"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Master Chef

Dinner Feb. 6, '15

I'm making Chicken Adobo tonight Filipino Chicken Adobo
but this time I'm adding some coconut milk. I saw Al Roker do it that way on the Today show this morning so I'll give it a try. He also reduced the sauce after the chicken was done, and wilted some fresh spinach in the sauce before pouring it over the rice. Report later tonight.

What's your plan for dinner tonight?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

A cup of kale soup and zucchini casserole.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Head Chef

Fajitzas, pizzas made with large flour tortillas, 1 philly cheese steak and 1 with the rest of the tequila-lime-garlic marinated grilled chicken Craig did earlier in the week. Using Chihuahua cheese.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
Master Chef

I think I'm just going to have a big salad with lots of veggies, dressed with Marie's chipotle ranch dressing. Mmm...love that stuff.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
Head Chef

American Kobe Filet Mignon cook sous vide

DSC_0825 by powerplantop, on Flickr
Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm making Chicken Adobo tonight Filipino Chicken Adobo
but this time I'm adding some coconut milk. I saw Al Roker do it that way on the Today show this morning so I'll give it a try. He also reduced the sauce after the chicken was done, and wilted some fresh spinach in the sauce before pouring it over the rice. Report later tonight.

What's your plan for dinner tonight?
My report is Al Roker knows what he's talking about.

I eliminated the water in the above recipe I've used for years, and added a can of coconut milk along with some lemongrass. I added the fresh baby spinach to the mix just before I served it over Asian noodles(rather than rice) and topped with chopped green onions. Dang....

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Tom Kha Gai (chicken soup w/ coconut milk) is simmering. We had a cooking class at my library by a Thai caterer who shared her grandmother's recipe. Hope mine is half as good...
Old 02-07-2015, 01:03 AM   #8
Master Chef

Testing, Testing. Yup, the smoke detectors work.

With all this cold and snow we've been getting, I thought I would give us a touch of summer for dinner. Nice sirloin steak, mushrooms sauteed in Sherry, asparagus, standard tossed salad. Um, yeah. Let's just say I am never searing a steak on the stove in a CI pan ever again. The steak was excellent, seared just right 30 seconds a side, then finished off in the oven for just under 3 minutes. Roasted the asparagus while the steak was resting. Everything was yum! But those smoke detectors were blaring for almost two hours!!! Finally, when only one of the six detectors was still flashing red, Himself disconnected it from the entire system and pulled its battery. That danged last one still chirped for another minute or two!

Cheesecake for dessert. After the chirping was done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-06 21.41.26.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	22569  
Old 02-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
With all this cold and snow we've been getting, I thought I would give us a touch of summer for dinner. Nice sirloin steak, mushrooms sauteed in Sherry, asparagus, standard tossed salad. Um, yeah. Let's just say I am never searing a steak on the stove in a CI pan ever again. The steak was excellent, seared just right 30 seconds a side, then finished off in the oven for just under 3 minutes. Roasted the asparagus while the steak was resting. Everything was yum! But those smoke detectors were blaring for almost two hours!!! Finally, when only one of the six detectors was still flashing red, Himself disconnected it from the entire system and pulled its battery. That danged last one still chirped for another minute or two!

Cheesecake for dessert. After the chirping was done.
That's why they make propane jet cookers. Seriously though I feel and know your pain. An idiot former owner of my dad's house decided to put a smoke detector in the kitchen. That's great if you never fry bacon or roast at high heat or ever have a boil over on the stove. If you do, get ready to have your ears blasted.

I had to stay with him and take care of him for a while when step mom, who rarely cooks and uses microwave a lot, was in the hospital. I was about ready to rip that thing down.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
Wine Guy

We went out last night, and I had smoked prime rib. Oh my goodness! I've never had it smoked before, but the flavor was out of this world. I ate half of the 12 oz portion and brought the other half home. I finished the other half for breakfast this morning, topped with butter, and along side some bacon.

You'd think eating all of this meat and would be wreaking havoc on my digestive tract and making me bigger, but I actually woke up this morning down a pound and a half from where I was yesterday - and down almost five pounds from where I was last week.

Tags
dinner