Dinner, Christmas Eve, 24th December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking duck breasts till we received a box from Omaha Steaks from my BIL and SIL. So tonight we're having sole stuffed with shrimp and crab with a green salad and rice pilaf. I may make a lemon sauce - need to look at the package again to see how the sole was done.

Oh you won't like that at all.
Where should I have the small cooler and dry ice sent? ;)

Thanks for looking up puffy dogs. That one caught my attention, too :LOL:

I'm thinking of making up a batch of GG's Szechuan pickling liquid, putting it in a grill pan and dropping some frozen chicken wings into it. Then I'll let them marinate/cook on the grill.

And I was wondering the same thing re: Kylie. I've seen many holiday dinner threads started days before the holiday, but we still have a daily dinner thread anyway.
Besides, wake up? I don't think she sleeps! :LOL:

Puffy dogs - another Aussie term I had to look up. We call those pigs in a blanket :) Love them.

How many people are you having over? ;)

Yes, it is GG :LOL:

They are lovely, I look forward to them every year :yum:

It is always just Steve and I for the buffet...we make loads and then we have the rest for breakfast on Christmas morning...which is now...time to go tuck in :LOL:

And I was wondering the same thing re: Kylie. I've seen many holiday dinner threads started days before the holiday, but we still have a daily dinner thread anyway.
Besides, wake up? I don't think she sleeps! :LOL:

ROFL :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I actually got 7.5 hours sleep last night...not too bad eh ;)

Yep, that was our dinner for last night (Christmas Eve)

I have some flauta's that just need baked (Costco) and I'll make some Cuban Black Beans and Rice in my pressure cooker. (I foresee many pressure cooker meals in my future.=0)

Guacamole. Salad. Fin.

I got some ahi limu poke and some spicey ahi poke for appetizers. That would be our local raw fish cubes with various spices that we love so much here.

Salvadoran tamales? How interesting. How do they differ from Mexican tamales?

They differ by quite a bit. Each Central American and many South American countries have their own variation of tamales with different combination of ingredients. Here in SoCal, Mexican, Guatemalan, and Salvadoran tamales are the most popular.

They differ by quite a bit. Each Central American and many South American countries have their own variation of tamales with different combination of ingredients. Here in SoCal, Mexican, Guatemalan, and Salvadoran tamales are the most popular.

This answer reminds me of when someone recently asked (on another forum) how to tell the difference between an authentic collector's piece and a reproduction one. The answer was; "the color and the seam are different"
Really? In what way to let ME know? :rolleyes:
Off to Google Mexican tamales vs Salvadoran tamales, as I was curious myself.

Dinner ended up being some sausage (already cooked) someone had brought me. Pretty good, too. And some pickled green beans.

Salvadoran tamales? How interesting. How do they differ from Mexican tamales?

Here's something I found, Kay.

"For those who don't know the difference between Salvadoran tamales and Mexican ones, the Salvadoran ones use white corn masa instead of yellow corn masa. The white masa is ground smoother, so that the end result is a creamy, sweeter texture wrapped around the central flavor. The tamale wrapper is a banana leaf instead of a Mexican corn husk, and the meat filling also includes salty green olives,small meaty garbanzo beans, and pieces of smooth potato. All of which deliver a heady mixture of textures and flavors that are comfortingly familiar, yet exotically different! No sauce is needed, and none are provided for either the chicken or pork versions. I myself prefer the pork, as it is slow-cooked carnitas-style, and as a result is moist,tender and flavorful."
From: Gloria's Salvadoran tamales...glorious! (long) - Los Angeles Area - Chowhound

I haven't even eaten a tamale, but I like the sounds of the Salvadoran ones :yum:

Chinese for us.....then off to visit friends

**huh** Pacanis, "never had a Tamale"???? You gotta get out more man! Of make your own. ;)

Chinese for us.....then off to visit friends

**huh** Pacanis, "never had a Tamale"???? You gotta get out more man! Of make your own. ;)

I don't live in a tamale kind of town, even the city is tamale-less.
A few years ago I searched all over for a large tamale pot for a project and there wasn't one to be had.

Normally we have fried haddock, ravioli, peas, corn, and crescent rolls (it is sort of a family tradition) but this year we were invited out to dinner at a friends home. Dinner was "Christmas pasta" (rigatoni with peas and red peppers in a cream sauce), and salmon or chicken.

Puffy dogs - another Aussie term I had to look up. We call those pigs in a blanket :) Love them.

GG, are pigs in blankets little sausages wrapped in bacon?

If so, puffy dogs are different...puffy dogs are little sausages and wrapped in puff pastry :)

Not like anything I have had before, very tasty and leaves you wanting more and more of them :LOL:

Marathon_Puffy_Dogs_600g__40647_zoom.jpg

I don't live in a tamale kind of town, even the city is tamale-less.
A few years ago I searched all over for a large tamale pot for a project and there wasn't one to be had.

I have an easy recipe for tamales if you'd like to try them. You don't need a special pot - I use a 5.5-quart Dutch oven with a steamer insert.

I'll probably make filets mignon from the Omaha Steaks package we received for Christmas.

GG, are pigs in blankets little sausages wrapped in bacon?

If so, puffy dogs are different...puffy dogs are little sausages and wrapped in puff pastry :)

Not like anything I have had before, very tasty and leaves you wanting more and more of them :LOL:

No, they're little sausages wrapped in crescent rolls. They are definitely addicting :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom