Dinner for tonite, Monday December 17th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
got home too late to organize anything of magnitude. so, it's easy bake pork chops, applesauce and onions, baked pots and steam broc. Chocolate cake with coconut frosting because I had it ready a few weeks ago and never got around to it, so tonight the man'll get that, if he ever gets home that is:huh:

A Döner kebab is like a gyro. I have never made it before and I used this recipe Döner kebab. I will be making it again but with a lot less black pepper. Unfortunately, the four hour bake time will keep me from making it often.

I put lettuce and tomato in the center of the plate, with the rice to one side and the sliced meat on the other, and topped it all with the dressing.

Last edited:
A Döner kebab is like a gyro. I have never made it before and I used this recipe Döner kebab. I will be making it again but with a lot less black pepper. Unfortunately, the four hour bake time will keep me from making it often.

I put lettuce and tomato in the center of the plate, with the rice to one side and the sliced meat on the other, and topped it all with the dressing.
Kebabs are hugely popular over here. Kebabs and souvlaki probably top the after pub food list. A kebab here is generally made with slices from a huge mound of lamb and beef (combined) or chicken that has been marinated and slowly turned to cook on a vertical spit. Tend to be salty and fatty but quite tasty. They are wrapped in pitta bread as a roll with only the bottom tucked in and the other left open. They are usually served with salad, tabouleh, cheese, fried egg and sauce (or your combination thereof) in the roll. Vegetarian options are available but don't use a meat alternative, just an absence of meat. If you are dining in, you will get offered to have all the ingredients on a plate with a serve of rice, but as takeaway (or post-pub dining), it is in the rolled-up pita bread. Personally, I prefer a souvlaki as it uses chunks of marinated lamb rather than the sliced meats, but is otherwise pretty much the same. That way you just get lamb and not all the fatty bits that go into the kebab meat compound. And kebab meat does takes hours to prepare.

Last edited:
Bilby, that sounds like the gyros I had in Greektown in Detroit when I lived in Michigan. Good stuff :) Alton Brown made one in one episode, on the outdoor grill. DH wants to give it a try, but with the kitchen renovation last summer, there was no time. Maybe in '08.

A kebab here is anything cooked on a stick.

Jet's recipe sounds good, too. I'm definitely trying that one soon.

A kebab is also anything cooked on a stick here too, as well as like Jet's presentation!! Ozzies can be a bit "casual" shall we say in our definitions!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom