Dinner Friday 9/19/14?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
It's going to be hotel and fair food this weekend. We are keeping up the family tradition of taking his kids to the fair. Two of DH's four children live in Albuquerque and we are meeting up with them at the New Mexico State Fair. I am assuming there will be great food at the fair;).

What are you having?

Oh my, Beth! Bacon pecan pie caramel apple! It was tough to wrap my mind around that till I saw the description. Wow, I bet that will be good! Enjoy!

Don't know what I'm making for dinner yet. I bought a 7-lb. pork shoulder, pork chops and BLSL chicken breasts a while ago. Maybe we'll grill the pork chops.

Leftovers. Not just any leftovers, but the leftovers from today's photo shoot. I prepared Grilled veggies (zucchini, fennel, tomato, yellow and orange peppers), halloumi cheese, and chorizo sausage. These where cut into bite size pieces and tossed with farro, drizzled with some EVOO and grilled lemon (the lemon was grilled and squeezed overtop). This salad was topped with Romanesco sauce, black olives, chopped chives, basil, and Italian parsley. Once my batteries charge, I'll post a pic. It was such a fun day--I love getting paid to play in the kitchen, not to mention the leftovers! The other recipe I got to test drive was a chicken and pork sausage "meatball" stew served over panfried gnocchi Parisienne. This was the first time I made gnocchi Parisienne. It would have helped if the chef who developed the recipe had tested it--the gnocchi dough needed 1/4 c more flour even after letting it cool. The photographer and I ate that for lunch--no leftovers. The photographer makes the food I make look soooooo good! My photo will not be anything like hers.

Last edited:
I have two spatchocked game hens in Goya's Mojo Criollo marinade. I'll grill them later along with a basket of marinated veggies, and we'll have green Mexican rice made with salsa verde, sliced olives and cheese on top.

Last night's large, stuffed chicken is tonight's leftovers. There are a few other remnants of this week's food in the fridge that are above it in the pecking order though, so I could end up with much of the chicken for yet another night. Himself may just end up with soup anyway. He goes practically nowhere, yet he managed to get a cold. Guess he mail-ordered it. :LOL: Oh, I'd better not laugh - I'm planning on a garage sale next weekend. :ermm:

I made the pasta carbinaroid that I had planned on making yesterday.

uuOptvb8bNmQP531mCF9Me9jF4E7iRTeeLPTtgouVJk=w692-h519-no

20140919_192856.jpg

Leftovers. Not just any leftovers, but the leftovers from today's photo shoot. I prepared Grilled veggies (zucchini, fennel, tomato, yellow and orange peppers), halloumi cheese, and chorizo sausage. These where cut into bite size pieces and tossed with farro, drizzled with some EVOO and grilled lemon (the lemon was grilled and squeezed overtop). This salad was topped with Romanesco sauce, black olives, chopped chives, basil, and Italian parsley. Once my batteries charge, I'll post a pic. It was such a fun day--I love getting paid to play in the kitchen, not to mention the leftovers! The other recipe I got to test drive was a chicken and pork sausage "meatball" stew served over panfried gnocchi Parisienne. This was the first time I made gnocchi Parisienne. It would have helped if the chef who developed the recipe had tested it--the gnocchi dough needed 1/4 c more flour even after letting it cool. The photographer and I ate that for lunch--no leftovers. The photographer makes the food I make look soooooo good! My photo will not be anything like hers.
My photo is nowhere near as nice as the professional photographer's.

Attachments

• halloumi_salad.jpg
    halloumi_salad.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 204
DH wanted to go out for dinner, so we went to a local seafood restaurant. I had fish tacos made with cod, chipotle cream and mango pico de gallo. Very tasty. DH had baked cod with a side of asparagus, which he enjoyed. We will return.

Attachments

• 1411177831381.jpg
    1411177831381.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 185
i'm really tempted to take a ride down to katz's tonight. i've been jonesin' for a good reuben.

Nice, guys! We went out for Mexican and split an order of pork tacos with rice and beans.

My photo is nowhere near as nice as the professional photographer's.
Your photo is fine CW, but more importantly, how did you like the farro? I just bought a bag, my first, to use in a salad recipe I got out of a magazine. Himself has been bravely trying new things and I want to strike while the (cast) iron is hot!

Thanks Steve. It's been a very long time since I've bought game hens for any reason, and they were really outstanding on the grill this way.
It's been a couple years since we've had game hens, too. Somewhere I have a recipe for them grilled with a pineapple jalapeño glaze that we had once and was pretty good. I might have to dig that recipe out again.

Last edited:
Your photo is fine CW, but more importantly, how did you like the farro? I just bought a bag, my first, to use in a salad recipe I got out of a magazine. Himself has been bravely trying new things and I want to strike while the (cast) iron is hot!
I love barley, all kinds of grains (except Kasha). It is chewy, it has a nutty flavour, and I definitely will add it to my breakfast grains rotation. I wasn't sure which kind I had (pearled, semi-pearled, whole), so I soaked it for about 30 minutes in warm water, drained it, and then added the 1 c (dry measure) to 6 c boiling water, set the timer for 10 minutes. At the same time, I took 1 c dry measure, unsoaked, and put that in a pot of 6 c boiling water (using beef or chicken stock would be nice, too). The difference I noticed was that both had a "toothy" texture, but the soaked farro was more open, if that makes sense. I like it! It doesn't get "slimy" like pearled barley, so it would be a nice grain to substitute in for pearl barley, although it is definitely pricier and on a budget, I'd stick to barley. Anything you do with barley, you can use farro.

You haven't seen the PP's photos! I learned something when photographing food--less is better, and pile it high.

Back
Top Bottom