Dinner Monday 29th April 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are making a pork mince pasta tonight :)

Have not tried a pasta with pork before, so looking forward to it!

We have had beef mince and lamb mince..tonight pork and next week we are trying chicken mince :)

Kylie, can you describe this a bit more? How are you preparing the pork? What seasonings are you using?

Last edited:
Mmmm, corn pudding. After reading about Chief's tamale tip and now corn pudding, I'm craving some corn.

I have leftover chicken from roasting a whole one yesterday (it started raining in the early evening, so we didn't grill it). I'm thinking of making a chicken soup or stew today. Maybe with some biscuits and salad.

Change of plans. I was too tired to make soup and salad, so I made stock for tomorrow and we had Maria Callender's chicken pot pies for dinner.

I reckon Mrs Hoot and I will be eating out this evening, seein's as it's our wedding anniversary.

Well Happy Anniverysary to the Hoots !!!! I hope you had a wonderful celebration dinner !

img_1263601_0_cd2d5a9e17737b1cfbade49c667c6ed9.gif

Seems like a lot of us pushed last night's plans into tonight dinner! At least I'm in good company. Decided I was too tired last night to do anything, so Himself finished the bean and ham soup and I had 1) cottage cheese and strawberries and 2) peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat bread. Been so danged run down lately. Doc thinks it's because my sodium levels are low whenever the vampire takes blood. Until he's done figuring it out I have an excuse for being lazy. :)

Himself grilled 6 chicken breasts tonight. 2 had fajita seasoning for Wednesday's dinner. The rest were one each of: Penzeys Berbere seasoning (have the ice cream handy-it is screaming hot!), a Jamaican jerk seasoning I mixed from a recipe I found online (not as hot but still very zippy), a South African Smoke seasoning from Trader Joe's and a lemon zest-pepper-basil-salt rub I made from ingredients on hand. Did a bag of Carolina Long Grain and Wild rice blend and steamed broccoli topped with a smoked Gouda cheese sauce.

FWIW, the Penzeys Berbere seasoning was so hot that Himself cooled his pipes with a Bass Ale. He's not one to drink beer with dinner as a rule. Guess this seasoning required breaking the rules. :LOL:

i have a fence guy coming over for the final documentation and permits/survey (so we don't have to look at the drunken macedonians next door, nor the unfriendly turks on the other side. i'm fortifying buckstantinople...), and dw wants to go to the gym early due to baseball practice at 6, so dinner will be whatever i sling from the kitchen...

...Great news about your fence...nothing worse than unfriendly or annoying neighbours!

Unfortunately, no matter HOW high a fence is I bet it wouldn't block the very annoying barking that comes from next door. It seems like a dog can't be trained when the dog owner can't be taught. :( Pity.

no dogs, thank god. just drunks.

since baseball practice was cancelled due to rain, dw was able to deal with the fence guy (she's much tougher than i am with contractors having worked in real estate management/construction for almost 20 years) while i cooked.

dinner ended up being parmesan and peppered chicken fingers and french fries:

img_1263685_0_e5001f817a1a2a9c7447edb637171726.jpg

img_1263685_1_b1d6dfecc5ad011e35c661ab342fb5ef.jpg

Those chicken fingers look great, Buckstantine.
I can see one in a tortilla with some shredded lettuce and ranch dressing on your way to work... or my way to work :yum:

I had a slight change of plans, too. Instead of spaghetti I went with gnocchi cooked in brown butter.

Attachments

• gnocchi & butter sauce.jpg
    gnocchi & butter sauce.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 169
thanks, pacnar. yours looks good as well.

That looks so...deep-fried! Actually, the chicken looks good. How did ya make it?

i just removed the tendon in a few tenderloins :ermm:, then into eggwash, seasoned breadcrumbs (progresso italian seasoned breadcrumbs with black pepper and grated romano cheese added), and then pan fried in grapeseed oil.

the fries were oven baked.

Unfortunately, no matter HOW high a fence is I bet it wouldn't block the very annoying barking that comes from next door. It seems like a dog can't be trained when the dog owner can't be taught. :( Pity.

We find a hose comes in handy ... The owner now takes his yippy little dogs inside when I come out.

Pan seared some Black Grouper I bought at the Dekalb Farmers Market Sunday. Really good. Worked on a sauce DW had at Firefly's in Panama City FL a few weeks back. It was a corn/Creme Sherry Sauce. I sauted some shallots in the pan I used for the fish. Deglazed with the Sherry and then added heavy cream. It was a very unique flavor. The fresh corn helped thicken and gave it some texture.

Those chicken fingers look great, Buckstantine.
I can see one in a tortilla with some shredded lettuce and ranch dressing on your way to work... or my way to work :yum:

I had a slight change of plans, too. Instead of spaghetti I went with gnocchi cooked in brown butter.

ZOMG! i need a plate of that gnocchi in browned butter for my breakfast this morning!:yum:

I have a small bowl in the fridge, Vit, but you better get here before lunchtime :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom