Dinner December! 1, 2017 ~ Last Month Standing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that the last month of 2017 has started. :ermm: Just so long as we aren't cooking our last meals, I guess it's OK. ;)

I have mushrooms to use up. I'll saute them, add them to a handy jar of Alfredo sauce (from Aldi), and serve it up over whole wheat pasta. Salad for a side.

What's cookin', good lookin'.

Pizza tonight, pudding for later..

I am in full "empty the freezer" mode.. Everything must be used up this month.. Thought while looking through my freezer, "Why in hell do I have so much chicken?" :wacko:

Ross

Rice and Beans at the doghouse tonight. The black beans have diced onion, lots of garlic, bacon, and a few whole cayenne peppers from the garden in the mix.

The peppers I'm getting right now are too hot to use any other way. Simmering whole in my beans added just the right amount of heat.

I used the bacon fat to sauté the onions and garlic. Baaaaccccooon.

CD

Attachments

• RiceBeans-12-17.jpg
    RiceBeans-12-17.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 156
We had birthday a celebration today. Our granddaughter has the same birthday as I do. The three of us went into Boston to do the tourist thing for GD. Then we went out to dinner at a local Japanese restaurant.

We had cocktails and gyosa, chicken poppers and the Japanese version of crab rangoon for appetizers. SO had shrimp tempura for dinner while GD and I had sushi; eel and avocado, tuna, salmon and cream cheese and California roll. Dessert was two ginger ice creams and a coconut ice cream.

My sister and grandfather had the same birthday. She was born a month early, too. She's been late for everything ever since. :LOL:

CD

TB had chicken thighs, rice, and veggies. I had Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots, steamed with vegan spread (not as bad as it sounds). I am finding that sticking to a non-inflammatory diet is working. I have also lost 15 pounds in the last 6 months! I am getting protein, just not in this meal ;)

We had birthday a celebration today. Our granddaughter has the same birthday as I do. The three of us went into Boston to do the tourist thing for GD. Then we went out to dinner at a local Japanese restaurant.

We had cocktails and gyosa, chicken poppers and the Japanese version of crab rangoon for appetizers. SO had shrimp tempura for dinner while GD and I had sushi; eel and avocado, tuna, salmon and cream cheese and California roll. Dessert was two ginger ice creams and a coconut ice cream.

Andy, I LOVE showing off Boston to out-of-towners. Everywhere you turn or walk you are walking over history of the start of this country.

We had take-out Chinese food tonight. I was exhausted when I got home from the doctor's. So it was a welcome meal. It looks like there is an excellent chance they can save it. One of the ulcers has healed and two others have turned around.

We went down to the German Christmas market (Wienachtsmarkt) that our country club hosts every year on the boardwalk by the lake.

We picked up a few decorations, then pigged out on sauerbraten, wienerschnitzel, pork shanks, spaetzle, and hot pickled red cabbage.

Some pics:

Attachments

• Wienachtmarket 1.jpg
    Wienachtmarket 1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 119
  • Wienachtmarket 2.jpg
    Wienachtmarket 2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Wienachtmarket 3.jpg
    Wienachtmarket 3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Wienachtmarket 6.jpg
    Wienachtmarket 6.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 105
Andy, one of my granddaughters shares a birthday with her uncle, and another one shares a birthday with her great-grandmother (my Mom). Their Mom has said no more birthday presents like that.

Mom had scrambled eggs & cheese with a sliced tomato, I had a ham & cheese quesadilla with a salad and a HUGE banana muffin. We split a Little Debbie Christmas Tree cake later.

We went down to the German Christmas market (Wienachtsmarkt) that our country club hosts every year on the boardwalk by the lake.

We picked up a few decorations, then pigged out on sauerbraten, wienerschnitzel, pork shanks, spaetzle, and hot pickled red cabbage.

Some pics:

Would love to have been to that festival... :yum:

Ross

I had a craving for potato skins and kielbasa in the fridge, so I made the skins and browned the kielbasa in the bacon fat. I also heated up sauerkraut with crushed caraway seeds (the pan ran dry, so it got a little brown [emoji38] ) Added some homemade applesauce and pickles to the plate and it was dinner!
1201171957.jpg

Last edited:
The old Chinatown section of Cleveland has done a Night Market the last two summers. We got to go this year and had a great time. Food, independent vendors, food, music and entertainment, food...

Some pics:

Bucky T, we have a German Christmas Market in Vancouver. I think it has been running for about 8 years now. Unfortunately, I have not been (don't make it into the city very often) but it is very popular and my German friends say it is pretty much authentic to those they went to back home.

Back
Top Bottom