Dinner Friday 2nd of November

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It came out okay. About halfway through cooking the meat looked a little rubbery, so I added more wine, carrots, onions & potatoes (skipped the potato gratin & sprouts). The tri-tip was $25 marked down to about $13 - Manager's Special. Maybe it was the meat, or it's just not made for the slow cooker.
Try applying some of the wine internally. I've found that vastly improves most foods.

Currently sipping Trader Joe's "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw Vineyards) Sauvignon Blanc. I've totally switched sides from the Chardonnay to Sauvignon Blanc, but I'd rather have the Char than a poke in the eye...)

So okay I got tired of multi-posting. Too much labor...

Tonight's dinner for me:

Scored some marinated pork chops at the new multi-ethnic supermarket in town, Super King, just totally killing all the prices in mainstream markets. A friend works there and he tells me this is the 5th in a fleet of Los Angeles markets owned by an Armenian guy. Whatever, they're just killing our local supermarkets in both price and quality.

So the marinated pork chops are a kind of Latino spice blend. Had them last week and they were good. I've already had another in my series of jalapeno poppers appetizer. (I'll report soon when I've perfected the recipe. I have a few unique twists.)

With my pork chops I'm having a potato patty from WFM ($1.99 but I was busy-busy shopping and tonight's dinner concept involves heating not cooking) and some wavy cut zucchini. (Y'all should buy a wavy cutter if you don't already have one.)

So I'll report back unless I make a fatal cooking mistake. If I don't post again then that must be it. ;)

Last edited:
It didn't kill me yet. Never mind my pre-prandial cocktail, a Margarita (El Ultimo Agave Blanco tequila, Grand Marnier orange liqueur, freshly squeezed lime juice, 2:1:2, on the rocks). Tequila lovers sometimes call it "ta kill ya." I must be on to something with my limit of one cocktail per day. I always wait until the sun is over the yard arm, although admittedly it's always over the yard arm somewhere...) ;)

Okay, you wanna know the full uncensored Greg? Here it is:

P1010002.JPG

Yep, that's DC on the laptop, and that's my multi-purpose workspace. No neutral background this time, and that's my new plates from Cost Plus. Not sure if I'll keep the full service for 4, dinner plate, salad dish, smaller plate--I don't know what you call them. I'll keep service for at least 1--for photo--or maybe 2 so I can use them some day for company. (That's some MP3 players that I was fixing in the background. And some Rapidographs in the jar, for my pen and ink art hobby.)

Fresh pineapple bits on the side of the pork chops, sour cream and chopped green onions on the potato patty. Sauvignon Blanc courtesy Charles Shaw Winery (via Trader Joe's) sold at exclusive stores everywhere (if the store doesn't say Trader Joe's then they don't sell it). I'm still workin' on the dregs of the wine glass in the photo. Okay it's a cocktail glass. I'm too lazy to do anything other than rinsing out the cocktail glass to serve wine. I'd probably work harder if I had company...

Music courtesy of Fleetwood Mac, currently Golddust woman, sorry, you can't hear that. (Any FM fans here?) :) (Courtesy of You-Tube and my new Sony Blu-Ray player with Wi-Fi inside.)

And no, I couldn't eat all that. Looks like a pork chop sandwich somewhere in my future...

Last edited:
S&P, I love the idea of the fried egg on! I serve that on my Pad Krapow Moo (Thai recipe, stir fried pork with holy basil) and people just don't know how good a fried egg over improves some dishes. I understand that the fried egg is common over KPM in Thailand although I've never been there. (Google is my friend.)

Capers, right? (Don't tell us you have a pet bird...)

I too would like to see potato pancake recipes. I bought mine tonight at WFM for $1.99 because I wanted a 15 minute prep dinner.

I'll reveal one thing I loved from my own potato pancake recipe testing. I just love to add a whole bunch of grated onion, maybe more than 50%. Onion turns mostly to water when you grate it so you have to squeeze it through cheesecloth to get onion solids.

(Save the onion juice for your kid's squirt gun and he can be the baddest kid on the block. :cool:)

We went to Nando's tonight. I had my usual double kabob, classic fries and we split a salad. TB had double leg with rice.

Love that place; love not cooking even more! ;)

GotGarlic said:
The ropa vieja turned out really good. I served it with yellow rice and herb focaccia.

That looks soooo good, GG!

Back
Top Bottom