Dinner Monday 26th November

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a Danish dish called "bankekød". It means pounded meat. It's great for a tough cut of beef.

IMG_3357.JPG

I served it with mashed potatoes, rødkål (Danish red cabbage), gravy made from the simmering liquid, and Cranberry Fire
cranberry-fire-315-ml.jpg

I didn't have any lingonberry preserves, which is what would normally be served with this meal. The hot cranberry sauce went really well with the meal. The guy with the straw hat in the photo is my friend, Greg Brooks.

taxlady said:
We had a Danish dish called "bankekød". It means pounded meat. It's great for a tough cut of beef.

I served it with mashed potatoes, rødkål (Danish red cabbage), gravy made from the simmering liquid, and Cranberry Fire

I didn't have any lingonberry preserves, which is what would normally be served with this meal. The hot cranberry sauce went really well with the meal. The guy with the straw hat in the photo is my friend, Greg Brooks.

Yum, TL! Looks fantastic!

Hmm. Cranberry Fire sounds good.

Last edited:
That sure looks good and plated very prettily. What is Tatsoi?
Tatsoi is a member of the brassica family and appears to be related to Bok Choy. It has a mild somewhat spinach-y flavor. I've only had it a few times, but I like it. My only complaint is that a head of it takes up quite a bit of real estate in the fridge.

tatsoi.jpg

Last edited:

That looks right up my alley :yum:
What makes this dish Danish? I'd love to make this.

I would totally eat that! But tell me, what wine did you have with it?
Lichette from Noémie Vernaux. It's a lovely French red that comes in a 4 litre box.

That looks right up my alley :yum:
What makes this dish Danish? I'd love to make this.
Hmm, I've only had it in Denmark. Maybe the crushed juniper berries. When I cook it, the smell reminds me of Denmark. I'll post the recipe.

Juniper berries, huh? I may need to head up to the big grocery store (Wegmans) for those. Looking forward to the recipe.

Signature Cafe's Roasted Red Pepper Crab Bisque
(Sweet roasted red bell and zesty poblano peppers with tender sweet crabmeat in a rich creamy broth.)
Bosc pear, brie cheese & minced scallion quesadillas.

Juniper berries, huh? I may need to head up to the big grocery store (Wegmans) for those. Looking forward to the recipe.
I got fresh juniper berries from a neighbour's bush. But, I have read that our North American juniper berries aren't as tasty as the European ones. The smell was there, but I didn't really notice the taste. I wonder which kind one gets at the store. I have some store bought ones, but they are dry and hard.

Here's the recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...f-with-juniper-berries-82958.html#post1211562

Signature Cafe's Roasted Red Pepper Crab Bisque
(Sweet roasted red bell and zesty poblano peppers with tender sweet crabmeat in a rich creamy broth.)
Bosc pear, brie cheese & minced scallion quesadillas.

Cerise, that sounds amazing :chef:

Back
Top Bottom