Dinner Friday, May 24, 2019 ~ Let the Holiday Weekend begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
We're starting out the weekend with leftovers. :LOL: I seem to have a number of food containers with just that, plus tubs and bags of items that are taking up more fridge real estate than they are entitled to. We'll clean out the last of the tuna salad and last night's pasta-sausage-chard dish. Salads, too, to get rid of some of those aforementioned tubs and bags.

What's planned for your evening meal tonight?

Grilled American & Swiss cheese on rye & tomato soup.

Grilled b/s chicken thighs in my universal marinade (soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and a bunch of herbs), leftover home made cheese ravioli, cole slaw.

Tuna salad on top of salad-salad, with a slice of homemade multi-grain bread.
IMG_20190524_211314601_HDR.jpg

We ordered from Mr. Falafel. A chicken platter for DH and a falafel platter for me. It was, as usual, excellent. I have to talk to them about their pickled peppers though. Sometimes they are lovely. Sometimes they are bitter. I think the nice tasting ones are lactic acid fermented. They tend to be on the salty side. I think the other ones are commercially made with vinegar and sodium bisulfate (bisulfite?). I know that preservative tastes bitter to me. Today it was so bad that I had to spit out the tiny test bite. I joked, "Give me some dandelion greens to get this bitter taste out of my mouth."

I got a new little 4 cup Cuisinart FP because my huge one is too big and hard to clean.
I'm putting it to use today with Chef John's Shrimp Toast. We'll have big beautiful steamed artichokes along with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UatFTkxRdiM

The Shrimp Toast was delicious, but I made the mistake of using dark soy sauce instead of regular. I won't do that again, as the shrimp paste appears to be burned but it's not. The presentation would have been much better with regular soy sauce. Now I know for the next time.

^
I need to get a little food processor just for this recipe, Kay. I watched the video, and wow does that ever look and sound delicious. :yum:

Last edited:
Nice-looking shrimp toasts, Kayelle. I've seen ready-made ones in TJ's freezer case in the past but never picked them up.

Also, I just got one of those Mini-Preps last month. I picked mine up at BedBath&Beyond. It was one of the last special "spring" colors for Easter, so it's mark down price was $29.99. I didn't care if it was a limeade green or not, it was on sale! :LOL: Anyway, I needed a replacement for my dying 2-cupper.

Last Night's Chicken Nuggets, Hawaiian BBQ Sauce (Sweet, Smoky), Field Peas with Cut Green Beans and Minced Onion and a touch of Sriracha,

Parsley-ed Yukons... Salad with County French

Chicken Nuggets.jpg

Kay and Cheryl, try finding white soy sauce or shoyu. It's a bit lighter in color, sort of Amber like.

haa haa, we think alike again. This recipe is the reason I bought it Cheryl.
I really like it and it's just the right size for my needs now. What a pleasure to clean unlike the monster FP that's never used anymore. Check it out..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000645YM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's the 3 cup model. I would suggest the larger 4 cup model. I have one and wish it was just a little larger, as I sometimes have to process in 2 batches.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-4CHB-Mini-Prep-4-Cup-Processor/dp/B000YA8R6U

Looks good. Am I reading that right - 32 pounds of crawfish?

Yep. We both hit them pretty hard for dinner. I told Craig I wanted him to go really light on the fixins' this time so I ended up eating twice as many as I usually do. Craig had a huge pile of shells already before I even started eating so... We took the heads off what was left and refrigerated the tails after dinner, pretty much filled a 2 gallon bag. We'll weigh some tails with shell on and then pick enough to get a pound of just meat, then will weigh out rest, bag and freeze in bags that will give us a pound of tail meat when picked. We found out you can freeze them with tail shell on without any problems when I brought home 70 plus pounds from 1 of my trips to see my dad. Our fingers got so sore and cut up from peeling that it got to the point where we couldn't stand to do any more. They were around $2.60 a pound at the restaurant supply place and came in a sack.

Nice-looking shrimp toasts, Kayelle. I've seen ready-made ones in TJ's freezer case in the past but never picked them up.
I'm bummed that TJ's no longer carries them CG. They were excellent and I miss them so much I had to take desperate measures and make my own.

Kay and Cheryl, try finding white soy sauce or shoyu. It's a bit lighter in color, sort of Amber like.

Good to know Med. The dark soy sauce addition was a real mistake, although the flavor was good.

Back
Top Bottom