Dinner 9-6-2013 ~ Friday Fryday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, you had dark & stormies for supper? Had to google that. They sound yummy. What are "...the nip bottles..."?

They ARE yummy! Potent, but yummy. Nip bottles are the airline bottles - between 1 and 2 ounces each. Nice little samples when you want to try something...Himself picked out one each of about 8 Bourbons, plus a bottle of moonshine. :ohmy: We haven't tried that stuff yet...

That turned out really good. Served it with pan gravy, boiled-then fried-sliced potatoes, and garlic butter mixed vegis.......I was gonna take pix, but after 1 Margarita and half a glass of red wine, I just slipped my mind.

And now I'm going to make us some dessert Margaritas.

Hmm, must have been the Margarita and the wine. ;)

They ARE yummy! Potent, but yummy. Nip bottles are the airline bottles - between 1 and 2 ounces each. Nice little samples when you want to try something...Himself picked out one each of about 8 Bourbons, plus a bottle of moonshine. :ohmy: We haven't tried that stuff yet...

Hmm, must have been the Margarita and the wine. ;)

Nip bottles = airline bottles, gotcha. 8 bourbon! :ohmy:
I was gonna take pix, but after 1 Margarita and half a glass of red wine, I just slipped my mind.

And now I'm going to make us some dessert Margaritas.

You noticed that typo. :LOL: But, maybe I did slip my mind. I'm blaming the hootch. :rolleyes:

I had to laugh, we went back to the new fave steakhouse last night, and ended up splitting another porterhouse. This was our third time there. The first time, we got a porterhouse with nothing else on the plate, and 2 Caesar salads. The second time, the steak came with green beans and 2 Caesar salads. Last night, it was the steak, green beans, baked potato with sour cream and butter, and 2 Caesar salads. Wonder what they'll add next week? Each time the price was the same. Oh, and we had to ask for bread again, it's supposed to be included, but the waitrons universally always forget about it.

Singing, "On the Fourth Time at Steakhouse, My Restaurant Gave to Me:"

Last edited:
...Nip bottles are the airline bottles - between 1 and 2 ounces each. Nice little samples when you want to try something...Himself picked out one each of about 8 Bourbons...

Nip bottles = airline bottles, gotcha. 8 bourbon! :ohmy:

Geez taxy, they're only 50 ml a piece :LOL: - a buck or two depending on the quality. It's nice to get a sip or two of something before you commit to a long-term relationship. Himself hasn't had the Knob Creek 9-y-o yet - I bet he'll put it on his Christmas list when he does. ;)

I was standing in the state store today and they were $2.50 for most I was seeing, Cuervo, Yukon...
But like they say in For Love of the Game, a bunch of little bottles equals one big one :LOL:

I was standing in the state store today and they were $2.50 for most I was seeing, Cuervo, Yukon...
But like they say in For Love of the Game, a bunch of little bottles equals one big one :LOL:

I buy them for cooking/baking.

The $2.50 or $3.50 is better for me than having to buy 750ml of Amaretto, Cointreau, Godiva etc.... when all I need is a tablespoon or two for a recipe and a splash for the cook's coffee. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

One year we did fill an Easter basket with them and passed them around with coffee after dinner, that was fun! :bunny:

I buy them for cooking/baking.

The $2.50 or $3.50 is better for me than having to buy 750ml of Amaretto, Cointreau, Godiva etc.... when all I need is a tablespoon or two for a recipe and a splash for the cook's coffee. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

One year we did fill an Easter basket with them and passed them around with coffee after dinner, that was fun! :bunny:

- Tell me about it! I wish I could find wine in small bottles here.
The only reason I was in the state store was to buy a bottle of red wine I need for tomorrow. I need one cup :wacko:

- That's better than hiding them for the kids :LOL:

- Tell me about it! I wish I could find wine in small bottles here.
The only reason I was in the state store was to buy a bottle of red wine I need for tomorrow. I need one cup :wacko:

- That's better than hiding them for the kids :LOL:

I buy Sutter Home 4 packs.

One bottle holds approx. 3/4 cup.

Geez taxy, they're only 50 ml a piece :LOL: - a buck or two depending on the quality. It's nice to get a sip or two of something before you commit to a long-term relationship. Himself hasn't had the Knob Creek 9-y-o yet - I bet he'll put it on his Christmas list when he does. ;)
Okay. I think I misunderstood. I had the impression that he went to the stash of airline bottles and chose 8 bourbon to drink immediately.

Lucky you. I wish PA would follow suit with other states.

Himself has cousins surrounding the Allentown area. When we would first, visit the PA system confused me. We went to a family wedding and Himself had Yuengling - I thought he really liked it. On a trip between OH and MA when I was getting my parents' home ready to sell I was looking for a place to pick up a 6-pack. Had no idea where to go, so I stopped in Bloomsburg...at the police station. I figured the police in a college town would know EVERY place that sold beer! :ROFLMAO: The dispatcher then proceeded to school me in where I could buy what. To get a six-pack I had to go to a BAR??? Like heck. Ended up going to the "distributor" even though I had to buy a case of 24. What a screwed up system PA has...

Turns out he thought Yuengling was "OK". Should of gone to the bar...

Lucky you. I wish PA would follow suit with other states.

PA is as strange as Ontario. DH has family in PA, I have family in Canada. You have to go to the beer store to buy beer, and go to the LCB (Liquor Control Board) to buy booze. How dumb is that? Sell it all at the grocery store like normal people do.

Last edited:
PA is as strange as Ontario. DH has family in PA, I have family in Canada. You have to go to the beer store to buy beer, and go to the LCB (Liquor Control Board) to buy booze. How dumb is that? Sell it all at the grocery store like normal people do.
Beer and wine (but only wine bottled in Canada) is sold in grocery stores in Quebec. For better wine or stronger beer, you go to the SAQ, which is the provincial liquor store. The confusing part is trying to compare prices. At the grocery store they add sales taxes (14.975%) to the price marked. At the SAQ, all the marked prices already include the sales tax.

Years ago supermarkets weren't allowed to sell beer or wine, only little stores with four or fewer employees present. It's one of the reasons we have so many "dépanneurs" (convenience stores). I spoke with the owner of one dep and he didn't think it helped much - beer was only about 26-28% of his sales. :rolleyes:

26-28% is a nice chunk of your sales. The fool, lol.

Basically, if you do not serve food you cannot sell beer unless you are a beer distributor. And they only recently are allowed to be open for five hours on Sunday. Since some of the grocery stores have started having sit down areas to eat their prepared foods (run cafeteria style), they have started selling beer because they are allowed to. It makes it nice when you are shopping and need a specialty beer for a recipe (like when I made Snip's curry mussels). They offer more variety and six-packs are the norm.
Unfortunately wine still can only be sold in state stores. And I never see the small bottles that come in 4-packs here. And state stores can't be open on Sunday.
So come football season you had better be stocked up before Sunday comes, or your choices are limited.

I had to laugh, we went back to the new fave steakhouse last night, and ended up splitting another porterhouse. This was our third time there. The first time, we got a porterhouse with nothing else on the plate, and 2 Caesar salads. The second time, the steak came with green beans and 2 Caesar salads. Last night, it was the steak, green beans, baked potato with sour cream and butter, and 2 Caesar salads. Wonder what they'll add next week? Each time the price was the same. Oh, and we had to ask for bread again, it's supposed to be included, but the waitrons universally always forget about it.

Singing, "On the Fourth Time at Steakhouse, My Restaurant Gave to Me:"

In our area there are some restaurants that will not give you bread or rolls unless you specifically ask for them. There are others who will ask if you want it and tell your what kind is available. Others bring it no matter. At Applebees, if you want bread you have to bring your own. LOL Maybe the next time you go to the steakhouse they will throw in dessert!!

As Pacanis can attest, the privatization of beer/liquor stores has been an ongoing thing in PA for years. It's political. Somebody has their hand in the till. They keep bringing up the fact that the workers at the state stores will lose their jobs. That's not the real issue. The government wants their cut. Our grocery store, Giant Eagle, now sells beer, and I believe if you sit at their snack bar and have something to eat you can be served beer with it. But you have to stay at the snack bar...you can't walk around the store doing your shopping while drinking a beer.

26-28% is a nice chunk of your sales. The fool, lol.

Basically, if you do not serve food you cannot sell beer unless you are a beer distributor. And they only recently are allowed to be open for five hours on Sunday. Since some of the grocery stores have started having sit down areas to eat their prepared foods (run cafeteria style), they have started selling beer because they are allowed to. It makes it nice when you are shopping and need a specialty beer for a recipe (like when I made Snip's curry mussels). They offer more variety and six-packs are the norm.
Unfortunately wine still can only be sold in state stores. And I never see the small bottles that come in 4-packs here. And state stores can't be open on Sunday.
So come football season you had better be stocked up before Sunday comes, or your choices are limited.
Yup, not only is that a nice chunk of his sales, people buy other stuff while they are picking up beer. Why go to second store to pick up chips and dip, when you can get them when you get your beer, even if they are a little bit more expensive.

At least our province run liquor stores are open on Sundays. They even have "SAQ Express", which are open 09-22h, 7 days a week, with a smaller selection. And our liquor stores have sales.

But we still can't buy fresh bread on Mondays. That's an old law to protect workers from having to work on Sundays.

Back
Top Bottom