Dinner, February 17th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a friend for dinner

my friend wallie came for dinner. i made shrimp scampi, jasmine rice and mixed veg with a cheese sauce. for desert i made warm lemon pudding cake.

she had two helpings of everything. she must have liked it. she is kinda picky eater so it is hard to please her.

babe:chef::chef:

Vera, I ditto that, your pizzas sound real good!

I was planning on some homemade mozzarella from local italian market, Uncle Bob's dressing, fresh bread, with a basil leaf and roma tomato - yum! However, between my son being sick AGAIN and me starting with a sore throat and body aches, I think this glass of merlot will do it.
Oh crud, I'm sorry darling...........and the little guy, but then, you knew it was just around the corner unfortunately right? rats, those body aches and cold sore throat things are really going around, I started with one last week too but drank a quart of oj everyday and that's a lot of vitamin c.

sorry to hear your little guy is sick, m-squared. we're going through the same thing lately. one cold after another. fortunately, my boy has timed it so as not to miss school and gets sick on vacations. he's off this week, and it sounds like another one is coming on.
i was hoping to go skiing, but, we'll have to see.

last night i made a very dark chicken picatta that was outstanding.

i had about 6 large, thin-sliced chicken breasts that were dusted with flour mixed with s&p and a healthy amount of sweet hungarian paprika.
they are quickly fried in evoo and butter, set aside, and the pan was deglazed with a can of chicken stock and the juice of half a lemon.
then the stock was reduced, and a tbsp each of lemon zest and parsley was added. the sauce was thickened with a cornstarch slurry, the chicken placed back into the pan, turning in the sauce, and a tbsp of capers were added. finally, 2 tbsps of butter were placed on top and the pan covered and the flame turned off to allow the chicken to finish cooking from residual heat.

the sauce was rich, lemony, and buttery, and was a dark, carmel brown from the use of paprika and butter in the first step.

the chicken was so tender that you could cut it easily with a fork.

Wow, to all who are sick or have sick loved ones, my heart goes out to you. Prayers for good health.

For me, in some ways I am quite enjoying being incapacitated with this unexplained swollen knee. Since I can't walk or stand much, DH has been trying to pinch hit in the kitchen and last night I talked him through my braised side ribs, roasted root veg, salad and home made biscuits. It's one of his and our border's favourite Sunday night meals and he did an absolutely wonderful job of it. He is getting more confident and sometimes even second-guessing what I am going to say for the next step.

While I really can't wait to get up and moving again, this is good for him. I just hope I won't have to fight for the kitchen when I get my "walking papers":LOL:

Back
Top Bottom