Dinner for Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Garnishes and condiments ready, check:

IMG_2973.JPG

Burgers and buns ready, check:

IMG_2976.JPG

Burger assembled, check:

IMG_2981.JPG

I decided to throw together a beef stroganoff, but dished it out before I stirred in the sour cream, so I had stew instead.

Steve found an English specialty shop today and came home with some English Banger Sausages among other things. I prepared what I read to be an authentic English meal and it was quite good.

Bangers and Mash with onion Madeira gravy and steamed baby peas.

I had "mushy peas" with a Bangers and Mash dinner in London, and it will never be on my plate again. :sick: ewwww

taxlady said:
Garnishes and condiments ready, check:

Burgers and buns ready, check:

Burger assembled, check:

Looks fab, TL! Whole wheat buns?

I decided to throw together a beef stroganoff, but dished it out before I stirred in the sour cream, so I had stew instead.

As Julia Child said, never admit to a mistake. You just made a last minute recipe modification.

Leftover pork roast (apple, raisin, onion, hard cider--gravy from the drippings and juice--reminded me of gjetost), Janssen's Temptation, rodkaal (missed the accent on the "o"), 1-2-3 marinated cucumbers (Swedish), and steamed broccoli.

The way my grandma made rodkaal:
Shred the cabbage, marinate it in 2:1 water vinegar with onion and caraway seeds, drain (save that). Melt a clump of butter in a skillet, add the same amount of sugar as the clump of butter. Add the marinated cabbage. Add the marinade. Add 1-2 shredded apples, 1 onion. more caraway seeds to taste. Simmer until the cabbage and onion are soft. Stir in a couple of BIG T of lignonberry jelly (or red current jelly if you don't have lignonberry jelly), salt, and pepper to taste. If you want, a splash of red wine. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes. Serve hot, warm, or cold (hot as a side, warm with lunch, cold on top of a sandwich).

Attachments

• Jan_03.jpg
    Jan_03.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Leftover pork roast (apple, raisin, onion, hard cider--gravy from the drippings and juice--reminded me of gjetost), Janssen's Temptation, rodkaal (missed the accent on the "o"), 1-2-3 marinated cucumbers (Swedish), and steamed broccoli.

The way my grandma made rodkaal:
Shred the cabbage, marinate it in 2:1 water vinegar with onion and caraway seeds, drain (save that). Melt a clump of butter in a skillet, add the same amount of sugar as the clump of butter. Add the marinated cabbage. Add the marinade. Add 1-2 shredded apples, 1 onion. more caraway seeds to taste. Simmer until the cabbage and onion are soft. Stir in a couple of BIG T of lignonberry jelly (or red current jelly if you don't have lignonberry jelly), salt, and pepper to taste. If you want, a splash of red wine. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes. Serve hot, warm, or cold (hot as a side, warm with lunch, cold on top of a sandwich).

looking good, cws, and vibrant colors, too! your marinated red cabbage has me over the MOON....:)

looking good, cws, and vibrant colors, too! your marinated red cabbage has me over the MOON....:)

Marinated red cabbage is so handy. Make up a batch from an entire red cabbage and it will be good in the fridge for weeks. Make it the way CWS makes it or use my simpler, Danish recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/danish-red-cabbage-r-dk-l-roedkaal-69012.html#post948219

I like to make sure I always have some in the fridge. Don't feel like making a vegi dish? Nuke some red cabbage :yum:

Marinated red cabbage is so handy. Make up a batch from an entire red cabbage and it will be good in the fridge for weeks. Make it the way CWS makes it or use my simpler, Danish recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/danish-red-cabbage-r-dk-l-roedkaal-69012.html#post948219

I like to make sure I always have some in the fridge. Don't feel like making a vegi dish? Nuke some red cabbage :yum:
TaxLady's instructions are so much more inclusive--no, you don't use the core. I didn't mention that. I love marinated cabbage. I haven't tried freezing it--does that work TL?

My grandma also made a "surkaal" dish with green cabbage. For that, she would shred it, melt butter (or bacon fat) in a skillet, add a layer of shredded cabbage, some flour, caraway seeds, salt and pepper. She'd repeat these layers and add more butter or pork roast drippings. She'd cook that until the cabbage was tender, and then add equal amounts of vinegar and sugar, blend it, being careful not to make everything mushy, simmer about 5 minutes--adjust salt and pepper, more liquid if needed. I usually make this for a side with turkey or chicken. I want marinated red cabbage with pork always!

Last edited:
TaxLady's instructions are so much more inclusive--no, you don't use the core. I didn't mention that. I love marinated cabbage. I haven't tried freezing it--does that work TL?

I don't think it should be frozen. I have never heard of it and Danes would be selling it in the freezer section if it could be frozen. I think it would spoil the texture. But, it's good for a long time in the fridge or you could can it. Most Danes can't be bothered making it nowadays since you can buy a good tasting jar of it in any Danish supermarket. (But, I didn't think it was quite as good as mine :LOL:)

your recipe for red cabbage looks easy enough for me to give it a try. i like my red cabbage served cold equally as well as the hot version. are you danish or dutch, or german, taxlady?

i also enjoyed reading the red cabbage thread. it was laugh-out-loud FUNNY too!! thanks....:) now i'll be wanting some spaezle soon....

your recipe for red cabbage looks easy enough for me to give it a try. i like my red cabbage served cold equally as well as the hot version. are you danish or dutch, or german, taxlady?

i also enjoyed reading the red cabbage thread. it was laugh-out-loud FUNNY too!! thanks....:) now i'll be wanting some spaezle soon....

My mum was Danish and my dad was Swedish. I spent a half a year in Denmark when I was a year old and learned to talk there. I spent a couple of summer half years in Denmark as a kid. I lived there for five years before moving to Canada.

Back
Top Bottom