Dinner Monday 28th January

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to Babe's for dinner!

No idea, probably leftover fried rice.

I cooked some brown rice yesterday so that I could use it for tonight's chicken fried rice. So that and a salad = dinner. =)

I made beef and veggie soup with the pot roast, carrots, celery, onion, peas, mushroom caps (quartered), Trader Joe's teeny tiny potatoes (halved), burgundy gravy (from the eye round roast) and the au jus (from the pot roast).

sounds really good, mofet.

and thanks, kylie. if you like hummus try mincing some pickled jalapenos into it. really kicks it up from the heat and the vinegar.

It depends on whether I get to the store in the next hour or so.

If I do, it will be baked salmon with an orange glaze, brown rice and a spinach tomato ragu.

If not, it will be chicken wings with oven fries and garden salad.

Unlike my friend Pac, I didn't make it to the store. In fact I ended up rushed to get food on the table by 1 pm PST so I sliced off a nice chunk of one of the roasts I got 2 for 1 on Saturday and sliced it on the bias to make a ginger beef and baby boc choi stir fry. TB had rice, I had mine plain. It turned out great! I am really doing well learning to make great stir-fries without soy sauce. I used some red wine, beef broth and fish sauce, with fresh garlic and ginger. It turned out very nice! :)

I just got back from the store and tonight's dinner is the ribeye special with spinach and a grilled spud. Some bay scallops sauted with garlic may find their way in there somewhere, too.

Yum! My shopping trip was just for some spinach, tomatoes and an orange for my salmon dish. Now I am thinking that when I go tomorrow I am going to grab some scallops to go with it! :) Thanks for the idea!

Pasta here, also. Carbonara and garden salad...
A bit of a mash up today. Had some feta so we went with Greek style salad. Not a bad combo....

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 166
Made grilled tuna steaks that were encrusted with lemon zest, parsley, chopped fresh rosemary and garlic. Baked potatoes and tossed salad with homemade vinaigrette were the sides. Washed it down with iced tea and finished with a slice of gubana for dessert. We're full.

A bit of a mash up today. Had some feta so we went with Greek style salad. Not a bad combo....

Yum! My shopping trip was just for some spinach, tomatoes and an orange for my salmon dish. Now I am thinking that when I go tomorrow I am going to grab some scallops to go with it! :) Thanks for the idea!

You're welcome. Scallop go with everything :yum:

I ended up turning my scallops into scallops alfredo to go along with my steak.

I made langostino scampi over spaghetti tonight.

Costco had some at a decent price, so we picked up some. Half of them are in the freezer for later.

I tried the Cooks Illustrated/Test Kitchen recipe for Nut crusted Chicken. It was wonderful. Essentially you use Almonds (ground) with Panko, lemon zest, Cayene, Thyme, all sauted with some butter. then flour and egg wash the chicken, roll in the nut stuff and bake at 350 F for about 25-30 minutes. It was most and a great flavor.

I tried the Cooks Illustrated/Test Kitchen recipe for Nut crusted Chicken. It was wonderful. Essentially you use Almonds (ground) with Panko, lemon zest, Cayene, Thyme, all sauted with some butter. then flour and egg wash the chicken, roll in the nut stuff and bake at 350 F for about 25-30 minutes. It was most and a great flavor.
I was thinking of something similar for some salmon in a couple of weeks when we have friends over. The recipe I saw was pretty much the same but used pistachios. Glad to hear it was a winner

I used 1 cup of almonds and 1 cup of panko, and like 1/8 tsp of cayene, 2 tsp of lemon zest. The lemon zest in contrast to the cayene was what really made the flavor pop. Also, the egg wash was 2 eggs and 2 tsp dijon mustard. I have never used mustard before but it was really good. This would really be good on any fish. You may want to increase the lemon zest the stronger the fish.

I had never heard of gubana so I took a look @ what it was and it looks yummmmy! :yum: Did you make yours? Does this recipe look authentic-ish if I were to try one someday?

Yes, Zereh, I made ours. The recipe in the link you noted is quite different from mine, but I would imagine there are a number of different and acceptable ones around.

The filling in mine has ground almonds, pine nuts, walnuts, raisins, cocoa powder, cinnamon, ground cloves, ground fresh nutmeg, grated orange zest, and Grappa or Kirsch.

It's delicious and quite a workout to make the dough, but well worth it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom