Dinner Friday 15th March

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love watercress! I am hoping there is still some in the stream when I get to MN at the end of April. It is my uncle's birthday and the last time I was there for that, we went for a walk an harvested a bunch of watercress....do you harvest your own? I used some of that watercress (it is a bitch to clean, not as easy as that from the store) to make pesto. This spring I'm staying in MN long enough to be there for the start of asparagus season...and the opening of walleye fishing. I have a fishing date with my cousins at the cabin on Lake of the Woods...I just have to get to STL and then MN. I don't think I can stay long enough for morels...early-mid June. Sigh.

We don't harvest it yet, but we live not far from a watercress farm. We are thinking about it for our own use here on our small holding though. We eat lots of watercress.

We don't harvest it yet, but we live not far from a watercress farm. We are thinking about it for our own use here on our small holding though. We eat lots of watercress.
A watercress farm? Wow. It grows wild where I grew up, so we used to harvest it in the streams in the spring right after the ice melted...the same time as cowslips bloomed. I have fond memories of harvesting watercress with my mom, dad, brothers, and uncle (and eating it)! I haven't found it here....except in the store.

A watercress farm? Wow. It grows wild where I grew up, so we used to harvest it in the streams in the spring right after the ice melted...the same time as cowslips bloomed. I have fond memories of harvesting watercress with my mom, dad, brothers, and uncle (and eating it)! I haven't found it here....except in the store.

I wouldn't trust many wild sources here. Our part of England had heavy flooding last year, and the purity of the watercourses has suffered. We rain water harvest from house, farm and surface water, and this is cleaned then run into a resevoir. We have considered using some space round the reservoir for growing watercress. We forage quite a bit for food, but not from our fresh water here.. Population density is impactful, sadly, even in a part of our small country considered rural.

Cauliflower crust? :ohmy:

Yes, it was made out of cooked cauliflower. It was just a little soggy for me. Maybe I will try it again sometime with fresh instead of frozen, but I just wanted it more crispy.

My spaghetz. I made it puttanesca style, with anchovies, garlic, red pepper flakes, kalamatta olives & capers and the addition of hamburger. I wanted to use a can of whole tomatoes and crush them for a chunkier sauce, but all I had in the pantry were cans of crushed :rolleyes:

That looks amazing Pac, way to go!

Back
Top Bottom