Dinner Friday 5th April 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Birthday to the light of your life, BT!

We're going out to eat, place TBD.

Last edited:
Friday nights are always special, dh is a away during the week. But I rarely know when he will be home, it could be seven pm or it could be after midnight. I have an elderly parent living with us too, so often end up making something dh can have later.

I'm boiling a ham in cola and serving it with small baked potatoes (have to be small in any case, no 'meal' sized ones available because of the poor weather), corn fritters, and slightly bizarrely, asparagus as that's what we have that's green.

It all sounds wonderful Lulu, have a wonderful night :)

I played with an idea I have for the Breakfast Challenge. Can't share, but it was darned good! Or. are we not doing the Breakfast Challenge"

Everyone's dinner sounds wonderful. We had pizza that I picked up on the way home at Papa Murphy's. it was pretty good. I actually ate a little piece. I do have a carb or two now and then. :ermm:

I'm making http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/tnt-pork-with-mushroom-herb-sauce-68116.html#post934920 with Hasselback potatoes and a green salad, probably with some of the blue cheese dressing I made last Saturday. Almond cake (didn't leave out the butter this time) for dessert.
It turned out really good (or maybe it's just good after two Margaritas ;)). I made lots of gravy. I'll probably have some on toast tomorrow for breakfast. This time I put very thin slices of garlic between the slices on the Hasselback potatoes. I wanted to be sure they were open. The herb butter had onion powder and marjoram. That turned out really yummy. I baked them at 350F for about an hour and they had yummy, crispy bits.

20130405_195641.jpg

It was a meal worthy of celebrating the start of the weekend. :chef: :pig:

Everyone's dinner sounds wonderful. We had pizza that I picked up on the way home at Papa Murphy's. it was pretty good. I actually ate a little piece. I do have a carb or two now and then. :ermm:
Just don't eat the edge that doesn't have any stuff on it. ;)

today is dw's birthday, so after i've bugged the crap out of her as to where she wants to go for dinner, she says korean bbq. of all of the stinkin' joints in and around nyc, she wants to have obsessive korean women sling plates of banchan on our table, and frown on her for allowing me to use the tongs to flip the meat on the center table charcoal grill (which i glare at them and grunt "unn, unn", a way of telling a lesser person no), but then have to smile and ask for more banchan, especially bean paste, scallions, and lettuce leaves for rolling the grilled meats.

it's a stressful but delicious multi-cultural experience all in one.

whatever the light of my life, my moon and stars wants, she will get.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That cracked me up BT! You should thank your lucky stars she's the kind of girl you deserve. Would you rather wear a tuxedo for her birthday dinner?:rolleyes:

thanks, everyone for dw's birthday wishes. i will tell her what everyone said.

our dinner was fantastic! we got there early, so there were only 3 (out of about 20) tables occupied. the waitresses who normally rush you in and out were great tonight, taking their time to cook the meats for us, and refilling glasses of bean iced tea as quickly as we could drink them. i love their iced tea.also, they had replacement dishes of banchan at our table before we asked. the steamed egg, and the fishcake in spicy oil banchan were delicious.

for our grilled meats, we had bulgogi (beef), dak gui (chicken), and sae woo gui (shrimp).

lol, i taught my boy to remember the name for chicken by how korean chickens don't say bok bok bok, but rather dak dak dak.

after dinner, we opted to stop off at a korean market and picked up some green tea mochi ice cream, and stuck a candle in each to sing happy birthday to my wife. it was a really nice evening.

Glad you all had a nice evening, BT! Happy birthday to DW!

We went to a Mexican-inspired place and shared a huge pulled-pork nacho plate. Good stuff.

If my energy level stays up, we'll have pizza for dinner. Otherwise, stuff from the freezer.

I pooped out so no pizza. We had shrimp cocktail and a TJs flat bread (mushrooms, Gruyere and Parmesan). I topped that off with a dish of vanilla bean ice cream.

I pooped out so no pizza. We had shrimp cocktail and a TJs flat bread (mushrooms, Gruyere and Parmesan). I topped that off with a dish of vanilla bean ice cream.
I'm guessing you had the vanilla bean ice cream as dessert, not as a topper for the flat bread with the mushrooms and cheese. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Tonight is Vegetable Lo Mein with mushrooms, scallions, garlic, ginger, grated carrot, etc.

C'mon over, Kylie - I'll save you some! (Plus a decadent chocolate dessert)!

today is dw's birthday, so after i've bugged the crap out of her as to where she wants to go for dinner, she says korean bbq. of all of the stinkin' joints in and around nyc, she wants to have obsessive korean women sling plates of banchan on our table, and frown on her for allowing me to use the tongs to flip the meat on the center table charcoal grill (which i glare at them and grunt "unn, unn", a way of telling a lesser person no), but then have to smile and ask for more banchan, especially bean paste, scallions, and lettuce leaves for rolling the grilled meats.

it's a stressful but delicious multi-cultural experience all in one.

whatever the light of my life, my moon and stars wants, she will get.

happy b-day to your lovely saint of a wife.:) despite the spin you put on it, bt, we suspect you actually have a romantic and sentimental side that dw gets to see quite often.
my warm, yummy visions of korean cuisine as depicted on kimchi chronicles just got all shot to hell, bt, by your hilarious description of the korean women's undisguised disapproval of you, representing clueless american diners.:)

lol, yeah, but you really have to be there to understand. you can call it spin all you want, but unless you've been there, you're just, well, you know. watching tv.

we are often the only caucasians in the place (the town is so ethnocentrically korean that the council had to pass a law that all businesses had to post their address in english on the front so the police a fire depts. would know where to respond quickly.), so you'd be surprised at how differently we are treated, respectful as we are, as their brethren clientele.

it's not a real secret, but something you get used to but never accept. this IS america, afterall. my country. theirs too, but i don't treat them with lesser respect. it's not always returned. same goes for many neighborhoods by me. i don't expect a lot of americans who live with 2nd, or 3rd, or more generation americans (or canadians) to understand. or try to. thart's where watching tv and thinking you're educated becomes dangerous, but i digress.

as a matter of fact, the table next to us who were assumingly korean (from their appearance and overheard spoken language), even after ordering less and much cheaper food than us, were given a fairly large plate the customary fresh fruit as a complimentary dessert.

we were given the cheaper little bottles of orange drink.

not a big difference, but noticeable if you paid attention.

i didn't say anything so as not to bring attention to what was otherwise an enjoyable meal.

so, thanks, i think, for my wife.

clueless might be a bad descriptor. for me, anyway.

:glare:

Last edited:
vit:
one of my best friends at work is korean, now korean american. naturalized a few years ago. he often has commented to me on how much more i know and love about his native country's history and food than his own american born sons. but that's a seperate discussion. not unlike italians of a century ago.

so i apologize if i came off a bit strong in anything that i posted. i know in my heart, from experience - not a tv program, what's real and where i stand. most koreans, at home or those who've moved here are great people that "americanize" far more readily and gracefuilly than many other cultures that i've experienced directly. i don't know why, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom