Dinner for Fri. 3/16/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a special dispensation from St. Paddy himself for this lent Fri. :lucky:

:D SC and I will be leaving tomorrow for a fun weekend away from home so I'll be cooking my traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner for tonight.

What's going on at your house?

I haven't figured out the religious overtones about this or why, but the local archbishop is indeed granting special dispensation and it's ok to eat corned beef today even though St Paddy's day is tomorrow. We are not catholic and don't follow Lenten rules beyond who has the best Friday fish dinners. Not wanting to push our luck too far, I am stopping for Chinese take out on the way over to Dx's for dinner. Shrimp curry, sesame chicken, so-so egg rolls.

I'm guessing with 100% certainty that the half gallon minty choc chip ice cream we had some of just the other night is gone, so I will pick up a new carton different flavor for dessert.

I haven't figured out the religious overtones about this or why, but the local archbishop is indeed granting special dispensation and it's ok to eat corned beef today even though St Paddy's day is tomorrow. We are not catholic and don't follow Lenten rules beyond who has the best Friday fish dinners. Not wanting to push our luck too far, I am stopping for Chinese take out on the way over to Dx's for dinner. Shrimp curry, sesame chicken, so-so egg rolls.

I'm guessing with 100% certainty that the half gallon minty choc chip ice cream we had some of just the other night is gone, so I will pick up a new carton different flavor for dessert.

Haa...I had no idea and was just kidding about being special. :LOL:
I'm Catholic as was my Dad, but my Mom was not. In those days it was fish every Fri. and Mom didn't like fish. She said Catholics had to eat fish because St. Peter was a fisherman and he needed the business. ;)
There might be some truth to that, but my Mom was a hoot.

Last edited:
Homemade pizza on the grill.

Margherita
Guanciale with leeks, ricotta and moz
Pepperoni
Italian sausage with onion, green and red bell peppers

Attachments

• 2018-03-16 18.23.16.jpg
    2018-03-16 18.23.16.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 2018-03-16 18.22.45.jpg
    2018-03-16 18.22.45.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 2018-03-16 18.23.44.jpg
    2018-03-16 18.23.44.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 2018-03-16 18.22.09.jpg
    2018-03-16 18.22.09.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 119
Thin sirloin steak cooked on CI stove top grill pan, Knorr stroganoff side dish and frozen sweet peas.

GD is having leftover rotisserie chicken with stuffing and broccoli. SO and I are having country-style ribs with pilaf and a salad.

. She said Catholics had to eat fish because St. Peter was a fisherman and he needed the business. ;)
There might be some truth to that, but my Mom was a hoot.

ROFLOL! That's great! I'm stealing that one. Thanks, K-L.

I saw a great sale on PEI mussels this morning, so I picked up a bag, probably about 3 dozen medium to small sized for $7.

Then I "assisted" DW in making them in a marinara sauce from scratch since she'd never made mussels nor a scratch sauce before.

Man, they were fantastic. They were so fresh and almost creamy in texture they were so tender.

DW also made a frozen mushroom topped foccacia to go with them.

Last edited:
I made Kayelle's Greek Inspired Chicken and Orzo skillet bake that she posted in yesterday's dinner thread. It was delicious!! Perfect lemon and Greek seasoning....this is def going into my rotation. The only thing I did different was halve the recipe since it's just me, and sprinkle the leftover parsley on top.

chicken an orzo bake1.jpg

Plated for dinner
chicken and orzo bake2.jpg

I had fish on Wednesday and Thursday in New Orleans, redfish on Wednesday, a catfish po-boy and some seafood gumbo on Thursday. I have no idea what to have tonight. I'm worn out.

CD

Mostly for DH's b day, chicken bbq empanadas with lemon pound cake and lemon cream cheese icing. Green peppers raw, apple slices.

I made Kayelle's Greek Inspired Chicken and Orzo skillet bake that she posted in yesterday's dinner thread. It was delicious!! Perfect lemon and Greek seasoning....this is def going into my rotation. The only thing I did different was halve the recipe since it's just me, and sprinkle the leftover parsley on top.

View attachment 29458

Plated for dinner
View attachment 29459

That looks wonderful Cheryl, and so glad you liked it too. I think it would make a good company dish also. I bet your brother would dig into that?!

Sometime back, one of our neighbors on our closed social media, was offering, very kindly, Halibut Fillets that her husband had caught in Alaska on his last trip.
He brought back WAY too much and she had said that they just couldn't eat any more fish :LOL: WHAT?! There's never too much fish as far as DH and I are concerned!! :ROFLMAO:
It was frozen rock-solid, so I just chucked into our deep freeze and forgot all about it. After going freezer-diving the other day to take inventory, I found it!!!

DSC06973.JPG

Almost 2 pounds of primo Alaska Halibut Fillets went onto the BBQ, portioned out appropriately for single servings, that's a lot!
(I really should send her a nice card ... have you seen what this stuff costs?)

DSC06974.JPG

ONO~LICIOUS!!!
(That's really tasty in my world ;))

AND we still have plenty leftover, so I bagged & tagged it and put in a very visible locale in the indoor freezer :chef:

You lucky peeps Kgirl! There's nothing better than Alaskan halibut and the prices for it prove that. It's my very favorite fish! I'm glad you put it on your grill and I wish I could have given you a Meyer lemon off my tree to go with it. Wow..is that little tree loaded!

This reminds me of a few pilots that I hung out with in a pub in NYC years ago. They used to fly a cargo route to and from Alaska every few weeks.
After a good load of bragging, one night we made a deal to swap some of my homegrown Jersey tomatoes for their home caught Copper River salmon.

The next time they were in NYC the deal was made. A big, brown paper bag of perfectly ripe, red, juicy tomatoes for a vacuum sealed bag of beautiful, deep orange salmon portions.

We both made out like bandits.

Me too.

I heard K-girl has a nice halibutt. :cool:

All I can offer now is snow, oak and hickory firewood, and pine boughs. And snow.

But trout season starts in 8 days here so....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom