"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
Master Chef

Dinner for Wed. April 20, 16

Thought I'd start this early today.
The main event at our house will be home made Ceviche for the first time.
We love it if it's made well and I've been going over recipes today and chose this recipe. Ceviche de pescado or fish ceviche recipe
I'll also be adding a fine diced jalapeno to the mix, and will be using Cod fish. Anyone with experience making Ceviche? I'll be frying ups some corn tortilla wedges to serve and on the side we'll have chilled sliced rare rib eye from the grill last night.

What's the plan at your house today?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We love it if it's made well and I've been going over recipes today and chose this recipe. Ceviche de pescado or fish ceviche recipe
I'll also be adding a fine diced jalapeno to the mix, and will be using Cod fish. Anyone with experience making Ceviche? I'll be frying ups some corn tortilla wedges to serve and on the side we'll have chilled sliced rare rib eye from the grill last night.

I've made ceviche several times, from the recipe by Cooks Illustrated. Love it! About the only difference I see is that the CI recipe suggests using half lemon juice and half lime juice, to sort of balance the sourness. I've had it in restaurants, though, which probably used all lime juice. I'm sure it will be good

Old 04-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Thai yellow curry (homemade paste) with chicken, red bell pepper, potatoes, raw cashews and avocado. The avocado is added to the curry right before serving. The curry will be served with jasmine rice and an appy of fried spring rolls.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
Master Chef

Thanks for the advice GG. SC has limes on the morning grocery list, but I have lots of Meyer lemons on our tree, so I was thinking the same.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Steamed mussels with fennel and tarragon (from this month's Bon Appetit). I made a few loaves of ciabatta bread a little while back and took one out of the freezer. Green salad on the side.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Dinner for Wed. April 20, 16

Love ceviche!

Thinking lobster bisque, sans lobster, with the BTB lobster stock and some minced scallops. There's a nice recipe on the back of the jar. I have a veritable plethora of chives, and some will make their way into the bisque.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
Master Chef

I have some leftover ham so I'm making potatoes and ham casserole. Not sure if I will do salads or broccoli with it just yet.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

We just had a big lunch at a nice restaurant as the result of a gift certificate from our SIL. Dinner will be light tonight. Maybe some olive salad and pita or a hot dog or something.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Oh boy, this won't be the last time we make Ceviche! We modestly agree this was some of the best we've ever eaten anywhere. The recipe is great, and easy to follow. As always my Souschef was a huge help with the prep. We did replace some of the lime juice with our Meyer lemon juice and added a finely diced and seeded Jalapeno. He enjoyed the home fried corn chips with his, and I was happy with my store bought Chicharrones for scooping. Ole'!
P.S. Sorry about the blurry food spattered spots on my camera lens. Cleaned now.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:12 AM   #10
Master Chef

Headed out the door for a Lowe's/Target/Aldi run and ended up taking a ride, too. I'm not one for just sitting in a car and going for a ride, but we DID leave with a plan. However, since Himself had me captive in a moving car, I just went along for the ride. Literally.

Got home too late to make my planned dinner, so I quickly nuked Russet potatoes. I steamed broccoli, chopped up some ham, and shredded the last bits of a couple of cheeses, piled it all on top the potatoes, and we enjoyed loaded baked potatoes in less than half an hour. Some days quick just beats fancy.

Tags
dinner