"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
Tonight, the DH is once again goin at it alone. Bet he'll stop on the way home and get El Pollo Loco. I'll be going to a place I hear so much about but haven't yet been to. If I don't get filled up on crustaceans and the like, maybe later I'll indulge on this tiny treasure in the wall.

So what are you planning on placing on your dinner table tonight?
{{{{{{{{{{{{Happy start of the weekend everybody!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
hmmm the web site said it's in Vancouver, BC!

I love sushi. Have a Dragon Roll for me!

We're having pasta with broccoli rabe and salmon.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I had big plans for a beef and broccoli stir fry...I was looking forward to it. However, when I walked by this meat case there were some absolutely beautiful Porterhouse steaks that were softly calling my name...I tried to ignore them, but.....So a change of plans....

Grey Goose...
Porterhouse...
and stuff........

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #13
Cook

Stolen and changed -- original from from Gourmet.

The fact that Algeria shares culinary traditions with Spain, Italy, and France is evident in many of its dishes, like this skabetch (which is quite similar in spirit to Spanish escabeche). The shrimp is pickled in a gently tangy spice mixture for a subtle play of flavors. Charmoula refers to the North African combination of ingredients in the marinade-though every country, town, and even family that makes charmoula creates its own special blend.

Makes 4 (first course) servings

1 lb large shrimp in shell (21 to 25 per lb), peeled, leaving tail fan attached, and deveined
1/2 med red onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
6 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 small leek (white and pale green parts only), finely chopped
3 garlic clove, minced
1 fresh Jalapeno chile finely chopped
1/4 tsp sweet paprika
1/8 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
1 tsp freshly ground coriander seed
1/8 tsp bijol
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp mild honey
2 Tbl chopped flat-leaf parsley

Cook shrimp in a large pot of boiling water until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and cool.
Cook shallots in 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until very tender, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, wash leek and pat dry.
Add leek, garlic, and chile (if using) to shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add paprikas, bijol, and coriander and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest and juice, honey, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 cup oil.
Toss shrimp with sauce in a glass or ceramic bowl and marinate, covered and chilled, at least 8 hours. Season with salt and serve in sauce.

Cooks' note: Shrimp can be marinated up to 1 day.

This with some nice rice, a green thing and we will call it dinner.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I am making chicken katsu with homemade tonkatsu sauce. And maybe a cabbage salad.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
hmmm the web site said it's in Vancouver, BC! I love sushi. Have a Dragon Roll for me! We're having pasta with broccoli rabe and salmon.
It is................and I will.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGeek View Post
The fact that Algeria shares culinary traditions with Spain, Italy, and France is evident in many of its dishes, like this skabetch (which is quite similar in spirit to Spanish escabeche). The shrimp is pickled in a gently tangy spice mixture for a subtle play of flavors. Charmoula refers to the North African combination of ingredients in the marinade-though every country, town, and even family that makes charmoula creates its own special blend.
???^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^WHAT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^?? ?
Old 03-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGeek View Post
Stolen and changed -- original from from Gourmet.

This with some nice rice, a green thing and we will call it dinner.
GG, this sounds amazing! As soon as I am able to spend time in the kitchen again, I am going to make this! Thanks for sharing.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Skies are blue. I'm in a pre-Easter mood and hams are on sale. So it's

Baked ham
Potato Salad
Fresh Asparagus

I bought a couple of Cara Cara Oranges someone wrote about. If my sweet tooth kicks in, I'll have part of one.

Then an early shower, a glass of wine, not answering the phone, and finding something amusing on the telly. It's been a busy week and it's time to unwind.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

At bat #2 for the glazed salmon, rice pilaf and veggies I meant to make last night. We went shopping and I got a headache, so we picked up a pizza on the way home.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
GG, this sounds amazing! As soon as I am able to spend time in the kitchen again, I am going to make this! Thanks for sharing.
The original recipe calls for Tumeric, but I guessed they were just adding a yellow color, and I have plenty of the South American flavors and seasoning in my deep pantry so I added Bijol. The coriander is in some of the recipes I have read, and not in others. Also "Grains of Paradise" is mentioned in some of the older recipes/versions. Make it your own, recipes are just an outline for adventure.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I took some Italian venison sausage out last night or would that be venison Italian sausage.... the deer was shot locally and not in Italy and got that thawed, plus some burger, plus I have a package of mushrooms to use up.... gonna be spaghetti night
With doctored up jar sauce
And some of that Argentinian parmesan cheese I picked up

Maybe something else so I can use a few more emoticons