"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Happy Birthday to your DW Tom

Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Head Chef

Friday nights are always special, dh is a away during the week. But I rarely know when he will be home, it could be seven pm or it could be after midnight. I have an elderly parent living with us too, so often end up making something dh can have later.

I'm boiling a ham in cola and serving it with small baked potatoes (have to be small in any case, no 'meal' sized ones available because of the poor weather), corn fritters, and slightly bizarrely, asparagus as that's what we have that's green.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
Honey Badger

Were probably going to be eating out. The Head Hunter's (My sarcastic opinion of Dr's) want to have a good look at my eyesight.

News has it that the 5guys burgers? has opened up. Maybe we might go there and see. I'll let you know what one is best. At least 1 out of 5 has to be good. Don't disappoint me.

Doubt I'll feel like cooking aftwer wards. I hear my B-day present is arriving early today. Hubby might want to bring me straight home. So really who knows.

Happy B-day to your wife BT. Eat up!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

If my energy level stays up, we'll have pizza for dinner. Otherwise, stuff from the freezer.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Most likely chicken chilaquiles.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
31, huh? 29 with 2 years experience.
I do the subtraction method. Once one hits 39, one subtrates a year until at the "real age" of 78, one is back to zero. Works for me!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I do the subtraction method. Once one hits 39, one subtrates a year until at the "real age" of 78, one is back to zero. Works for me!
Once my Mom turned 32 she stayed 32 forever. On her 64th birthday my DH performed the annual "how old are ya Mom?" ritual and got her standard reply - to which he said "which half?" He lived - Mom and Mr. Wonderful had a very special MIL/SonIL relationship.

I'm making salad, French bread pizza to use up the last of the loaf we had with pork last night, and I'm going to attempt to duplicate the Irish Potato Pizza our favorite Irish pub makes. Think non-greasy potato skins baked on a cast iron pan topped with bacon, minced mushrooms, scallions, cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. I have a Tintern cheddar with shallots and chives I think I'll use.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
...News has it that the 5guys burgers? has opened up. Maybe we might go there and see. I'll let you know what one is best. At least 1 out of 5 has to be good. Don't disappoint me. ...
IMO the burgers at 5Guys are acceptable, but the fries are worth driving tens of miles out of the way to get! I'm not a french fry eater but I do enjoy theirs. We also found out that if you compliment them profusely about the fries they put even MORE in the bag. Not a bad deal since they are the only commercial fries we have found that actually taste great after reheating in a very hot oven.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
today is dw's birthday....
...whatever the light of my life, my moon and stars wants, she will get.
You, Sir, are a gem of a husband. Or at least you play a gem of a husband on DC. Hope your honey has a great birthday!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
Master Chef

Happy Birthday to Bucky's moon and stars!

Munky, 5 guys burgers are pretty good and they have all sorts of toppings to choose from so you can get whatever you like on it! And yes the fries are excellent! Word of warning though, DH and I only ever order 1 side of fries and we have leftovers even then. And DH can put away the fries!

I have a pork roast I'll throw in the oven. I hope to do up some kind of potato with it and have salads.

Tags
dinner