Dinner for Oct. 3, 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Dreary and wet here today, so it's soup weather I guess.

I pulled out a frozen package of Zuppa Toscana for dinner and cheese quesadilla's will be on the side.

What's cookin' good lookin'?:chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been inspired by Casey's recent short ribs dinner, so that's what was on the menu today. Almost done cleaning up the kitchen. I took a quick pic, and will post it if it turned out OK. It's been kind of dark and dreary here today as well. Dinner sure was good, though. :yum:

Last edited by a moderator:
I started with roasted Adriatic octopus with fingerling potato, green bean and
cherry tomato salad, black garlic vinaigrette. Mrs. T had a salad of greens, Casatica cheese, vegetable sott'olio. Our main course was braised veal Osso Buco, farmers cheese arancini, olives, rosemary, fennel and citrus. All accompanied by a bottle of Ripassa.

After doing fall garden work all afternoon, I was a bit tired to make much for dinner.

I made a grilled ham and Jarlsberg sandwich on coarse brown bread with a secret sauce-- spoonful of apricot preserves mixed with a little colman dry mustard and an few shakes of tiger sauce. Pretty good.

I've been inspired by Casey's recent short ribs dinner, so that's what was on the menu today..... :yum:

Yum. And leftovers for tomorrow. :yum:

Attachments

• short ribs and gravy over mashed.jpg
    short ribs and gravy over mashed.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 114
So colorful, Cheryl!

tenspeed, that sure sounds like a special occasion dinner to me.

After exploring NW Massachusetts and SW Vermont, the four of us ate at a cute diner in Pittsfield. Everyone had sandwich plates. I had the "Chubby Checker", a (real!) turkey, bacon, Cheddar, and tomato grilled sandwich, along with a small tossed salad.

IMG_20181003_190225742.jpg

The Blue Plate Special at Caseydog's Diner tonight was fried pork chops, mashed potatoes, and mushroom gravy.

I used thin cut chops, so I brined them for a few hours before sesoning with S&P, dredging in flour and frying. They were very tender, and moist. They didn't brown much, but there was a crispy crust.

CD

Attachments

• FriedChops001.jpg
    FriedChops001.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Tiger sauce is a sweet (- kinda medium) hot sauce. in my grocers it's usually located near the Worcestershire sauce or in the Asian section. A teaspoon is usually about right in smaller recipes. I used a few good shakes in 2 spoons of jam.

Attachments

• tiger sauce.jpg
    tiger sauce.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 124
So colorful, Cheryl!

tenspeed, that sure sounds like a special occasion dinner to me.

After exploring NW Massachusetts and SW Vermont, the four of us ate at a cute diner in Pittsfield. Everyone had sandwich plates. I had the "Chubby Checker", a (real!) turkey, bacon, Cheddar, and tomato grilled sandwich, along with a small tossed salad.

View attachment 31708

That's my kind of sandwich, CG. :yum: Looks wonderful. Sounds like a fun road trip!

Tiger sauce is a sweet (- kinda medium) hot sauce. in my grocers it's usually located near the Worcestershire sauce or in the Asian section. A teaspoon is usually about right in smaller recipes. I used a few good shakes in 2 spoons of jam.

Thanks, Whiska. I've never seen it, but will look for it and give it a try, based on your sandwich description above. :yum: It sounds like something that would last a while in the fridge.

I marinated chicken breasts in harissa and made a Moroccan inspired chickpea salad. Yes, Dad is out of town, Mom and I are enjoying food outside of his comfort zone.

I tried a new dish last night - Caprese Fish, from a German cookbook given to me by one of our former exchange students. It calls for layering zucchini and tomatoes with fish and mozzarella cheese, seasoned with Italian herbs, salt and pepper; I used Havarti instead and I drizzled the pan and the fish with Tuscan-herb-infused evoo, then finished it with basil after baking. The book suggested serving it with potato purée, which was delish.

It wasn't bad, but I won't make it again. I wanted to try something different, but it turns out we both prefer fish with a bit of crust on it. I'll stick to pan-frying and grilling.
1003181925.jpg1003181930.jpg1003182004.jpg1003182007b.jpg

Last edited:
I started with roasted Adriatic octopus with fingerling potato, green bean and
cherry tomato salad, black garlic vinaigrette. Mrs. T had a salad of greens, Casatica cheese, vegetable sott'olio. Our main course was braised veal Osso Buco, farmers cheese arancini, olives, rosemary, fennel and citrus. All accompanied by a bottle of Ripassa.
Did you make all that? Sounds amazing.

Back
Top Bottom