Dinner ~ It's Friday! Friday! 12-9-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if it's still there or not, but I actually played at the NCO club on that base around 1980 sometime...
Wow, we have a celebrity in our midst! Actually, that's pretty neat, Steve.

While down the basement getting a couple of cooking pans, I spied my basket of winter squash. Decided the color from a butternut would add interest to our plates:

Attachments

• 2016-12-09 21.16.00.jpg
    2016-12-09 21.16.00.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 134
I don't know if it's still there or not, but I actually played at the NCO club on that base around 1980 sometime. I was filling in for a few weeks with a band called Wild Cherry at the time (they had one big hit in the 70s called "Play That Funky Music"). Their keyboard player's wife went into labor and he decided to fly home to Las Vegas. A friend of a friend directed them to me and I found myself driving up to Grand Forks. I hadn't thought about that in years.

As far as dinner, I went out for sushi tonight. :yum:

I love "play that funky music"! Was my ring tone for awhile.

I'm glad you had some alone time with just you and your Dad today CWS. Many of us are thinking how lucky you were.
I asked him why he enlisted in the Navy when we were on our way home...I learned a lot about why he did (he didn't want to get drafted by the Army and go to Korea). He missed the turn we were to take because he was telling me things I never knew about that part of his life. Good time spent with my Dad. Love him so.

I asked him why he enlisted in the Navy when we were on our way home...I learned a lot about why he did (he didn't want to get drafted by the Army and go to Korea). He missed the turn we were to take because he was telling me things I never knew about that part of his life. Good time spent with my Dad. Love him so.

Any time you think your mother is lucid, try to get her to talk about her childhood while she can. All children should try to collect the memories of their parents.

Oh I never dreamed he was doing the driving!! ...
Good time spent with my Dad. Love him so.
You are one lucky lady.

All children should try to collect the memories of their parents.

Damn straight.

I recently have experienced my first thoughts where I needed to ask my Dad something about his life, to remember it properly. But now I can't. :(

Damn straight.

I recently have experienced my first thoughts where I needed to ask my Dad something about his life, to remember it properly. But now I can't. :(
So sorry for your loss, BuckyT. I know how special your Dad was to you. I try and ferret out as much information as I can, when I can. I found out a couple of years ago that my Mom hated playing the piano. She was quite good. And, when she got the chance, she sold the piano to the neighbour across the road. She got $75 for it, and her brothers got it out of the house and rolled it across the street.

Thanks, CW. The stories of the family that come out after someone passes are always interesting, and often funny or amusing. I never heard of someone who could play piano that didn't like it. Usually they can't walk by a piano without tinkling the keys a bit.

That's another new thing to me, hearing odd familial stories like that. My sister recently mentioned how poor we were at times when we were kids, but I never knew it.
I mean, I knew we weren't rich since in a few years, my winter "snow boots" were just my work boots with a plastic bag inserted in them to make them waterproof.

But she talked about those nights that we had Norwegian pancakes (crepes) for dinner. I thought it was so cool to have breakfast for dinner, but it was really because all my mom had to feed us that night was a little flour, water, an egg or two, and salt. Oh,and jam for a filling, all to feed 6 kids!

Or why my Dad rode his bikes with us to the store on days off. I thought it was for exercise, but now I know it was because he couldn't afford gas for the car.

I was blissfully ignorant because I had such great parents.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom