Dinner, March 7/2008, TGIF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Tonight, the DH is once again goin at it alone. Bet he'll stop on the way home and get El Pollo Loco. I'll be going to a place I hear so much about but haven't yet been to. If I don't get filled up on crustaceans and the like, maybe later I'll indulge on this tiny treasure in the wall.
So what are you planning on placing on your dinner table tonight?
{{{{{{{{{{{{Happy start of the weekend everybody!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Mmmm... Sushi. Actually, I'm just getting a taste for it back. DH and I went to a cheap sushi bar a month or so ago where they served nori rolls the size of your fist. Since you have to eat the things in just one bite, I really suffered-- I choked on the darned thing. Plus, it wasn't very good sushi, so the whole experience was... well... not a lot of fun. Turned me off of the stuff for awhile. Lesson learned: it's generally worth shelling out a bit more for quality sushi.

Dinner for us tonight is chili and cornbread. It's a cold day and it sounds really wonderful. I should get started cooking, actually!

-Karen

I have a show tonight, so we will probably go out to eat afterwards.
I'll be making dh oven toasted mac & cheese before I leave.
I strained my back a bit last night and am a little worried about it being okay for the show. Send me some healing thoughts would you?

Sure will. Hope you're back to normal by show time.

Dinner... Paul's going out for a long lunch meeting so
I won't have to make dinner tonight.

I have a show tonight, so we will probably go out to eat afterwards.
I'll be making dh oven toasted mac & cheese before I leave.
I strained my back a bit last night and am a little worried about it being okay for the show. Send me some healing thoughts would you?

I feel for you Corazon, and am sending healing thoughts and prayers.

I have no idea what dinner will be for the border and I. DH eats at work Friday nights and Neither our border or I are up to cooking. So probably soup and grilled cheese.

We are under a winter storm warning here with expectations of up to a foot of snow tonight. I am making a pot of beef/vegtable soup and some homemade bread.

so ready for spring!

Bucky's post made me hungry for sushi. Maybe, I'll stop and get some on the way home.

Same storm here, too, ladies. The schools sent the students home at 1:30 in anticipation of bad weather.

I'm making vegetable beef soup in the pressure cooker. We'll polish off the last of the N.Y. Times bread with it. Today's the perfect day for soup.

yummy for the tummy

put stuff for beef stew in crockpot this am. baby carrots, red potatoes onions and stew meat. pepper only then some beef stock. figured that was salty enough for me.

got some crusty rolls to go with it.

banana bread (in oven right now) for dessert.

babe :chef:

Tonight, the DH is once again goin at it alone. Bet he'll stop on the way home and get El Pollo Loco. I'll be going to a place I hear so much about but haven't yet been to. If I don't get filled up on crustaceans and the like, maybe later I'll indulge on this tiny treasure in the wall.

So what are you planning on placing on your dinner table tonight?
{{{{{{{{{{{{Happy start of the weekend everybody!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

hmmm the web site said it's in Vancouver, BC!

I love sushi. Have a Dragon Roll for me! ;)

We're having pasta with broccoli rabe and salmon.

I had big plans for a beef and broccoli stir fry...I was looking forward to it. However, when I walked by this meat case there were some absolutely beautiful Porterhouse steaks that were softly calling my name...I tried to ignore them, but.....So a change of plans....

Grey Goose...
Porterhouse...
and stuff........

Stolen and changed -- original from from Gourmet.

The fact that Algeria shares culinary traditions with Spain, Italy, and France is evident in many of its dishes, like this skabetch (which is quite similar in spirit to Spanish escabeche). The shrimp is pickled in a gently tangy spice mixture for a subtle play of flavors. Charmoula refers to the North African combination of ingredients in the marinade-though every country, town, and even family that makes charmoula creates its own special blend.

Makes 4 (first course) servings

1 lb large shrimp in shell (21 to 25 per lb), peeled, leaving tail fan attached, and deveined
1/2 med red onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
6 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 small leek (white and pale green parts only), finely chopped
3 garlic clove, minced
1 fresh Jalapeno chile finely chopped
1/4 tsp sweet paprika
1/8 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
1 tsp freshly ground coriander seed
1/8 tsp bijol
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp mild honey
2 Tbl chopped flat-leaf parsley

Cook shrimp in a large pot of boiling water until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and cool.
Cook shallots in 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until very tender, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, wash leek and pat dry.
Add leek, garlic, and chile (if using) to shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add paprikas, bijol, and coriander and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest and juice, honey, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 cup oil.
Toss shrimp with sauce in a glass or ceramic bowl and marinate, covered and chilled, at least 8 hours. Season with salt and serve in sauce.

Cooks' note: Shrimp can be marinated up to 1 day.

This with some nice rice, a green thing and we will call it dinner.

hmmm the web site said it's in Vancouver, BC! I love sushi. Have a Dragon Roll for me! ;)We're having pasta with broccoli rabe and salmon.
It is................and I will.............:LOL:

The fact that Algeria shares culinary traditions with Spain, Italy, and France is evident in many of its dishes, like this skabetch (which is quite similar in spirit to Spanish escabeche). The shrimp is pickled in a gently tangy spice mixture for a subtle play of flavors. Charmoula refers to the North African combination of ingredients in the marinade-though every country, town, and even family that makes charmoula creates its own special blend.

:wacko:???^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^WHAT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^???:huh:

Stolen and changed -- original from from Gourmet.

This with some nice rice, a green thing and we will call it dinner.

GG, this sounds amazing! As soon as I am able to spend time in the kitchen again, I am going to make this! Thanks for sharing.

Skies are blue. I'm in a pre-Easter mood and hams are on sale. So it's

Baked ham
Potato Salad
Fresh Asparagus

I bought a couple of Cara Cara Oranges someone wrote about. If my sweet tooth kicks in, I'll have part of one.

Then an early shower, a glass of wine, not answering the phone, and finding something amusing on the telly. It's been a busy week and it's time to unwind.

At bat #2 for the glazed salmon, rice pilaf and veggies I meant to make last night. We went shopping and I got a headache, so we picked up a pizza on the way home.

GG, this sounds amazing! As soon as I am able to spend time in the kitchen again, I am going to make this! Thanks for sharing.

The original recipe calls for Tumeric, but I guessed they were just adding a yellow color, and I have plenty of the South American flavors and seasoning in my deep pantry so I added Bijol. The coriander is in some of the recipes I have read, and not in others. Also "Grains of Paradise" is mentioned in some of the older recipes/versions. Make it your own, recipes are just an outline for adventure.

I took some Italian venison sausage out last night :ermm: or would that be venison Italian sausage.... the deer was shot locally and not in Italy ;) and got that thawed, plus some burger, plus I have a package of mushrooms to use up.... gonna be spaghetti night :)
With doctored up jar sauce :ohmy:
And some of that Argentinian parmesan cheese I picked up :rolleyes:

Maybe something else so I can use a few more emoticons :wacko:
:-p

Back
Top Bottom