlic.........news at 7

I have mushrooms, green onions, pizza sauce, chicken breasts, smoked sausage, pesto sauce, shrimp, mozza, parma.

That'll work :pig:

I don't feel like running to the store now, but I do have a zucchini. I'll have breaded zucchini with my prime rib leftovers tonight. I think I make these once every two years. I hope my breading sticks :shock:

Had a late day at work so tonight is planned leftovers. I just put on some rice to cook and will be having steak and peppers over rice and/or there is some chicken with Alfredo sauce type thing I made. Either way it will use up the leftover and I don't really have to cook.

Yeah. :LOL: Think I will show some restraint and go with one chicken and pesto w/roasted garlic. And do a sausage, mushroom, green onion one.

I was hoping for a shrimp scampi pizza, white garlic pizza with a few shrimp scattered about!

I miss pizza more than any of the foods I've had to restrict. :(

DeMoula's had Porterhouse steaks on sale for $5.95 a pound this week. Spike took a look at them and they were way too big for me to eat. Porterhouse is one of those steaks that should be eaten in one sitting. And I just can't do that. Sometimes I will remove the filet and freeze it for another day. Then eat the rest of it. Right now I could eat one. I haven't had any meat for a couple of days. Have no idea what will be on my plate tonight. :angel:

Addie, True story. Fr and I planned all summer for a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters, northern Minnesota. Whatever you carry in, must be carried out, trash wise. We made a list and I duly went to the camping goods store for dried food/ easily packed. Thought we would have reconstituted chili or soup the first night camping until we caught fish and found wild berries to sustain us. Guess again. Fr’s GF had packed 2 of the World’s Thickest Hugest porterhouse steaks in the bottom of a cooler for us. Best steaks we ever ate, cooked over an open campfire. No, I could not eat it all. Wth a little effort, I managed somehow. It’s amazing what you can do once you tuck into it.

I say go for it, and make leftover sammies or a steak salad mañana.

As an aside, Guess again. Wild berries are not found on the edge of a well
marked trail; deer paths cross and criss-cross leading to complete confusion. The sun doesn’t shine through the trees and berries are not readily found along deer paths either. Berries are not “in season” just because you are there. Euell Gibbons Lied. Next time pack more dried berries. And M&M’s>> if you plan on leaving a trail for the ground sqwerrels who follow you. :LOL:

As for me, still having a bit of a teeth issue. Not so much, emphasis on a Little. Soft foods are better. I found a swell looking on top of the stove Chix and dumplings recipe. Too hot for the oven. Haven’t tried this recipe before. DxW sent over a quart of her homemade chix stock and I bought a rotisserie chicken yesterday. Ate the legs, wings and one thigh and shared some with the little girls for supper last night and lunch. I don’t usually hold too well with rotiss chix, except for Costco or a local Mideast market, otherwise the local grocer has one flavor in their base I don’t abide as well, Whatever, and whatever they inject it with, the breasts are pretty moist, and there’s one thigh too. Will over cook some veggies, esp carrots, onion, brock and green beans. Add some frozen peas. Thyme, parsley and rosemary and tarragon. Then make this dumpling recipe to dollop on top towards the end.

Have a hankering for cauliflower and green onions with cheese sauce. Either that, or a mixed salad.

I have leftover CWS' Cucumber Tomato salad and some leftover zucchini fritters.

I started with this recipe:

zucchini fritters | smitten kitchen

Used chickpea flour instead of plain flour. Added juice of 1/2 lemon, lemon zest, garlic, 1 chopped fresh jalepeno pepper, some chilpolte chili powder, some fresh oregano, parsley, and thyme. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly (wink).

A friend stopped by for lunch, we had the salad and the fritters topped with Greek yogurt. The rest of the fritters are going in the freezer. I was thinking one could almost call them "zucchini burgers".

Back
Top Bottom