Dinner - Friday, 7/29/2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Just needed to pick up the main course for dinner at the supermarket, so I went by bike. I picked up a nice salmon filet, and when I got back on the bike I noticed that a tire was pretty low. Dang! Unlike my skinny tire road bike, that bike doesn't flat very often, as it has wider tires running lower pressures. I didn't want to spend the time fixing it with fish in the bag, so I topped it off with the mini pump and hoped I could make it home (only 3 miles). Fortunately, I did, so the fish is fine. We have some leftover black bean and corn salad from the other night to go along with it. The sky has cleared and turned beautifully blue, so the salmon will hit the grill tonight.

Last night on vacation in Guanacaste Costa Rica. Took a cooking class today on how to make local Empanadas, they were amazing. When I get back home I will try to post something about the recipe. Ate some marvelous food this week. Going to a local Tapas restaurant tonight. Glad to get back to Georgia though.

I read somewhere that it's National Chicken Wing Day. I made a batch of grilled buffalo wings and a salad that I could wash down with a cold beer.

I ordered out for a lasagna dinner - comes with a salad and garlic bread. I've ordered from this particular place before....the lasagna will be more than enough for tonight and tomorrow's dinner as well.

Should arrive in about 10 minutes. :yum:

With all the talk lately about "white Souvlaki", I made it on the grill tonight with chunks of marinated pork tenderloin.

The "rice pilaf" was made with grated cauliflower, butter, garlic, shallots, mushrooms, golden raisins, curry powder, almonds, chives and chick. broth.

img_1474087_0_35165a317529c37a7b8b329f2639771c.jpg

Kayelle, do you grate the cauliflower and then lightly steam it, or do you par-cook the head and then grate it? Either way, it looks great!

I tossed a small pork loin piece into the slow cooker with sauerkraut and a half-bottle of beer before I left to run errands. All I had to do for dinner tonight was make mashed potatoes (with a little fresh dill), a dish of cukes and onion in sour cream sauce, and open the jar of pickled beets. Low-fuss dinner. I could get used to this. :whistling:

Kayelle, do you grate the cauliflower and then lightly steam it, or do you par-cook the head and then grate it? Either way, it looks great!

I tossed a small pork loin piece into the slow cooker with sauerkraut and a half-bottle of beer before I left to run errands. All I had to do for dinner tonight was make mashed potatoes (with a little fresh dill), a dish of cukes and onion in sour cream sauce, and open the jar of pickled beets. Low-fuss dinner. I could get used to this. :whistling:

Thanks CG. Actually, I'm lazy and buy the cauliflower already riced by the bag from TJ's. I pop it in the freezer to be used as needed. I'm sure not a fan of it but with some intense seasonings it can fill my needs for rice.

I threw some hamburger in spaghetti sauce a couple of nights ago and had spaghetti, so tonight I decided to take the sauce out of the freezer and use up the macaroni instead of making spaghetti. I think I like this better than the spaghetti.

I also found Anchovy paste and tomato paste in tubes at....Winco of all places (Trader Joe's didn't have them) and I used the tomato paste for the first time tonight. It's supposed to be concentrated and it sure makes this tomato macaroni taste good.

rr, I like most any pasta shape that grabs sauce better than a thin spaghetti noodle. Choo-choo wheels, rotini, medium shells...ooo, they all hold the sauce so good. :yum:

Cubano night! Craig had marinaded a whole spatchcocked chicken in mojo and grilled it earlier in the week along with something else so we had that plus black beans, rice, maduros (ripe plantains fried in oil) and Cuban bread (split baguette loaf, well buttered inside, wrapped in foil and baked in oven til crispy)

Back
Top Bottom