Dinner Monday 21st January

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw Pizza yeast in the store, somehow I never seen it before, so I had to pick it up and and check it out. It had the recipe on the back. In half an hour I had two Pizzas, was surprisingly good dough. Everybody loved it.

Interesting concept. And I am glad it works and tastes good. They have instant yeast and rapid rise yeast and what all. Next I wanna see Gramma's Cinnamon Roll Yeast. The real deal.

Don't Laugh. I have one of her fingernails currently that has ridges that run cuticle to tip that remind me of her hands and fingers. Maybe it's a sign to bring out the old crockery bread bowl.

Well, today it was baked fried chicken. Simple shake in season flour, drizzle with butter. Bake until done. Made enough for something chicken lunch tomorry. Not much drippings for gravy, but I made creamy milk gravy anyway. Added a little chix stock before adding in some milk at the end. Mash potatoes. Spoonful of corn and a sliced tomato with pepper. A 2nd tomater sliced and sprinkled with a little sugar for dessert. Also Love Love love Compari tomatoes in winter.

Cavatelli, meatballs and gravy topped with toasted seasoned bread crumbs and grated parmesan and romano cheeses

img_1231377_0_063cd0c0ca02565be565c065389f95cf.jpg

First run of the Coconut Custard Pie (waiting for it to cool)

img_1231377_1_5556aa86ba811218ea9d7940a0265177.jpg

Houston we have a problem. After browning my meatballs and adding my sauce I thought it would be a great idea to add a can of drained spinach to the mix. Now I have some exceptionally ugly looking sauce that has meatballs floating in it baking in the oven. I'm going to let it bake for a while and then decide whether to add some cream or maybe a dollop of pesto. Which could just make it worse. I have an hour to decide. So much creativity. =o(

Houston we have a problem. After browning my meatballs and adding my sauce I thought it would be a great idea to add a can of drained spinach to the mix. Now I have some exceptionally ugly looking sauce that has meatballs floating in it baking in the oven. I'm going to let it bake for a while and then decide whether to add some cream or maybe a dollop of pesto. Which could just make it worse. I have an hour to decide. So much creativity. =o(

Depends on what the sauce is you started with. A dollop of pesto won't change the color much, and will bump up the flavor. You can always cover it with grated Cheese and don't look. It will taste great. :yum:

My breakfast for dinner cooked on my CI stovetop griddle. The only time I've been able to lift a couple eggs off of it intact... a double yolker even :)
PF, I took the pic shortly before adding the ketchup on my potatoes... just for you ;);)

Attachments

• breakfast for dinner.jpg
    breakfast for dinner.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 141
Depends on what the sauce is you started with. A dollop of pesto won't change the color much, and will bump up the flavor. You can always cover it with grated Cheese and don't look. It will taste great. :yum:

It was a basic red/marinara sauce. I think you might be right. It actually doesn't smell bad, just kindda spinachy. And the color is well, swampy looking.

I think lots of parm and my usual standby explanation when dinner becomes squirrely. "Nobody has to eat here, you call all go somewhere else....." closely followed by "spent the best years of my life cooking for ungrateful people," concluded with "and I never did like your mother." :ROFLMAO:

I had a problem tonight too I did porcupine meatballs, boiled redskin potatoes and coleslaw.
For some reason some of the meatballs didn't hold their shape and the sauce all but disappeared......I had to make extra sauce (DH likes to put it on his potatoes). I think the meatball problem might be the really lean ground beef, probably need all thy good ol' fat to hold them together. Oh well it really had no effect on the taste.

All is well in Houston! It actually was a nice dish, the spinach baked in the sauce turned it a dark, rich, beefy looking sauce. The pesto gave just the right punch. I tossed in some minced parsley and I think that touch of green make the background sauce look deeper red. The spinach just kind of melted down. It worked!. I don't think anyone will notice the spinach unless I point it out. I didn't have to invoke the MIL rant. I may do this again on purpose.

I had a problem tonight too I did porcupine meatballs, boiled redskin potatoes and coleslaw.
For some reason some of the meatballs didn't hold their shape and the sauce all but disappeared......I had to make extra sauce (DH likes to put it on his potatoes). I think the meatball problem might be the really lean ground beef, probably need all thy good ol' fat to hold them together. Oh well it really had no effect on the taste.

Hey, it's all about the taste. So what, it's not as pretty as you wanted. It's edible!

I am meatball challenged as well. (Unless it's from a bag.) Every meatball I make tends to fall apart. From what I can gather, I need to let the meatballs sit for a few hours in the fridge to get a nice, hold tight ball. Either that or let them bake in the oven at 375 for about 15 or 20 minutes. I'm still working on it.

i had a big salad to start, then carrots and hummus.

next, a beef skirt steak that was "marinated" in lamb fat overnight to pick up that lambey flavour, then browned in some rendered fat, then braised in beef stock until tender. side of baked fingerling potato wedges.

if you sorta like lamb but don't like it if it's too gamey, this is the way to go. the beef picks up just enough lamb to make it noticeable but not overwhelming.

i learned this trick from a greek diner here in the city and posted it here before.
they advertise a "mixed grill" souvlaki, which tasted mildly of lamb but was actually made up of beef and pork cubes that were marinated in leftover lamb fat.
i think pag or spork has mentioned using this trick with some success. :chef:

My porcupine meatballs started falling apart too, so since it was just the two of us I sometimes just broke the meat up and did it as a meat sauce. Now I make a lot of meatballs ahead of time, bake them in the oven, then freeze them. When I want to make porcupine meatballs I just grab a bag of them, let thaw, then throw in the sauce and let them simmer in it for awhile. No more falling apart. :cool:

Hey, it's all about the taste. So what, it's not as pretty as you wanted. It's edible!

I am meatball challenged as well. (Unless it's from a bag.) Every meatball I make tends to fall apart. From what I can gather, I need to let the meatballs sit for a few hours in the fridge to get a nice, hold tight ball. Either that or let them bake in the oven at 375 for about 15 or 20 minutes. I'm still working on it.

I don't refrigerate my meatballs, but I do bake them at 400F for 20 minutes. They get nice and browned and tender. Do you put bread crumbs, milk and an egg in yours?

My breakfast for dinner cooked on my CI stovetop griddle. The only time I've been able to lift a couple eggs off of it intact... a double yolker even :)
PF, I took the pic shortly before adding the ketchup on my potatoes... just for you ;);)

YUMMO Pac, that looks soooooo tasty!

Everything looks and sounds great.
Nice plate pac!
Thank you Kylie.

I don't refrigerate my meatballs, but I do bake them at 400F for 20 minutes. They get nice and browned and tender. Do you put bread crumbs, milk and an egg in yours?
I also do my meatballs in oven. I use a disher and then put them in oven on 425F convection roast for 20 minutes. This time I used slightly over 3 lbs ground beef, 2 eggs, handful (just enough to hold it together) bread crumbs, fresh grated romano and parmesan cheeses, fresh herbs (oregano, basil and flat leaf parsley), fresh onion and garlic, sea salt and ground pepper. Never used milk before.

Thanks MsM.
I don't make meatballs a lot, but when I do I bake (roast?) them. I use a half sheet and I was just wondering how a cooling rack would work. To keep them off the pan.

Back
Top Bottom