Dinner for the first day of 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Happy New Year everyone!

I have a pot of ham hocks, black eyed peas, collard greens and a can of tomatoes on the stove. I might do some cornbread too. My Mama was southern and we always had this on NYD.

It sure smells good~!!

We're still recovering from our trip. Finishing up the homemade chicken soup I defrosted yesterday.

Baked ham, mashed potatoes and gravy. Roasted squash and steamed broccoli. Lots of Christmas goodies, including Christmas pudding and caramel sauce still around for dessert.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I made some ham with southern skillet cabbage saute. Normally, I'd have corn beef and cabbage but decided to change for the new year!

Happy New Year, everyone!

I made blacked eyed peas, fried cabbage, potato salad, bbq chicken, & bbq ribs oh and corn bread....

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Happy New Year everyone!

I have a pot of ham hocks, black eyed peas, collard greens and a can of tomatoes on the stove. I might do some cornbread too. My Mama was southern and we always had this on NYD.

It sure smells good~!!

I think it was Aunt Bea who told me last year to add a little apple cider vinegar to the mix........oh my gosh, it was just delicious.:yum:

049.jpg

Bitterly cold here!

I walked over to the office and dropped my rent in the slot. I came home and put on a pot of soup to steam up the kitchen window! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Dinner was leftover munchies from NYE and soup made with collards, beans, carrots, celery, ham bits and broth from Christmas.

I also tried another small dish of zucchini lasagna, in a Pyrex loaf pan. This time I sliced the zucchini, salted it, let it drain under weights for 30 minutes, blotted it dry, roasted it in the oven for 10 minutes at 425 and then assembled the lasagna. That seemed to cure the problem with the excess moisture.

No more cooking until Sunday, just heat and eat! :yum:

Last edited:
First of the frozen leftovers.

Turkey Tetrazzini. Won't post a pic as it was just tetrazzini, but it did look nice, nicely crisped and browned on top. Also tasted good, one of those recipes you have to try hard to spoil!

Bitterly cold here!

I walked over to the office and dropped my rent in the slot. I came home and put on a pot of soup to steam up the kitchen window! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Dinner was leftover munchies from NYE and soup made with collards, beans, carrots, celery, ham bits and broth from Christmas.

I also tried another small dish of zucchini lasagna, in a Pyrex loaf pan. This time I sliced the zucchini, salted it, let it drain under weights for 30 minutes, blotted it dry, roasted it in the oven for 10 minutes at 425 and then assembled the lasagna. That seemed to cure the problem with the excess moisture.

No more cooking until Sunday, just heat and eat! :yum:

Good Morning Aunt Bea!

Please write up your lasagna recipe:pig: This would be helpful for my diet.

Good Morning Aunt Bea!

Please write up your lasagna recipe:pig: This would be helpful for my diet.

Not much of a recipe, more like cleaning out the fridge!

I had a cottage cheese container of tomato sauce with sausage and mushrooms in the freezer that I thawed.

A little more than half a container of cottage cheese drained overnight, in a strainer lined with a coffee filter, in the refrigerator. I added a medium raw egg, a handful of grated Romano cheese and then zapped it with my stick blender until smooth.

Two small/medium dilapidated looking zucchini that I sliced into lasagna noodles using the thick setting on my mandolin. I salted the raw zucchini noodles and placed them in a colander with a mixing bowl and a couple of 28 oz. cans of tomato sauce on them and let them drain for 30 minutes. I blotted them dry and placed them on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray and roasted them for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Next I layered them in a Pyrex 5x9 loaf pan alternating sauce, zucchini, and cheese. I topped it with shredded mozzarella and baked it uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.

It makes three pieces of lasagna for me. It would probably make one piece for you and an Ogre sized piece for your snuggle bunny! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Thank you! One more question, what size cottage cheese container?

This sounds perfect!

Tortilla soup with leftover smoked turkey from Thanksgiving with fried corn tortilla strips, queso fresco, sour cream garnishes. It was also supposed to have avocado chunks but i forgot them. :-(

First of the frozen leftovers.

Turkey Tetrazzini. Won't post a pic as it was just tetrazzini, but it did look nice, nicely crisped and browned on top. Also tasted good, one of those recipes you have to try hard to spoil!

"Just" tetrazzini?? ;) I love turkey tetrazzini and would love to see a picture! It doesn't have to be a fancy holiday meal for us to want pictures :)

Meanwhile, I have no pictures of last night's dinner, either. DH made the first chicken with the smoker I got him for Christmas. I was lying down when he finished it and he didn't take any pictures! I was bummed. We also had dressing and sautéed green beans with it.

Thank you! One more question, what size cottage cheese container?

This sounds perfect!

The sauce and the cottage cheese were in one pound containers. I would guesstimate two cups of thick meaty sauce and 1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese. It was very soupy the first time I made it. I took extra pains to eliminate as much moisture as possible and it came out perfect this time.

This recipe uses eggs for the "noodles". I might experiment with this next for lasagna or low carb manicotti. I'm not crazy about the recipe, but I like the concept.

Low Carb Cheesy Veggie Lasagna Recipe | SparkRecipes

Back
Top Bottom