Dinner July 23/13 - Tuesday Tune up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I picked up some corn on the cob from the roadside stand with the full intent to grill some along with some meat for dinner.
I took out two packages of pork loins and was going to grill them both up using some SBR, but only package is going on the grill. The other package contained cut up pieces of pork loin :wacko: So that package is going in the CI skillet along with some potatoes and onions already frying in bacon grease and I'll make some kind of gravy with it.
So basically I am cooking two dinners and will choose between one. I'm still leaning towards the grilled dinner.

I'm about to put these beautiful loin lamb chops on the grill along with asparagus. Potato salad will round out the menu.
img_1284471_0_b7831767149974614846549eabdd4736.jpg

I picked up some corn on the cob from the roadside stand with the full intent to grill some along with some meat for dinner.
I took out two packages of pork loins and was going to grill them both up using some SBR, but only package is going on the grill. The other package contained cut up pieces of pork loin :wacko: So that package is going in the CI skillet along with some potatoes and onions already frying in bacon grease and I'll make some kind of gravy with it.
So basically I am cooking two dinners and will choose between one. I'm still leaning towards the grilled dinner.

More super fresh corn. :doh: Mind you, maybe it was on the roadside stand for weeks, getting covered in exhaust fumes.... :rolleyes:

Tenderloins with new potatoes, and broccoli.
Winged it with a sauce tonight. I had 4 button mushrooms left so I shaved them, threw in some garlic, green onion, loads of parsley. After searing the filets and putting them in the toaster oven with the spuds to finish, I threw everything in the pan, deglazed with a bit of Madeira wine and some beef stock, fresh ground black pepper and let this reduce to almost nada. Then, spooned the results on the steak... turned out pretty cool tasting, actually...

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 151
More super fresh corn. :doh: Mind you, maybe it was on the roadside stand for weeks, getting covered in exhaust fumes.... :rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth!
I've had corn brought up from the southern states that was better than the *fresh* stuff for sale locally. What the stands don't sell goes back out the next day. At least grocery stores get it in pretty much daily and move (sell) it.
But this time it was pretty darn good! :yum::LOL:

Ain't that the truth!
I've had corn brought up from the southern states that was better than the *fresh* stuff for sale locally. What the stands don't sell goes back out the next day. At least grocery stores get it in pretty much daily and move (sell) it.
But this time it was pretty darn good! :yum::LOL:

Pacanis. Did you have the fresh corn with proper butter? :yum:

(No margarine nonsense.)

Copious amounts... nothing but butter. Drenched and dripping. lol

Made a large salad and served it with tuna and feta and a creamy, homemade dressing. We had goat ice cream for dessert. It was vanilla. It was pretty good.

What's not to like about lamb?? (Why don't you like it?) I am dead surprised!

My mother was a good cook, but there was something about the smell of lamb chops cooking and the texture and taste that I never did like, so I carried that over into adulthood. I don't mind a lamb burger jazzed up with herbs and cheese... on occasion, but I have no inclination to foray into cooking lamb, no matter how good those pics of rack of lamb looks. I never ate goat either.

Made a large salad and served it with tuna and feta and a creamy, homemade dressing. We had goat ice cream for dessert. It was vanilla. It was pretty good.

That all sounded delicious TL! (Tuna and feta - lovely!) What was the dressing made with?

I'm dieing for the corn to be ready in the field garden...I start the pot before I go out (years ago, I had a landlord from Holland who grew sweet corn in the field next to the house I rented--he told me to put milk or cream in the water and about a tablespoon of sugar--start the pot, run out to the field, and shuck the corn on the way back to the house). I am a corn-on-the-cob snob--if it takes longer to get back to the house than it the time it takes the water to boil, I don't want to eat it...

"Fresh picked" corn? I wonder what that tastes like! My corn comes in a tin or from a freezer bag. I could pay a fortune for a whole corn cobs at the supermarket, but they would hardly be "fresh picked" since we are not exactly awash with cornfields over here.
You don't know what you're missing--perhaps that is a good thing. I am sooooo spoiled when it comes to corn-on-the-cob.

Basically, the older the corn (and when I say that, the longer it has sat from the time picked) the more starch and less "sweetness."

My mother was a good cook, but there was something about the smell of lamb chops cooking and the texture and taste that I never did like, so I carried that over into adulthood. I don't mind a lamb burger jazzed up with herbs and cheese... on occasion, but I have no inclination to foray into cooking lamb, no matter how good those pics of rack of lamb looks. I never ate goat either.

Oh, that's fair enough P. Food/smell memories are the strongest. (good or bad).

My mum burnt lamb cutlets to a frazzle on a fairly regular basis, but it actually smelt pretty good! She was a terrible cook (so I learnt to cook early). But she was a wonderful mum. :wub:

Oh, that's fair enough P. Food/smell memories are the strongest. (good or bad).

That's why I don't eat Raisin Bran cereal to this day. We used to get our milk delivered when I was a kid and often it was sour... and often I would be the one who found this out in the morning :sick: I still associate Raisin Bran with sour milk.

My mum burnt lamb cutlets to a frazzle on a fairly regular basis, but it actually smelt pretty good! She was a terrible cook (so I learnt to cook early). But she was a wonderful mum. :wub:

Some say burnt, others caramelized :chef:

Some say burnt, others caramelized :chef:

No, my mother martyred the poor things! :ROFLMAO:

Also, raisins are horrible. Just saying.

Sour milk is disgusting too. But sour cream is marvellous and yoghurt is actually okay too... where do you stand on these???

That all sounded delicious TL! (Tuna and feta - lovely!) What was the dressing made with?
It's my quick creamy dressing: Equal parts sour cream or yogourt and mayo, some apple cider vinegar, a good "glug" of fish sauce, a bunch of garlic powder and onion powder. Whisk until smooth.

I'm dieing for the corn to be ready in the field garden...I start the pot before I go out (years ago, I had a landlord from Holland who grew sweet corn in the field next to the house I rented--he told me to put milk or cream in the water and about a tablespoon of sugar--start the pot, run out to the field, and shuck the corn on the way back to the house). I am a corn-on-the-cob snob--if it takes longer to get back to the house than it the time it takes the water to boil, I don't want to eat it...
I was told that one should build a fire in the corn field, boil the water, and then bend the stalk over the water until the ear is in the water. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom