Dinner Fri. 2/12/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Defrosted a package of spelunked pulled ham. Made some ham salad spread from a bit of it, with extra garlic powder, oops! (Container of garlic was too full).

Last edited:
DH made dinner tonight. He made an appetizer of English cucumber with créme frâiche and diced red onion; it was pretty good, although I'm not a fan of raw onion.

Then he broiled kielbasa and simmered it with a mixture of sauerkraut, mustard and beer and served that with a baked potato. Good stuff :yum:

I hit the wrong button again! Argh! :LOL:

Attachments

• 1455326535897.jpg
    1455326535897.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 190
Made a Cook's illustrated skillet lasagne recipe, adding some Italian sausage, it was excellent, like a regular lasagne that didn't hang together when cut. Everything happened in one skillet, this will definitely be in regular rotation!

Made mini bundt chocolate mud cakes for dessert topped with ganache. Another great recipe that I'll make again.

We're full and happy!

Pirate backed some chicken boneless thighs. At the end, he brushed on a nice thick layer of Ah So Sauce and placed them under the broiler. He had a baked tater with corn. I just had one of the thighs. So good. They thighs were really juicy. Will have to do them again. I haven't had chicken thighs with Ah So Sauce in years. :angel:

DH made dinner tonight. He made an appetizer of English cucumber with créme frâiche and diced red onion; it was pretty good, although I'm not a fan of raw onion.

Then he broiled kielbasa and simmered it with a mixture of sauerkraut, mustard and beer and served that with a baked potato. Good stuff :yum:

Kudo's to hubby GG!!:clap: Looks wonderful!

I'm going to fry up some thawed marinated carne asada meat from my local Mexican market for a carne asada burrito dinner. I'll mash an avocado and picante sauce to add to the burritos. Re-fried beans topped with cheese gratings, Mexican rice and authentic fried corn chips round out this meal. Total cost: $4.00. Drive in price for same...$8.50.

Now I just have to get up and make it. :LOL:

P1010016.jpg

Last edited:
Nice hubby, GG! Hope you're feeling better.

Caslon, that looks like a very elegant spread! :yum:

Last edited:
I had some minor surgery this morning, so no food after midnight last night (so I ate till 11:55pm, so what?) and no breakfast, either. :mad: After the surgery, my friend stopped at my Safeway so I could pick up some prescriptions at the pharmacy and on the run to the back of the store, I grabbed a bag of potato chips and two bottles of Gatorade. I had started refried beans in a crock pot before I left this morning, so I had a couple tostadas when I got home, but dinner is just going to be chips and Gatorade.

Why I didn't pick up some apples instead of chips, I don't know. My only excuse was that I was still fuzzy from the anesthesia. But I'm going out on Sunday and I'll get the apples then.

I rarely cook on Fridays.... I mean almost never. But today I cooked baked pork chops, seasoned mix veggies, Mac n cheese, and yeast rolls...

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Take-out pizza, picked up on my way home from running errands. There are times when I know to say "uncle" when the day starts going sideways. Today could have ended up being one of those that when you get into a fight with the knife, the knife wins. I didn't give it the chance. ;)

We had wonderful meatloaf with the gravy, mashed potatoes and steamed kale. It was very nice! There was again that nice gelatino ice cream for dessert and fresh pneapple pieces.

Love,
Cat

Nikki, how did you bake the pork chops? I usually grill them - broil in American speak, I think? - but recently they've turned out rather chewy and I wondered if baking/roasting them would be better.

CatPat, When I was much younger and still living with my parents, I once made a meatloaf for the family with some 'mince'/'ground beef' I found in the fridge. After we had all eaten and enjoyed it, someone asked where the dog's food was and we realized what we had just eaten. It was not exactly ground beef, but ground lots of other meat lol.

Yesterday dh and I had dinner at a restaurant at lunch time - tomato soup and scampi with chips and garden peas - nice, but as usual the peas went cold. We ate dessert at home - strawberry ice cream with strawberries for him and vanilla ice cream with grapes for me. We just had a snack at dinner time, but I made spaghetti Bolognese for my daughter and sausages, chips and baked beans for one of my sons. My other son ate at a friends' house. I cheated a bit with the spag bol by using the remains of a jar of gf Bolognese sauce and some left over cooked ground beef, but it's one up from a ready cooked meal lol. Also, she enjoyed it. I cooked the sausages for my son in the oven as I find frying sausages very frustrating.

Gillian

Nikki, how did you bake the pork chops? I usually grill them - broil in American speak, I think? - but recently they've turned out rather chewy and I wondered if baking/roasting them would be better.

CatPat, When I was much younger and still living with my parents, I once made a meatloaf for the family with some 'mince'/'ground beef' I found in the fridge. After we had all eaten and enjoyed it, someone asked where the dog's food was and we realized what we had just eaten. It was not exactly ground beef, but ground lots of other meat lol.

Yesterday dh and I had dinner at a restaurant at lunch time - tomato soup and scampi with chips and garden peas - nice, but as usual the peas went cold. We ate dessert at home - strawberry ice cream with strawberries for him and vanilla ice cream with grapes for me. We just had a snack at dinner time, but I made spaghetti Bolognese for my daughter and sausages, chips and baked beans for one of my sons. My other son ate at a friends' house. I cheated a bit with the spag bol by using the remains of a jar of gf Bolognese sauce and some left over cooked ground beef, but it's one up from a ready cooked meal lol. Also, she enjoyed it. I cooked the sausages for my son in the oven as I find frying sausages very frustrating.

Gillian

I got instruction from Pinterest lol. The last time I baked some they were tough. But I preheated my oven to 350, even the instruction said 325. I just seasoned my chops with Worcestershire sauce, old bay garlic and herb, salt and pepper. Baked for 30 minutes, turning one time. They were really good and tender.

I got instruction from Pinterest lol. The last time I baked some they were tough. But I preheated my oven to 350, even the instruction said 325. I just seasoned my chops with Worcestershire sauce, old bay garlic and herb, salt and pepper. Baked for 30 minutes, turning one time. They were really good and tender.

Sounds like the seasoning and the oven cooking did the trick!

Thanks for passing this on!

Gillian

Back
Top Bottom