Dinner Monday 12th February

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're having turkey burgers with macaroni & cheese "fritters". They're yesterday's macaroni & cheese made into pancakes and pan fried.

lulu, your veggies sound wonderful! I'm in a veggie mood too. Perhaps I'll add roasted red peppers to the turkey burgers.

urmaniac13 said:
Wow, this is a complete novelty!! I did have garlic sausages which are pretty good, but tomato sausage!! Very interesting!

you can make them yourself even! :)

all you``ll need will be the meat salt and spices, either tomato puree or sundried tomatoes, blitz the whole thing in a food proc until sausage meat consistancy (or use a propper meat grinder if you`re lucky enough to have own one.

then you need some sheep intestine and a funnel with a reasonably wide outlet appature, slide the intestine over the funnel bottom (it`s very thin but quite strong) tie a knot in the end, then fill the funnel with the mix and ram down hard with a chopstick to fill the skin, it`s quite easy to do and fast with practice (Honestly!).
then twist the skin at the required sausage length about 3x and then do the next one until done.
then with a sharp knife cut them all seperate and cook as normal :)

actualy you can put anything you like in it if you make your own!

Enjoy :)

Thanks YT for the instruction!! Actually come to think about it, sundried tomatoes sounds really good mixed in sausage!! We often use "unformed" sausage meats, looks like a pile of mince but seasoned as sausages, I think I try mixing in chopped sundried tomatoes for our recipe next time!! (I am not sure I would like to play with sheep intestines...:wacko: )
Thanks for the great idea!

urmaniac13 said:
(I am not sure I would like to play with sheep intestines...:wacko: )
it`s not at all like you think it might be, honestly it isn`t, it`s more like a super mega long thin condom than anything else, no smell or wierd stuff, it may as well be a plastic, in fact if I`m not mistaken you can actualy get "Plastic" sausage skins (it`s a harmless plastic I beleive).
trust me, there`s no "Gross-Out" factor involved :)

EDITED: to add, Sorry if I hijacked / derailed the thread for a bit, I`ll go stand in my corner for a while longer...

Last edited:
Italian Beef Sandwiches.............smelly heavenly in here. I'll serve it on a deli hoagie bun with Mozarella Cheese melted on top of the meat and peppercinnis on the side. Also, beer battered onion rings.

Working on some chicken breasts for piccata,orzo, cooked in chix stock,sauteed onions and garlic,mushrooms and a sprinkle of toasted sliced almonds at the end. Large globe artichokes, and some fruit salad..Blackberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

kadesma:)

SizzlininIN said:
Italian Beef Sandwiches.............smelly heavenly in here. I'll serve it on a deli hoagie bun with Mozarella Cheese melted on top of the meat and peppercinnis on the side. Also, beer battered onion rings.

Decided to make a fresh loaf of bread in the bread machine and cut thick slices vs. the hoagies. Youngest sons favorite food is bread...:) so he's quite thrilled.

I've also decided to make flans for dessert. Was reminded by kitchenelfs icon recently that I'd found a recipe for flan and I just found the misplaced recipe today so I'm going to try it out as I've never had this before.

Flourgirl said:
We're having turkey burgers with macaroni & cheese "fritters". They're yesterday's macaroni & cheese made into pancakes and pan fried.

lulu, your veggies sound wonderful! I'm in a veggie mood too. Perhaps I'll add roasted red peppers to the turkey burgers.

Flourgirl, lately I've been seeing mac & cheese "fritters" on the menu as an appetizer. They're pretty darn good, and sooooooooo not good for you.

We're having beer can chicken, garlic cheese mashed potatoes, roasted garlic bread, & sweet peas. I think there's some red velvet cake leftover from yesterday for our dessert.

Update on the Chicago pizza, if I may. While I was at the store I thought, "If I'm going to make a pie completely from scratch, why not splurge and purchase the finest ingredients available?" Well, Krogers did not disappoint! I bought carefully selected Roma tomatos, fresh oregano, basil and garlic and provolone and pepperoni from the deli, among other things. I was proud and confident until I got home and realized that I'm out of flour. &%@*! I was really pushing my schedule and now it's too late in the day to make my perfect pizza. Hot dogs it is! I'll just get up early tomorrow and make the high speed run into town to get the flour before the snow storm hits.

I really am a moron.

Husband has taken to liking to having a salad as an appetizer while he watches the evening news. This has been great for both of us in the weight department. Then we move on to the dining or kitchen table for the rest of the meal. Tonight it will be omlettes and potato pancakes. Luckily, neither of us is into deserts.

Well, there's been a change to my menu for tonight. Since i don't have any room in the kitchen to walk, much less cook (we just got a new kitchen table, dining room table, hutch, & buffet, it's all in the kitchen right now:rolleyes: ) hubby's picking up some dirty rice & seasoned fries from Bojangles to have with our chicken.

dietician agreed to my choosings at meals, so fish, poundcake, & beverages. cannot wait to return to delicious meals.:ermm: she expects me to gain weight then let me adore food again.

Last edited:
OK, Ken and I decided to share the pasta plate. We chose the Tagliatelli, the Linguine and the Canneloni. The tagliatelli was done in a cream sauce with herbed chicken and mushrooms. It was divine! The big pieces of shaved parmesan really complemented the delicate flavour of the chicken. The linguine had sundried roma tomatoes, carmelized onions, kalamata olives and sambuca grilled shrimp in it. WOW! It was really tasty and I think that was Ken's pick for the evenings best. I found it a bit too sweet unless I had an olive in each mouthful. It was really good though. The canneloni was just average, I've made better. The pasta sheets were a shade thicker than I like and it was stuffed with beef and spinach. Covered with a tomato cream sauce and finished with a bit of mozzarella.

OK, having told you what we had, you should have seen the QUANTITY they served up. Holy cow. That would have fed our whole family. As it was Ken and I both ate a bit more than was comfortable for us (it tasted soooo good!) and we still had enough for a large lunch for him. Whew. Good thing we didn't try for the full meal deal. We just had a small plate of antipasto (proscuitto and salami) to share and then the meal. I didn't even have room for tiramisu. I managed to squeeze in a latte and that was the most I could do. It was a lovely dinner and I'd go back there in a minute. The prices were really reasonable and the atmosphere relaxing and inviting.

Day late and a dollar short. I really treated PeppA to a nice meal, and made some Shrimp Creole w/ faux Cheddar Bay Biscuits. It was rather funny. She comes home from running errands, and sees a pot cooking away on the stove (shrimp stock). She asked me what is was. I asked her if she had lifted the lid and stuck her nose into it. She said yes, and that it smelled really good. I told her it was Shrimp Stock. She looks at me kind of funny. I then asked her if she had opened the fridge and seen the bowl of P&D'ed shrimp. She hadn't. I then asked if she had seen THE RECIPE PRINTOUT POSTED ON THE FRIDGE. She looked, and suddenly, her eyes got about as big as a half-dollar. She really likes Shrimp Creole.

Back
Top Bottom