Dinner for Monday, July 21?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I've got a chicken in the freezer that needs to be freed, I'm going to make GotGarlic's honey curry soy marinated chicken, some potato pakets and a salad.
You?

Filipino meal Im going to attempt to make!

Giniling Turo-Turo Style with lumpia on the side! (I spent about 3 hrs rolling lumpia, made a full package of 50!)

Giniling Turo-Turo Style (dish from filipino fast food)
Ingredients:
1 Lb. Ground beef (lean)
1 Cup of diced potatoes
½ Cup diced carrots
½ Cup Frozen green peas
½ Red bell pepper diced
½ Yellow bell pepper diced
1 Small onion diced
1 Small tomato diced
4 Cloves of garlic peeled and smashed
½ Tsp. Ground black pepper
½ Tsp. MSG (vetsin), optional
2 Tbs. Annatto seeds (atsuwete)
2 Tbs. Soy sauce
1 Tbs. Fish sauce (Rufina brand) Patis
Corn oil
Directions:
Prepare the Annatto seeds in a small pot by heating 2 Tbs. of corn oil and then adding 2 Tbs. of Annatto seeds until the oil turns dark red.
Then remove it from the heat. Make sure that you do not burn the seed.
In a large pan brown ground beef and drain. Add garlic and let it sauté for about 3 minutes.
Then add the onions, tomatoes, black pepper, msg, (vetsin) and fish sauce (patis) and let it cook for 2 minutes on medium high heat.
Add the potatoes, carrots, green peas, and soy sauce. Stir and cover. Let it simmer for 1 minute.
Using a strainer add the colored corn oil from the annatto seeds into the pot and mix well.
Replace cover and let it cook for 5 minutes over medium low heat. Then add the bell peppers. Stir well and adjust the taste by adding salt and pepper if needed.
Cover and let it cook for another 2 minutes. Serve with rice topped with Turo-Turo style Giniling.

I'm going to marinate some tuna in honey, lime and cilantro, then will grill it and also grill some veggies, zucchini,eggplant, halved tomatoes and I've got some couscous I'm going to make and want to add some orange juice and zest and a few toasted pine nuts or almonds not sure yet...dessert I have some strawberry ice cream I just put in the freezer so that is it.

kadesma;)

Giniling Turo-Turo Style with lumpia on the side! (I spent about 3 hrs rolling lumpia, made a full package of 50!)

Giniling Turo-Turo Style (dish from filipino fast food)
You are amazing! I bought annatto seeds yesterday and now I don't know what to do with them! Rick Bayless always uses Achiote so I though Annatto Seeds would get me rolling, but I don't know how to use them. Do you leave the seeds in this dish, or should you strain them out of the oil after the oil turns red?

Oh yeah- We're having City Chicken tonight with roasted cauliflower.

If you don't know what city chicken is, here's a hint...

It ain't Chicken!

Do you leave the seeds in this dish, or should you strain them out of the oil after the oil turns red?

It says to strain the oil so I assume you throw the seeds out.

So what is it if it isn't chicken? :) I've never heard of it! I love roasted or fried califlower, it completely changes the flavor and makes it sooo scrumptious!!

It says to strain the oil so I assume you throw the seeds out.

So what is it if it isn't chicken? :) I've never heard of it! I love roasted or fried califlower, it completely changes the flavor and makes it sooo scrumptious!!
Ah I see that now. I thought the straining part was referring to a different part of the recipe. Thanks for pointing that out.

City Chicken is common in the Pittsburgh region and refers to Pork Cubes on a Stick. The cubes are intended to look like chicken drumsticks and are fried to taste somewhat like fried chicken. A century ago, chicken was much more expensive than pork and this was a mock-chicken dish. Today we still eat it because it's delicious and a family tradition.

Roll pork cubes in flour seasoned with S&P and thyme. Skewer on short wooden sticks. Fry in 1/4 inch of olive oil until toasty brown on all sides. Deglaze the pan with chicken stock and move pan to the oven to finish cooking. Serve with the pan "gravy."

PS I was 23 before I found out City Chicken wasn't chicken...

Last edited:
hmmm that sounds good! I have some country style bnls pork ribs, you can cut those up and use them right? or does it need to be a leaner cut? Also I just bought a thyme plant yesterday at a farmers market, so that just might be my first recipe to use some of it for!
I took a peek at your websight, that cheese cake looks to die for!
Do you have the city chicken recipe on there also?

hmmm that sounds good! I have some country style bnls pork ribs, you can cut those up and use them right? or does it need to be a leaner cut? Also I just bought a thyme plant yesterday at a farmers market, so that just might be my first recipe to use some of it for!
I took a peek at your websight, that cheese cake looks to die for!
Do you have the city chicken recipe on there also?

I don't see why that wouldn't work with the spareribs, but I wouldn't want to waste those!! I don't have the recipe posted, but I plan to add it after I make the dish tonight. I'll get it up and let you know so you can make City Chicken tomorrow!

Dinner tonight July 21

It is HOT and HUMID today. Scramble eggs Tossed Green Salad with my homemade dressing Yogurt and fruit dessert Local Bakery fresh baked bread. Prefer NYTimes home baked....too hot to bake. Aria

Dinner tonight? hmmmmmm I made pesto yesterday.

I'm thinking pasta with pesto, tossed green salad with fresh heirloom Jersey tomatoes.... that sounds good, and won't heat up the kitchen too much.

For dessert, we have home made ice cream (French Vanilla) and fresh red raspberries. :) I love summer food! Actually, I really love seasonal food.

We have some leftover grilled chicken, so I'm going to make pesto fettuccine with chicken, chopped tomatoes and chopped Fresno chiles from the garden; I might have some more spring peas still in the freezer I could add. And I'm going to pick up some fresh mozzarella on the way home to make caprese salads.

We have some leftover grilled chicken, so I'm going to make pesto fettuccine with chicken, chopped tomatoes and chopped Fresno chiles from the garden; I might have some more spring peas still in the freezer I could add. And I'm going to pick up some fresh mozzarella on the way home to make caprese salads.

mmmm sounds good, I use to order this fettuccini with grilled chicken and pesto next door to my old job, the pesto sauce was a creamy one and they added some bell peppers and other mixed veggies.....so tasty but it felt so bad for you...I guess because of the cream added!

Finally going to get that flank steak cooked; however, instead of stuffing it DH will do it on the grill. Not sure of the sides yet though I am thinking of a spinach and mandarin salad. I am also hoping that the others can come up with things as I am not really in the creative mood.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom