Dinner for Saturday, December 29th...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flourgirl

Senior Cook
I'm oven "poaching" some chicken breasts in chicken broth and spices, and serving it with a greek salad of romaine, crumbled feta, red onion, cucumber, tomato & kalamata olives with a homemade honey balsamic vinaigrette. (Only a little bit of crumbled feta for me, I'm trying to keep it light). DH will have LOTS of feta on his!

Anyone else?

Hoping I'll get to go to my fave Japanese restaurant. Usually order:

Gyoza

California Roll

Miso soup (comes w dinner)

salad (comes w dinner)

Beef & chicken Teriyaki combo

White Rice (comes with)

Tempura-battered veggies (brocolli, yams, mushrooms, & onion slices)

Last edited:
So far it's French Onion soup.

I think I'm gonna throw some rib eyes on the grill and saute some shrooms....and I have a bag o' caesar.

Giants v. Patriots at 8pm.:boxing:

Trader Vic's

My DH and I are meeting a group of friends at a Trader Vic's. I've never been there before. I believe it is Asian/Polonesian.

Jambalaya

Now that my parents have returned to a warmer climate, I can have spicy food. My dad does not eat anything spicy. The other night at dinner he said that the fresh ground pepper I put on the table was too spicy for him. :)

So, tonight I am making jambalaya. I like to put the red and yellow bellpeppers in along with some green bellpepper. Today, when I went to the store they had a package of the red and yellow bellpeppers on sale. I also have some leftover ham from Christmas dinner that will make a good addition. I might just have a big bowl of jambalaya by itself or I might also put together a green salad to eat with it.

First a bowl of french onion soup, then some fried chicken, mashed potatoes, milk gravy, biscuits butter and honey, and sliced zucchini with onions,garlic,parsley, and eggs..Add parmesan at the end...no desserts, have a devils food cake to finish..
kadesma:)

Pasta with homemade tomato sauce
and left over pie for dessert if we are still hungry.

First a bowl of french onion soup, then some fried chicken, mashed potatoes, milk gravy, biscuits butter and honey, and sliced zucchini with onions,garlic,parsley, and eggs..Add parmesan at the end...no desserts, have a devils food cake to finish..
kadesma:)

cj, I love French onion soup. I will be right over for a bowl. I have never made it from scratch. It is very hard to make?

Thanks, I would love it. I am going shopping on Tuesday and I have the rest of the week off from work. So, I would have time to make the soup and it is suppossed to be snowy at the end of the week, so it would be perfect to have for dinner some night.

French Onion Soup
4 tablespoons butter
3 cups onions ( chopped or sliced) sliced is the normal way but... chopped is easier to eat.
4 cups beef broth
1/2 cup white wine
3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
sliced French bread
swiss cheese
parm. cheese

Melt the butter in a large soup pan.
Add the onions and cook over med. heat until nice and brown.
Stir them every once in awhile so they don't burn.
Add broth, wine and worcestershire sauce and a dash of pepper.

Boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 or 15 minutes.

You can eat it at this point or

put soup in oven safe bowls... top with a slice of bread... top that with the cheese.
Put soup in the oven and bake until the cheese is nice and melted. Turn the broiler on
if you want cooking time to go faster.

I often add stew meat
and sliced mushrooms to mine.

Enjoy!!!

Let me know how you like it. It's really really good with the added beef and mushrooms!!

Our guests just arrived from AZ, if they are not too tired, we'll probably go to a Taqueria around the corner from where they are staying. If they decide to stay in & order pizza, we will eat leftovers from last night...pad thai, grilled chicken & veggies with spicy peanut sauce. I'm hoping for the leftovers!:)

French Onion Soup
4 tablespoons butter
3 cups onions ( chopped or sliced) sliced is the normal way but... chopped is easier to eat.
4 cups beef broth
1/2 cup white wine
3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
sliced French bread
swiss cheese
parm. cheese

Melt the butter in a large soup pan.
Add the onions and cook over med. heat until nice and brown.
Stir them every once in awhile so they don't burn.
Add broth, wine and worcestershire sauce and a dash of pepper.

Boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 or 15 minutes.

You can eat it at this point or

put soup in oven safe bowls... top with a slice of bread... top that with the cheese.
Put soup in the oven and bake until the cheese is nice and melted. Turn the broiler on
if you want cooking time to go faster.

I often add stew meat
and sliced mushrooms to mine.

Enjoy!!!

Sliced onions
Bay leaves
2/3 beef broth 1/3 chicken broth
red wine
salt, pepper
butter
guierre
baguette:chef: