Dinner Aug 2, Friday's Child is loving (and giving) our dinners!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Woo. I clearly need a kick start to my brain cells, that one didn't work so well did it? @Dawgluver, love this dinner thread theme, thanks for kicking us off.

We are once again having guests over for dinner. They are coming to use Ken's extra football tickets, so I'll feed everyone before they go. We're doing striploins on the BBQ, boiled baby new potatoes with butter and chives, asparagus in proscuitto and a salad as yet to be named. The 4 adults will eat early, the 2 teens will eat whenever they get home from work.

I'm thinking a batch of your garlic wings might be in order.

Too messy. I don't want the little bits of garlic to fall between the grates to the bottom of the grill. Maybe I'll just warm up some tortillas on it...

:LOL:

We went out for lunch and had gyros, portions were big enough that we'll have more for dinner.

Too messy. I don't want the little bits of garlic to fall between the grates to the bottom of the grill. Maybe I'll just warm up some tortillas on it...

You're not going to be one of THOSE guys are you? Gotta break it in hard my friend! Garlic! Sloppy sauce everywhere! Bacon grease! Mess it up!

I got some boneless pork stew bits from the last day discount shelf yesterday so I'm making a quick and easy curry out of it. That's curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, shrimp paste, Thai chilis and anything else I have that looks like it should go in a curry.

A baked chicken thigh with just S&P. And a baked 'tater with butter, S&P. I need to get some protein into me. Haven't had any appetite lately. :angel:

DH is out golfing with his buddies, so I'm on my own tonight. I'll probably have leftover taco meat - might make nachos with it - and maque choux. I know it's a Cajun dish, but it has Mexican flavors, too, so I like to serve it with Mexican food. I'm also thinking about going downtown for the monthly First Friday concert in the museum courtyard. They sell wine and have light hors d'oeuvres inside the museum.

Last edited:

I detect a little "New grill syndrome". Go ahead and get it dirty!

You know it, Andy. It's just so clean...

Maque Choux has been on my shortlist for a while now, GG, especially with corn in season. I'm going to use some Canadian bacon trimmings instead of salt pork. Should give it a nice smokey flavor.

Does anyone have a favourite recipe for maque choux? Or do you just throw the stuff together?
I was just doing a search for recipes for the same on the 'net. I have never made it. I've found some recipes that call for cream. Not sure I want to use cream (and am still waiting for the corn to be ready...maybe next week--if it is ready by the 14th, TL, I'll bring you some).

I was just doing a search for recipes for the same on the 'net. I have never made it. I've found some recipes that call for cream. Not sure I want to use cream (and am still waiting for the corn to be ready...maybe next week--if it is ready by the 14th, TL, I'll bring you some).
Sounds wonderful. I'm going to be awful and tell you that we don't like the bi-colour corn. Only interested if it's the regular yellow stuff, which we adore and can't find any more.

Sounds wonderful. I'm going to be awful and tell you that we don't like the bi-colour corn. Only interested if it's the regular yellow stuff, which we adore and can't find any more.
We usually plant three varieties. The bi-coloured corn tends to mature earlier than the white (Silver Queen--last corn of the season) and the yellow (which I can't remember the variety). Most people I know who have corn at roadside stands start the season with the bi-colour, move to a yellow variety, and then finish the season with Silver Queen or a simliar variety. Silver Queen is supposedly the best of the three for freezing.

We usually plant three varieties. The bi-coloured corn tends to mature earlier than the white (Silver Queen--last corn of the season) and the yellow (which I can't remember the variety). Most people I know who have corn at roadside stands start the season with the bi-colour, move to a yellow variety, and then finish the season with Silver Queen or a simliar variety. Silver Queen is supposedly the best of the three for freezing.
White would be nice too, if it isn't sweet like the bicolour.

If nothing not bicolour is ready, I will understand. I can hardly wait to see you.

Does anyone have a favourite recipe for maque choux? Or do you just throw the stuff together?

I follow a recipe I found on the internet. I printed it out, but probably have the link. I'll look for it and post it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom