Dinner Friday 15th February

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tonight I went on strike, so I sent my husband to the kitchen to make tuna salad on pumpernickel.

It was breakfast for supper night at my house. I made some very nice scrambled eggs for DW, along with 6 slices of bacon, cooked just past the chewy side, so as to be lightly crispy. This was served up with freshly made English muffins, with honey, and toast. Finish it up with a cold glass of milk.

With all the things I know how to make, I thought to myself that I've never made Eggs Benedict. So I took one of my freshly made, hot off the pan, English muffins, fork split it, spread with room temperature butter, and topped each half with a coddled egg, and home made Hollendaise Sauce. It was my first attempt at the sauce. It was so easy. Don't know why I haven't made it before. The sauce was smooth and silky, and just thick enough. But I think I made a mistake using salted butter, as I had to add a fair amount of lemon juice to balance the flavors In any case, it was very tasty, especially when the yolk was broken and allowed to run over everything. I made my bacon a bit on the chewy side, just right for me. Here's a picture.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• Eggs Benedict 1.jpg
    Eggs Benedict 1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 213
That looks great Chief! Everyone's meals sound wonderful. We went out tonight to a local place at the beach that just reopened. They specialize in seafood and "ground steak" burgers. We had burgers, the meat was good but they get a "fail" for using a nasty cheap bun, the burger was a little rare which I don't mind but the bun could not support the juices from a somewhat rare burger and it just turned to mush and fell apart. The edges of the bun that weren't soggy were dried to point of turning to dust when touched. This was all preceded by poor service, which did improve after the waitress who wasn't sure if we were seated in her section took our order anyway. Had to ask for water...... We ran into some friends who were having a similar experience, (they did not receive all of their order)
We will give this place a while to work out the kinks and then try again, but probably not the burgers ( we have a really good local bar/grill style chain that makes a great burger, we will stick with them ;)

Last edited:
We celebrated our Valentine's dinner last night. Earlier in the week, this is what I said on another thread that I was planning to do.- -Plan A grill outdoors, it was waaay to cold Blan B use the broiler.

"I am planning an indoor picnic dinner. Homemade Tabbouleh, cold green beans marinated in a little oil/ lemon/ /Dijon/ garlic dressing. For starters some hummus some pita triangles and carrot stix. . No potato. A personal sacrifice. Dessert is going to be a pear ginger crumb cake"

I made the cake and tabbouleh in the morning, and held back adding fresh mint til serving time. Plenty, almost too much lemon juice. I made regular green beans, also w/ lemon. (Skipped the hummus/ starter)And baked potatoes ( yes, I added them back in there) butter sour cream, snipped green onions. Easier to accomplish. Broiled 2 NY strip steaks to perfect med rare.

The cake w a little whip cream turned out tasty. Not exactly an indoor picnic, but we had a nice dinner. I lit candles on the table and more candles on the buffet.

pag, your experimental soup sounds promising.

gg, lots of interesting spices in your dinner. how'd it turn out?

lp, wow. can we come over?

jpb, they don't sell cook's brand here in my corner of joisey anymore. i miss it. that was our go to brand, besides dietz and watson.

i'm finally getting some chinese takeout tonight now that dw and the boy have gone to sleep.

seaweed eggdrop soup, veggie spring rolls, extra spicy beef chow fun, and shrimp chow mein. leftovers to bring to work monday.
Cook's brand corned beef was also pretty tasty. I think they got screwed up because they were taken over by Conagra and then broken up and sold off. Conagra pulled the same stunt with Bumble Bee brands but Bumble Bee seems to have fared a little better.

The roasted chicken and potatoes were very tasty. I was out of green beans and ran out of energy to make a salad, so we'll have something with lots of veggies today. Also made gravy with the pan drippings.

ForumRunner_20130216_102808.jpg

I'm experimenting tonight. Going to make a soup with vegetable stock, red curry paste, beef, sweet peppers, bok choy and mushrooms. Might add some dried hot peppers, not sure yet. Might also add some water chestnuts for some crunch. Not sure if I'll add additional spices or let the curry paste stand on it's own. We'll see.

Ended up with subs from Jimmy John's last night instead. Made this for lunch today instead. Made this for lunch today instead. It was great!

In addition to the ingredients listed above, I added some sriracha and lime juice. For spices I added, allspice, cinnamon, dried ginger, cardamom, mace, and tumeric, just a pinch of each. The dried peppers I used were labeled japones. Not much flavor but a good heat level so they are great for perking up things like this. We found this amazing red bell pepper with the deepest red color I've ever seen that was sweet as candy. It's what I added as the sweet pepper. The red curry paste was definitely the star of the show but it's performance was given depth and increased significance through the efforts of the supporting cast. Overall it's a keeper. Hubby already made me write the ingredients down so I wouldn't forget. Once I get it in recipe format I'll have to post it in our soups section.

That does look amazing :yum:

It was breakfast for supper night at my house. I made some very nice scrambled eggs for DW, along with 6 slices of bacon, cooked just past the chewy side, so as to be lightly crispy. This was served up with freshly made English muffins, with honey, and toast. Finish it up with a cold glass of milk.

With all the things I know how to make, I thought to myself that I've never made Eggs Benedict. So I took one of my freshly made, hot off the pan, English muffins, fork split it, spread with room temperature butter, and topped each half with a coddled egg, and home made Hollendaise Sauce. It was my first attempt at the sauce. It was so easy. Don't know why I haven't made it before. The sauce was smooth and silky, and just thick enough. But I think I made a mistake using salted butter, as I had to add a fair amount of lemon juice to balance the flavors In any case, it was very tasty, especially when the yolk was broken and allowed to run over everything. I made my bacon a bit on the chewy side, just right for me. Here's a picture.

Dad, sometimes you're just weird. Plus, according to a great many people I've talked to I can be neither a yooper or a troll since I wasn't born in MI. :P

You may not have been born a Yooper, but you have Yooper blood in you. And you lived most of your life in the U.P. That makes you a natruallized Yooper.

Kylie, thanks.

Tonight we had Sloppy Juans (Sloppy Joes with Tex-Mex seasoning) and chipotle black beans.

EDIT: Oops.... meant to put this under the 16th. Oh well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom