Dinner Friday 1st March

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Friday: pizza night, so I got a pizza for the guys and I had a big salad with chicken. It was better than last night when I fixed tortellini for the guys, and I had broccoli, cauliflower, and cheese cubes with sauce. This low carb thing is hard to get used to.:glare:

This is a favorite of mine. I use this recipe. Would you share yours?

I base my recipe on "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen" by Mary Urrutia Randelman. However, I use a lot of garlic. At least two large heads (30 - 40 cloves) and I use a Boston Butt.

For the paste, I used to chop all the garlic add salt and use the flat of my chef's knife to turn it into paste. Now I use a microplane to finely grate the garlic and just mix in the salt and cumin. A Tbsp each. I let it rest for 15 minutes or so. I use a pairing knife to poke lots of slits in the roast, going in to the hilt if possible. Then I start pushing the paste into the slits, until whats left is on my hand which I then rub over the roast.

For the marinade, I use a mini mandolin to thinly slice whole, peeled onions. Probably two mediums. I spread the onion out on the inside of a 2 gallon plastic bag, place the roast on top of them, then tilt the bag up and squeeze 5-6 sour oranges through a strainer into the bag. Squeeze the air out of the bag, seal and place in the fridge on its side for 24 hours, turning over several times. Preheat oven to 350 F. I will often do this on the Egg or weber, in which case I will use a disposable aluminum roasting pan. Either way, I make a "rack" out of rolled up foil for the roast to sit on.

Several hours before cooking, remove the roast from the fridge to allow it to come to room temp. Remove roast from bag, scraping off any onions that are stuck on, reserving both onions and marinade. Pat roast dry and place fat side up on the rack. Roast until the internal temp is 145 F. About 1/2 way through cooking, dump the reserved marinade and onions over roast and baste with pan juices until done. Remove roast from pan, tent and let stand for 20 minutes.

If I do the roast on the Egg or weber, I will sometimes let it go until the bone pulls out clean, just like I would for pulled pork, but without smoke.

My mojo is simple, lots of chopped garlic (about 1 large head), one medium onion, thinly sliced (mini mandolin again), 1 cup Spanish olive oil, 1 cup sour orange juice, salt and pepper.

Place garlic and onion in a bowl with the orange juice. Let stand for 30 minutes minimum. Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan to just shimmering. Strain garlic and onion, reserving juice. Add garlic and onion to oil. cook in shimmering oil until soft and remove from heat. The next step can be dangerous and you have to be very careful. Add juice to pan. Once things have settled down, salt and pepper to taste and let cool to room temp.

Thanks Craig. My mouth is watering. I haven't made this outdoors yet. Maybe this summer...

Back
Top Bottom