"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Dinner 9-27-2019 ~ National Corned Beef Hash Day

A corned beef boiled dinner is pretty much traditional around St. Paddy's Day. Why would they make National Corned Beef Hash Day more than six months later? For us it really doesn't matter - neither of us like hash.

However, we do like smoked pork chops. REALLY like smoked pork chops. I bought three from our butcher yesterday (planned leftovers). They're so good with green beans simmered in their juices. Mmmm. Bought 1 1/2 pounds of those - there will be no leftovers. Anyway, that's our supper tonight, with the addition of Grands biscuits for sopping up any extra juices.

What's planned for your supper?

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Bone-In Ribeye, Air Fries, Green Lima's with a few Bacon Bits, Tomato Salad with Green Pepper, Yellow Pepper & Onion under a zesty Italian Dressing...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Salad, Tomato.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	36853

Name:	Rib Eye, Bone in.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	36854

Old 09-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I made a country omelette with feta and scallions. We had it with toast. The toast got a little dark and the smoke detector got all judgey. The toast wasn't THAT dark. Note to self: Feta works really well in a country omelette.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

We had wild mushroom ravioli with tomato sauce.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...The toast got a little dark and the smoke detector got all judgey. The toast wasn't THAT dark...
That really makes me chuckle, taxy!

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Old 09-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

We had Naan pizzas. Mine had sauce, grated cheese, shredded cheddar, shredded mozzarella, red and green bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, black olives and sweet Italian sausage crumbles.
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

We opted to go out last night for wonton soup. I had some egg foo yung and TB had s/s pork. We shared the soup and steamed rice. We had quite a bit to bring home, except for the soup.

My plan yesterday was to make pork and bok choi, which TB loves (with any meat but I had pork). I needed to cook the meat so I made the dish and served it with heated leftovers from last night. It was really good!
Old 09-27-2019, 09:40 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
A corned beef boiled dinner is pretty much traditional around St. Paddy's Day. Why would they make National Corned Beef Hash Day more than six months later? For us it really doesn't matter - neither of us like hash.

However, we do like smoked pork chops. REALLY like smoked pork chops. I bought three from our butcher yesterday (planned leftovers). They're so good with green beans simmered in their juices. Mmmm. Bought 1 1/2 pounds of those - there will be no leftovers. Anyway, that's our supper tonight, with the addition of Grands biscuits for sopping up any extra juices.

What's planned for your supper?
New England Boiled Dinner, which is what my mom always called it, is one amazing meal that I haven't had in so long. In fact I haven't had good corned beef hash, either, since my mom made it many years ago. I sure do miss her cooking.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

We had some killer French Dip sandwiches with melted Guyere cheese and red pickled onions. Salads were on the side. The details about the meat are at the end of Andy's thread...
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ml#post1605934
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9270011[1].jpg
Views:	24
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	36859  

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:00 AM   #10
Master Chef

Wonderful sounding dinners! CG, also kind of wondering about the reasoning behind this being corned beef hash day, rather than in March. Oh, well.
I've been craving navy bean and ham (or bacon) soup and wanted to make it today but time got away from me, so I think that'll be on tomorrow's menu.

I ended up with a tuna melt on rye, sliced tomatoes, and a small fruit salad. Hit the spot.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:03 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We had some killer French Dip sandwiches with melted Guyere cheese and red pickled onions. Salads were on the side. The details about the meat are at the end of Andy's thread...
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ml#post1605934

YUM! I bought a nice tri tip today, they were on sale at Albertson's for $2.98/lb. Looking forward to grilling it in the next day or two and enjoying sandwiches with the leftovers.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:26 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Pretty decent veggie-to-meat ratio, if I say so myself. We did have salads, too - just romaine with salad olives, tomatoes, a little shredded mozz, and sunflower seeds.

Name:	IMG_20190927_213039631.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	36860

Old 09-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Dirty rice and collard greens here.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:53 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Just thinking about Corned Beef Hash day.
For me, corned beef hash is the best reason to cook a corned beef and made right, it's really delicious with a poached egg on top.
On the other hand, Hormel canned hash is horrible, although my Dad liked it a lot. My parents were babysitting my little boys and they both said they didn't want to stay there anymore. They said that Grandpa tried to feed them canned dog food.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef, corn, corned beef, dinner