"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-02-2015, 12:39 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You had to do that to me, K-girl.

Looks fantastic!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:36 AM   #12
Master Chef

Bitterly cold here!

I walked over to the office and dropped my rent in the slot. I came home and put on a pot of soup to steam up the kitchen window!

Dinner was leftover munchies from NYE and soup made with collards, beans, carrots, celery, ham bits and broth from Christmas.

I also tried another small dish of zucchini lasagna, in a Pyrex loaf pan. This time I sliced the zucchini, salted it, let it drain under weights for 30 minutes, blotted it dry, roasted it in the oven for 10 minutes at 425 and then assembled the lasagna. That seemed to cure the problem with the excess moisture.

No more cooking until Sunday, just heat and eat!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:39 AM   #13
Senior Cook

First of the frozen leftovers.

Turkey Tetrazzini. Won't post a pic as it was just tetrazzini, but it did look nice, nicely crisped and browned on top. Also tasted good, one of those recipes you have to try hard to spoil!
Old 01-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Bitterly cold here!

I walked over to the office and dropped my rent in the slot. I came home and put on a pot of soup to steam up the kitchen window!

Dinner was leftover munchies from NYE and soup made with collards, beans, carrots, celery, ham bits and broth from Christmas.

I also tried another small dish of zucchini lasagna, in a Pyrex loaf pan. This time I sliced the zucchini, salted it, let it drain under weights for 30 minutes, blotted it dry, roasted it in the oven for 10 minutes at 425 and then assembled the lasagna. That seemed to cure the problem with the excess moisture.

No more cooking until Sunday, just heat and eat!
Good Morning Aunt Bea!

Please write up your lasagna recipe This would be helpful for my diet.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Good Morning Aunt Bea!

Please write up your lasagna recipe This would be helpful for my diet.
Not much of a recipe, more like cleaning out the fridge!

I had a cottage cheese container of tomato sauce with sausage and mushrooms in the freezer that I thawed.

A little more than half a container of cottage cheese drained overnight, in a strainer lined with a coffee filter, in the refrigerator. I added a medium raw egg, a handful of grated Romano cheese and then zapped it with my stick blender until smooth.

Two small/medium dilapidated looking zucchini that I sliced into lasagna noodles using the thick setting on my mandolin. I salted the raw zucchini noodles and placed them in a colander with a mixing bowl and a couple of 28 oz. cans of tomato sauce on them and let them drain for 30 minutes. I blotted them dry and placed them on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray and roasted them for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Next I layered them in a Pyrex 5x9 loaf pan alternating sauce, zucchini, and cheese. I topped it with shredded mozzarella and baked it uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.

It makes three pieces of lasagna for me. It would probably make one piece for you and an Ogre sized piece for your snuggle bunny!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thank you! One more question, what size cottage cheese container?

This sounds perfect!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #17
Head Chef

Tortilla soup with leftover smoked turkey from Thanksgiving with fried corn tortilla strips, queso fresco, sour cream garnishes. It was also supposed to have avocado chunks but i forgot them. :-(
Old 01-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyshiepoo View Post
First of the frozen leftovers.

Turkey Tetrazzini. Won't post a pic as it was just tetrazzini, but it did look nice, nicely crisped and browned on top. Also tasted good, one of those recipes you have to try hard to spoil!
"Just" tetrazzini?? I love turkey tetrazzini and would love to see a picture! It doesn't have to be a fancy holiday meal for us to want pictures
Old 01-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Meanwhile, I have no pictures of last night's dinner, either. DH made the first chicken with the smoker I got him for Christmas. I was lying down when he finished it and he didn't take any pictures! I was bummed. We also had dressing and sautéed green beans with it.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thank you! One more question, what size cottage cheese container?

This sounds perfect!
The sauce and the cottage cheese were in one pound containers. I would guesstimate two cups of thick meaty sauce and 1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese. It was very soupy the first time I made it. I took extra pains to eliminate as much moisture as possible and it came out perfect this time.

This recipe uses eggs for the "noodles". I might experiment with this next for lasagna or low carb manicotti. I'm not crazy about the recipe, but I like the concept.

Low Carb Cheesy Veggie Lasagna Recipe | SparkRecipes

Tags
dinner