Dinner Aug 2, Friday's Child is loving (and giving) our dinners!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made Margueritas following Dawg's recipe. We are both now sozzled. I we ordered from Mr. Falafel. :LOL: We ordered a merguez platter, a kafta kabob platter, and three falafel balls.

I did t-bones instead of striploin. They were a killer deal and looked sooooo good. They tasted amazing too. I nearly burnt all my hair off starting the BBQ though. Someone had left the burner on high so when I went to light the grill, there had been a LOT of propane flowing already. Whoops! I still have my eyelashes and eyebrows so its all good.

The rhubarb pie for dessert was still warm and gooey on the bottom and the ice cream melted perfectly. I'm ready for a nap now.

I made Margueritas following Dawg's recipe. We are both now sozzled.

Me too, just about (similar Margarita recipes). My curry turned into prik khing pork because I had a can of the PK curry paste and some frozen green beans. It was at least as good as PK take-out. I really liked the way my new cooktop accelerated when I sauteed the pork, then settled down to simmer in the later stages of cooking.

I'm really pleased with myself that I did nothing productive today other than buying some DIY stuff at Lowe's for tomorrow. :D (I bought a fluorescent lamp fixture to hang over my new hobby work table, and a nicer dimmer for my kitchen LED floods.)

I wanted dessert, but decided that it wasn't such a great idea to use the oven, since we had wine with supper, so we aren't quite sober yet. Margaritas for dessert, but my old recipe: 2 parts tequila, 1 part triple sec, 1 part mixed lime & lemon juice.

I wanted dessert, but decided that it wasn't such a great idea to use the oven, since we had wine with supper, so we aren't quite sober yet. Margaritas for dessert, but my old recipe: 2 parts tequila, 1 part triple sec, 1 part mixed lime & lemon juice.

Ah! Dessert Margaritas.

We blew the popstand mid-afternoon, headed nowhere in particular, just driving around on state routes. When we crossed states from MA to RI Himself remarked at how you could tell you were in a different state because (his words) Rhode Island just looked more "orderly". Apparently they understand the idea of zoning...

Ended up at a Panera's for supper because I had a gift card (free food) and our BIL said they had "Italian subs". So Himself figured he'd try it. Couldn't understand how you could have all those different foods on a sandwich and nothing had any real flavor - not even the onions! Guess I have him spoiled with homemade subs. I had a bowl of their chicken orzo lemon soup and a half sandwich. Nothing like eating out and the food being inspiration to stay home and cook! :LOL:

I needed to use some of the zucchini from the garden so I searched DC for "zucchini pancakes" and came across this:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/zucchini-pancakes-14474.html

I picked the recipe for Poor Man's Crab Cakes and made a few changes to it.

Definitely a keeper for zucchini!!! I had mine on buns with an Old Bay May and SO had them just plain on the plate. Served them with sliced pepper, tomatoes, and cucumbers from the garden.

We blew the popstand mid-afternoon, headed nowhere in particular, just driving around on state routes. When we crossed states from MA to RI Himself remarked at how you could tell you were in a different state because (his words) Rhode Island just looked more "orderly". Apparently they understand the idea of zoning...

Ended up at a Panera's for supper because I had a gift card (free food) and our BIL said they had "Italian subs". So Himself figured he'd try it. Couldn't understand how you could have all those different foods on a sandwich and nothing had any real flavor - not even the onions! Guess I have him spoiled with homemade subs. I had a bowl of their chicken orzo lemon soup and a half sandwich. Nothing like eating out and the food being inspiration to stay home and cook! :LOL:

I have friends from CA that come east every year for the anniversary. The couldn't get over the confusion of Boston. I had to remind them that Boston is one of the oldest cities in the country. They didn't have urban planning when it was started. All they had were paths created by the natives. And most of Boston didn't even exist in the 1600-1700's.

All of back Bay, and parts of Charlestown are built on filled land. Even downtown Boston. At one time the water came right up to the back door of the Custom House. The water's edge is now a good six blocks away. Where the Fort Point Channel is and all the museums are, was the edge of the Atlantic Ocean. Even where I live. Eastie was original two separate islands dedicated to farming and feeding the residents of Boston. It is now connected to Revere and Chelsea by filled in land. Where the State House is, that was a big hill and the home of John Hancock. There were three very big hills and they were cut down to use as fill for the rest of the Boston, including the Back Bay. Tremont Street is named after those three hills. Charlestown where the Battle of Bunker Hill was fought was nothing but a very narrow peninsular. That too is mostly filled in land connecting it to Boston Proper. Fanieul Hall also had a back door at the waters edge. Then they filled in some of the water's edge and built Quincy Market. A tourist's mecca. Those two long markets there, The North and South markets that run along side of them were warehouses. They had docks that ran the whole length of those buildings. The ships would tie up and unload right into the building.

Yeah, Boston is very confusing and not orderly by any means. That is part of its charm. :angel:

I use this recipe (without the fish and avocado): Tilapia with Tomatillos and Avocado filled with Maque Choux. I also use at least two colors of bell pepper, because it's pretty :)
Looks good. I agree about the bell peppers. When I make ratatouille, I usually use red, green, and yellow. I leave the skins on the zucchini and eggplant and it's really pretty. A friend made some with only green bell peppers and peeled both the zucchini and eggplant. The result was an ugly, grey mess.

...Yeah, Boston is very confusing and not orderly by any means. That is part of its charm. :angel:

YOU can call it "charming" because you ain't driving it! :LOL: I know how all the roads in MA are basically paved Indian trails and cowpaths, and I'm not sure out "west" here the cowpaths have even been paved. But we weren't anywhere near Boston when we crossed from MA to RI.

I'm convinced that when they finally got around to "planning" Boston roads it was just a contest between MITs drunken engineering students and Northeastern's drunken engineering students. ;)

I live in a PUD. I'm just amazed with what they've done, and yet the HOA restrictions don't seem very restrictive, mostly things I wouldn't do and things that would annoy them if neighbors did them, and my monthly is only $25 (we don't have pools or tennis courts here). Here in the Santa Clarita Valley everything seems well planned, much easier if you develop your city in the late 20th century vs. the 16th century.

About my only concession is that there are certain times of the day I have to avoid the freeway, but most of my travel is at right angles to the freeway so not a real problem. In fact even in off hours I rarely go more than 2-3 off ramps unless I'm headed for the San Fernando Valley, and even then at the right time of the day it's virtually effortless.

Back
Top Bottom