Dinner May 11/2015: Monday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I am fixing a traditional Southwestern dish called Bowl of Red, which is just highly seasoned meat, with potato salad and a bit of guacamole and chips.

What's cooking at your place?

A big ol' tossed salad with spring mixed greens, radishes, yellow and red pepper, hard cooked eggs, peanuts, grated cabbaged dressed with EVOO and blueberry balsamic vinegar, S&P, lemon zest and a sprinkle of grated romano cheese with a glass of red. I have to figure out how to make fiddlehead pesto not pesto tonight ... so will have to sample that on pasta. I don't have a lot of fiddleheads, so won't be making a lot, just enough to test. I am cooking the pasta in the leftover water from cooking the fiddleheads and will add roasted walnuts to the pesto not pesto, sauté a couple of fiddleheads and add those to the pasta. Trying to fix a recipe developed by one of the chefs that just doesn't cut it. We sent it back twice. Now it is my turn.

Last edited:
We're eating a meal from the freezer. It's a modified version of a short ribs and tagliatelle recipe from Giada Di Laurentiis.

We're getting a new refrigerator on Thurs. so felt compelled to get something out of the kitchen freezer for dinner. I found a package of TJ's Italian meatballs that I haven't tried yet, and a package of dollar store fresh frozen pasta, along with some frozen garlic Texas Toast also from the dollar store. With a can of TJ's marinara sauce I'll add some chopped green pepper that needs using and maybe some dried porcini shrooms.

We will have leftover potato salad and smoked ribs from last night, as well as fresh cole slaw I made today for DH and sliced fresh Roma tomatoes, cucumbers and carrot with ranch dressing for me. Ribs are warming in the toaster oven and cole slaw is cooling in the fridge :)

Last edited:
We were going to go out to celebrate my birthday. I didn't feel up for going out, so we ordered Indian food: onion bhajis, chicken jalfrazi, and beef vindalou. It was delicious. There will be Häagen Dazs chocolate ice cream for dessert. :yum:

Mmmm, chocolate ice cream. :yum: Sounds like you have a very nice birthday dinner, taxy.

We're working our way through leftovers. Himself and I were busy with screens and windows all day, but the sun room is now screened in and should not get as hot as it has. Doesn't take much effort to heat "re-runs". I will make a fresh fruit salad (blackberries, strawberries, orange, tangerine, and 'nanner) for our late night snack.

Sunset Dinner Al Fresco in Waikiki

IMG_2119.jpg

walked over to Teddy's Bigger Burgers,
ordered a "Bigger Original Burger" with Cheddar
along with Onion Rings
and from our `fridge...
Primo Beer, natch!

ONO!!

The morels I stuffed with crab meat and froze so they wouldn't go bad when we were under the weather. Sautéed in butter, then garlic and more butter added to pan and into the oven to bake. Steamed asparagus with lemon garlic butter drizzle and steamed, smashed fried new Yukon golds.

A small piece of Manager's Special was in the meat counter. It was a small piece of lamb perfect for lamb stew. Pirate loves lamb and wanted to learn how to make lamb stew. So under my direction I gave him the instruction. I had him make a mock veal broth by combining chicken and beef broth. I have to hand it to him. This time he listened to me and the lamb stew is so delicious. I wanted to pick up the hot pan and drink the broth right from there. He keeps telling me I know what I am talking about. From now on he will trust my judgment and following my directions. I still have a small packet of the lamb meat cut up into cubes. The next time I will have him use the barley instead of a potato. It was just enough for the two of us. :angel:

I've always wanted a tangine, and finally picked up a small one. It's glazed clay, and just big enough for 2-4 people.

I also had some short ribs defrosted that needed to be cooked, so I experimented. I read a few recipes, and although most of them called for chicken or lamb, I had to use the beef. Here's what I ended up with:

Tangine of short ribs, prunes, dates, olives, onions - lots of warm spices - topped with sliced almonds & cilantro.
Served with a couscous mixed with dried apricots & scallion.
Side dish of Moroccan carrot salad from Ottolenghi's Plenty.

Boy, was that a keeper! I'm gonna love this new toy!

I've always wanted a tangine, and finally picked up a small one. It's glazed clay, and just big enough for 2-4 people.

I also had some short ribs defrosted that needed to be cooked, so I experimented. I read a few recipes, and although most of them called for chicken or lamb, I had to use the beef. Here's what I ended up with:

Tangine of short ribs, prunes, dates, olives, onions - lots of warm spices - topped with sliced almonds & cilantro.
Served with a couscous mixed with dried apricots & scallion.
Side dish of Moroccan carrot salad from Ottolenghi's Plenty.

Boy, was that a keeper! I'm gonna love this new toy!

Tangine's look very cool and your dinner sounds spectacular. I think that Frank Z and Kathleen have one but we haven't heard about them using it lately.

Back
Top Bottom