Dinner Menu - Tuesday 7/26/2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
No sea breeze today, so we're pushing 90. AC is on, so I'll be avoiding indoor cooking. Burgers on the grill, black bean and corn salad (Cheryl J's recipe).

Never a sea breeze here, and it's too hot for me to torture Himself by sending him out to grill. We'll have ham and cheese sammies panini style with the Griddler, and a big salad. Ice tea has been flowing liberally all afternoon. Thanks to the central air, the sweat has not. :LOL:

It's HOT here today...

Popcorn
sandwiches (chicken for him, egg salad for me)
veggies sticks
plate o fruit

109F here right now, so dinner will be something cool again. I'm thinking a cold meat loaf sandwich on whole wheat, sliced cucumber, and maybe a deviled egg. Lots of iced tea with lemon.

Weather temperature here is still in the triple digits. The water in the pool registered at 94F on the thermometer.

Today was weekly grocery shopping day, which meant I had to venture out into the "hot box." Did Glenn's mother's grocery shopping, too. This meant extra stops because she's particular about some items. So be it.

By the time I made it to shopping for our things, I was hot as a bear and nearly out of inspiration for tonight's meal, but...

I remembered there was still a portion of iceberg lettuce left from BLTs and that we are awash in fresh tomatoes. I also recalled that there were several 1-pound portions of cooked ground beef with onions and garlic in the freezer. Solution: tacos.

All I had to buy were some taco shells and some shredded cheese because all the other fixins were on hand.

Boy, did they ever hit the spot. We were little piggies.

87 degrees here right now with 20% humidity so it's a good afternoon for grilling. Cheryl, stay indoors!! ACK!

I'll be using the grill side burner to steam two beautiful artichokes, and shrimp kabobs seasoned with Tajin' will go on the grill.

We have a visiting granddaughter from Florida. We took her into Boston for a duck boat tour. Got home and had a late lunch of cheeses, meats, etc. with bloody marys. Now she and SO are out at the mall and they promised to bring me back dinner.

Tuna on rye w/ avocado & fresh fruit.

img_1473854_0_fef3ff07f7c44f84d12bce32051c9c18.jpg

We have a visiting granddaughter from Florida. We took her into Boston for a duck boat tour. Got home and had a late lunch of cheeses, meats, etc. with bloody marys. Now she and SO are out at the mall and they promised to bring me back dinner.

Yum, maybe some Panda Express chinese food? :) That bourbon/garlic chicken stuff at Panda Express is great.

I made chicken fajitas tonight. I can never make it quite as good as how the local mom and pop Mexican restaurant does it. I think they cook it at higher temps and it comes out sizzling, and they light it on fire.

Also their rice is better even though it looks pretty plain. They might be cooking it in pure lard or something. lol. Good stuff.

Yum, maybe some Panda Express chinese food? :) That bourbon/garlic chicken stuff at Panda Express is great.

I made chicken fajitas tonight. I can never make it quite as good as how the local mom and pop Mexican restaurant does it. I think they cook it at higher temps and it comes out sizzling, and they light it on fire.

Also their rice is better even though it looks pretty plain. They might be cooking it in pure lard or something. lol. Good stuff.

Sadly, no. They were planning on picking up pizza but left so late that the pizzeria was closed. Had leftover orange chicken.

uploadfromtaptalk1469596644822.jpg

First time poster but been lurking here for a while.

I was thinking all day at work about getting home to cook some swordfish that I found on sale. Also eager to use the new microplane that I got this past weekend. Marinated the swordfish in a lime cilantro marinade and grilled it on my cast iron griddle. Grilled up some veggies and boiled a pot of rice. Fresh cilantro is my fave this summer. Dinner paired with a fruity IPA. [emoji1]

View attachment 25061

First time poster but been lurking here for a while.

I was thinking all day at work about getting home to cook some swordfish that I found on sale. Also eager to use the new microplane that I got this past weekend. Marinated the swordfish in a lime cilantro marinade and grilled it on my cast iron griddle. Grilled up some veggies and boiled a pot of rice. Fresh cilantro is my fave this summer. Dinner paired with a fruity IPA. [emoji1]

We're glad you joined us milkbaby and welcome to Discuss Cooking, and to the daily dinner thread where we actually cook, or at least eat daily. ;)
Your dinner looks and sounds delicious!:chef:

Welcome milkbaby!
Low 90's with high humidity here. Went to BJ's to restock our San Pellegrino supply and picked up some tricolored tortellini that claimed to be made with five cheeses while I was browsing. Followed the package directions for cooking, said 4 minutes after returning to a boil, WRONG! After 12 minutes they were passable. Made a cold pasta salad with a balsamic vinaigrette. I really think the only cheese in the salad were the parm and motz I added.:( The taste, even with the lack of the five cheeses, was pretty good. Won't buy that brand again, but the really sad thing is it came as a two pack!:ermm::ohmy:

Many cultures eat food heavy in chilis to keep cool when it is hot and humid!

Last edited:
Here it's 35° - 37° C most days. The grapes are loving it, but we're hot, so definitely something cold, with an ice cold Campari to start off with

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Welcome to DC, milkbaby! Your dinner looks great - nice to see you join in and share your lovely home cooked meal. Stick around! :chef::)

Joey - looks fabulous as always.

Andy, I hope you, SO, and the granddaughter are having a great visit. :wub:

Kay, yes I've been staying inside as much as possible, except for when I set up the Slip 'n Slide for Tyler out under the shade tree. He loves it. I just take my iced tea and sit on the patio in the shade and watch him. :)

tenspeed, I'm glad you're enjoying that black bean and corn salad recipe - it's a good one for hot weather, I really need to make it again.

Try to stay cool, everyone!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom