Dinner for Breakfast - 7/23/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjmmytunes

Head Chef
Hope no one minds that I started the thread today. We had dinner for breakfast today - didn't feel like having all the stuff going in the middle of the day.

Marinated some chicken in Italian dressing overnight and cooked them in the broiler. Used the rice cooker to fix some rice, and warmed up some green beans and corn in the microwave. Haven't had rice for supper, so I'm curious to see what my blood sugar will do with it. Or should I say what it will do to my blood sugar?

Mind? Hey, go for it Cindi! Now that's a new one on me..dinner for breakfast, but why not? Sounds good to me.

I'm putting together a dinner this morning to be cooked later in my handy dandy Nesco Roaster to beat the heat this evening. I got out some boneless skinless thighs and I'll be making Chicken Cacciatore in it. First I'll boil up some pasta in the roaster this morning, and add it to the completed dish before serving tonight.
Looks like many of us are using tricks to keep heat out of the kitchen.

I am doing a beef roast so I can have some meat for TB's sandwiches. I am going to try a little, but beef isn't the easiest for me to swallow or digest. But I am planning lots with it.

I am doing a spaghetti squash, roasted potatoes, asparagus, and TB will have tomatoes.

I believe I'm going to satisfy a craving today...

Fettuccine Alfredo for Two and a green salad...

Ross

Oh, Yum! I wish I could still eat that! It is one of my favourite pasta dishes. But since I can't have the pasta, and most of the sauce ingredients it won't be on my menu.

Enjoy! :)

Oh, Yum! I wish I could still eat that! It is one of my favourite pasta dishes. But since I can't have the pasta, and most of the sauce ingredients it won't be on my menu.

Enjoy! :)

:) Its a bit heavy with cream for me but once in a while I just have to have it.. Of course that means I have to have a "light" dessert but, that's ok... I'll eat a veggie medley tomorrow.. :rolleyes:

Ross

Ross, I was going to ask where your dessert figured into that menu. :chef:

I'm making Panzanella again! I really enjoy it, but it surprises me each time at how much Himself enjoys it. Basically raw veggies and fresh croutons, and he thinks is a great supper. I know nutrition and calorie-wise it's pretty friendly. Hmm, maybe I should be making a dessert tonight. :LOL:

I am smoking some beef ribs today.

This is my third attempt with the Treager pellet smoker. The first was a disaster, the second produced some great looking, tender, juicy, pull of the bone clean BB Ribs -- that had NO smoke flavor at all.

I got some better pellets, and an A--Maze-N smoke tube to try to improve on the smoke. So far it looks good.

I've had to re-start the Treager twice, now. It just stops for no apparent reason. What a waste of money.

CD

Well, had to bail out on the Treager. It went out, again, and when I went through the restart, it shot up to 400-something degrees, and when I opened the door, flames shot out three feet in the air. My %#%$@ smoker was on fire.

I donned my welder's gloves and saved the meat. My beef ribs are now smoking on my cheap but trusty Weber Kettle.

I think I'm going to make a skewer of red and yellow bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms for a side.

No dessert.

CD

We had bulgogi style marinaded/sauced beef stir fry with onions, green onions, shiso, and bean sprouts over jasmine rice. Shrimp scallion pancakes as a side. Shoju as a beverage.

9UQmDCo-0lxtk72KHTCL6P_BlL_JiDQ_vTta4AQYIUopX92IB

Breakfast For Dinner!!

Hope no one minds that I started the thread today. We had dinner for breakfast today - didn't feel like having all the stuff going in the middle of the day.

Marinated some chicken in Italian dressing overnight and cooked them in the broiler. Used the rice cooker to fix some rice, and warmed up some green beans and corn in the microwave. Haven't had rice for supper, so I'm curious to see what my blood sugar will do with it. Or should I say what it will do to my blood sugar?

Cindi, that doesn't sound so bad to me. In Hawaii we eat more dinner type items for breakfast than breakfast stuff.
Loco Moco
Spam Musubi
Fried Rice with an Egg on top
002.jpg
YUM!! Spam Fried Rice at that!
Plate lunch
Soups like Congee or Jook, even my personal fav-Chicken Long Rice, MMM!
032.JPG

Ross, I was going to ask where your dessert figured into that menu. :chef:

I'm making Panzanella again! I really enjoy it, but it surprises me each time at how much Himself enjoys it. Basically raw veggies and fresh croutons, and he thinks is a great supper. I know nutrition and calorie-wise it's pretty friendly. Hmm, maybe I should be making a dessert tonight. :LOL:

A dessert ALWAYS figures into my menu... After all, I'm in my third childhood.. ;) And yes, you should make a dessert.. Tell Himself you need some private kitchen time while he reads or watches the news.. :ermm:

CD... Bummer on the Treager... Get a refund...

K-Girl... I love Loco Moco...

Ross

Last edited:
A dessert ALWAYS figures into my menu... After all, I'm in my third childhood.. ;) And yes, you should make a dessert.. Tell Himself you need some private kitchen time while he reads or watches the news.. :ermm:

CD... Bummer on the Treager... Get a refund...

K-Girl... I love Loco Moco...

Ross

The beef ribs were good, thanks to the Webber and a good pair of welder's gloves. I even still have my eyebrows.

That fight starts tomorrow. :angry:

I rented John Wick, Chapter Two to watch tonight. That should get me ready. :bash:

CD

A dessert ALWAYS figures into my menu... After all, I'm in my third childhood.. ;) And yes, you should make a dessert.. Tell Himself you need some private kitchen time while he reads or watches the news...
I always have alone-time when I'm in the kitchen. Himself stays out until I say "the food's ready"! :LOL: I don't poke around in his basement woodshop when he's working, he stays far away from me in the kitchen. He will, however, show up if I need his help with a heavy pot or something. ~ Never bothered with dessert. When it comes to that, I'm a little bit like Scarlett in that department: "Aftah all, tomorrah is anothah day". :cool:

Portrait of a Salad. Panzanella, to be exact.

Attachments

• 20170723_230100.jpg
    20170723_230100.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 148
Mind? Hey, go for it Cindi! Now that's a new one on me..dinner for breakfast, but why not? Sounds good to me.

I'm putting together a dinner this morning to be cooked later in my handy dandy Nesco Roaster to beat the heat this evening. I got out some boneless skinless thighs and I'll be making Chicken Cacciatore in it. First I'll boil up some pasta in the roaster this morning, and add it to the completed dish before serving tonight.
Looks like many of us are using tricks to keep heat out of the kitchen.

Your dinner sounds delicious, think I will have to try it sometime.

I'm putting together a dinner this morning to be cooked later in my handy dandy Nesco Roaster to beat the heat this evening.

I was given a Nesco Roaster at my bridal shower, and all the women oohed and aahed at it. My MIL told me how lucky I was to have one. But I've never used it, and that was 14 years ago. It's just been sitting in my cabinet. What do you like about it?

Honestly, I think my reservation with using it is that it can't go in the dishwasher. :) I hate hand washing.

Also, I eat dinner for breakfast all the time. I don't make it especially for breakfast, but I eat my dinner leftovers at breakfast pretty regularly.

I was given a Nesco Roaster at my bridal shower, and all the women oohed and aahed at it. My MIL told me how lucky I was to have one. But I've never used it, and that was 14 years ago. It's just been sitting in my cabinet. What do you like about it?

Honestly, I think my reservation with using it is that it can't go in the dishwasher. :) I hate hand washing.

Also, I eat dinner for breakfast all the time. I don't make it especially for breakfast, but I eat my dinner leftovers at breakfast pretty regularly.

CubsGal, there's not a single thing I don't like about my full temperature control 6qt Nesco Roaster. It does anything a crockpot can do only better, plus so much more.
The removable cooking well can go in the dishwasher if you really want to use up all that room, but the grocery store carries crockpot disposable liners for quick clean up. Get that terrific gift out of the cabinet Girl!!;)

Back
Top Bottom