Dinner, Monday 10/26/15?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not much here. I went out to lunch today and had a sub sandwich with turkey, provolone, spinach, tomatoes, red onions, avocado, and olives. :yum: I could only finish about half, so brought the rest home to nibble on later.

I made a fairly plain, improvised beef casserole but the amazing thing about it was that I got the stock/gravy for it the best ever flavour!

I sealed the lean beef cubes with a mix of oil and some duck fat I had - in about 3 lots (so as not to overcrowd the frying pan). With each batch I deglazed the frying pan with some water (keeping it for stock). I formed the stock from bayleaves, a red chilli with seeds (which gave it an added dimension), onions, garlic and a good quality beef stock concentrated gel.

I slow baked the casserole for 2 hours - with fairly large potatoes baking on the upper shelf. To thicken the stock, I added potato flour (premixed with water) - which is far more pleasant than cornflour. The heat within the casserole was sufficient to cook through this thickener, after a stir and leaving it for a few minutes. I served it with some freshly cooked kale.

Last edited:
We're doing big fat juicy hot dogs on the grill, with grilled peppers and onions. SC will have a grill toasted Hoagie roll for his, and lots of grated cheese for us both.

Last edited:
I must be the Queen of Leftovers. We have a few more to finish up, then tomorrow, to start on making some more! Onward!

Individual medley tonight. SO had some leftover chicken parm and I went off to a condo board meting then came home and nuked some hot dogs for dinner.

Spent the afternoon after work at the doctor's with a sinus infection then at the pharmacy waiting for my drugs. Too tired to cook. Taco Bell was the concensus from the rest of the family so that's what we had. I had a taco salad and will soon be hitting the bed.

We had some more of the pasta e fagioli, plus a few biscuits I thawed from the freezer and baked briefly in the toaster oven. I don't know why I've never made this soup before, but we love it.

We had some more of the pasta e fagioli, plus a few biscuits I thawed from the freezer and baked briefly in the toaster oven. I don't know why I've never made this soup before, but we love it.

I've made the Olive Garden Copycat recipe, love it. And it freezes beautifully.

Jabbur, sure hope you feel better soon.

Last edited:
Jambalaya and homemade bread.
The sausage in the jambalaya is from Golden Corral. Can't beat that $1.99 take home box. Yes I filled it with the smoked sausage.

I must be the Queen of Leftovers. We have a few more to finish up, then tomorrow, to start on making some more! Onward!
You can be queen in Iowa, I have a lock on Massachusetts. ;) We cleaned up all the leftovers except for a scant bowl of yesterday's soup. I also used up the Swiss chard that didn't make it into the soup. I sauteed it in bacon, figuring the evil effects of the bacon nitrates were countered by the healthy antioxidants of the chard. Win-win, right? :LOL:

Like you, Dawg, I start making new leftovers tomorrow!

You can be queen in Iowa, I have a lock on Massachusetts. ;) We cleaned up all the leftovers except for a scant bowl of yesterday's soup. I also used up the Swiss chard that didn't make it into the soup. I sauteed it in bacon, figuring the evil effects of the bacon nitrates were countered by the healthy antioxidants of the chard. Win-win, right? :LOL:

Like you, Dawg, I start making new leftovers tomorrow!

:ROFLMAO: You need to spell Queen with a capital "Q", CG! You may reign over MA. We licked the bowl clean on the broccoli soup, but we're savoring the last few T. of the tomato cabbage soup. I've got to remember how I made that, it was excellent, and I made a lot. I told DH he couldn't eat the rest until I analyzed it.

Last edited:
We were at a meeting with a friend all morning and I had a rough night with very little sleep so TB suggested we grab a bite to eat before returning home and then I could sleep.

We went to Swiss Chalet and I had their new beef kaiser with au jus, fries and Caesar Salad. The beef was well done and there wasn't enough au jus, but it was tasty and seemed to help energize me a little!

Later we just had some soup and toast.

Back
Top Bottom