Dinner Monday 4th March

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steak fajitas (no pictures) and cinnamon rolls

img_1245187_0_d1f1764d5fbb321310439e8905cf934a.jpg

YUM!!

It's a sauce / gravy that goes well with lean pot roasted meats-
  • 2 T flour
  • 2 T butter
  • 2 C broth
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/4 t pepper
  • 1/2 - 3/4 c sour cream
  1. Make a roux of the flour and butter and cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
  2. Whisk in the broth and heat until it begins to bubble and thicken.
  3. Add the salt and pepper.
  4. Take off the heat and add the sour cream,whisking to incorporate.

Thank you :) Love trying new recipes and this one looks easy!

I'm seeing a pork roast in my near future. Beautiful color on that roast, Taxy.

However, it is morning and I could really used a cinnamon or two roll right now...

I made this last night and it was very good. Sadly, SO did not like it so it's off the rotation.

It was not clear what kind of sausage Luca used so I cooked a couple of sweet Italian sausage and used that. I have enough left over for lunch today.

It looked pretty good in his recipe.
I did not understand his method though. I've only made risotto a few times and always started the rice first so I could watch for that sizzle that risotto recipes mention. I expected him to remove the mushrooms and sausage, cook the rice, then add them back in to warm through.
What say ye? :chef: Was it "risotto-like"?

It was risotto. I wondered about the process as well but went ahead with it as written.

I see no reason why you couldn't add the rice to the onion and mushrooms in the butter to coat the rice then add the wine, reduce, etc.

It was risotto. I wondered about the process as well but went ahead with it as written.

I see no reason why you couldn't add the rice to the onion and mushrooms in the butter to coat the rice then add the wine, reduce, etc.

Cool. Thanks.
I picked up some dried porcini last week just to make risotto. I'll give this a try as well now :yum:

Cool. Thanks.
I picked up some dried porcini last week just to make risotto. I'll give this a try as well now :yum:

The question mark is the sausage. I think Luca used one that was a ready-to-eat sausage like pepperoni or salami as he gave no instructions for cooking the sausage. I assume he would not just add raw sausage to the risotto. I could be wrong. The Italian sausage I pre-cooked and added was very good in the risotto. I just am not sure if that's what he intended.

The question mark is the sausage. I think Luca used one that was a ready-to-eat sausage like pepperoni or salami as he gave no instructions for cooking the sausage. I assume he would not just add raw sausage to the risotto. I could be wrong. The Italian sausage I pre-cooked and added was very good in the risotto. I just am not sure if that's what he intended.

ahhh... I'll have to re-read the recipe more slowly. I thought he cooked the sausage in the pan, too. That's why I questioned adding the rice at the end. That makes more sense now.

Yeah, I wonder what he meant by "fresh pork sausage" :huh:
That could add a lot of juice to the dish as well.

I'll precook it like you did.

From my experience, the sausage would need to be precooked, drained and added at the end of the risotto as you have both thought. Risotto is a very "clean" dish without heavy fats and it is also important to cook the rice alone so you get it cooked evenly and nothing else soaks up the broth.

By "fresh pork sausage" he probably means a loose sausage (like Italian, dinner sausages, stuffing meat - something that is not cured, but scramble fried (out of casings) and added at the end.

That's just my take on it. I haven't actually looked at the recipe (but plan too) but I was the "Risotto Queen" during my training - not that I was necessarily the best at it, but no one else wanted to do it! :)

I never saw risotto as a difficult dish to prepare. It requires a little patience to follow the process. Understanding why you do things the way you do helps.

Okay, just looked at the recipe (should have done it first ;)). He does put everything in the pan before the rice, but it works and will add lots of flavour to the dish - love the idea of the mushroom water!

I would still precook the sausage though!

I never saw risotto as a difficult dish to prepare. It requires a little patience to follow the process. Understanding why you do things the way you do helps.

It isn't difficult - my fellow trainees just liked to do as much as they could and risotto can be a slow dish to get all of the broth properly incorporated and the rice cooked evenly, specially when you were making as big batches as we were. When I make it at home, it is a true labour of love!

The recipe I have followed used the mushroom broth as well and added it in the beginning so the rice could absorb it.

I decided to make something we've never had, sweet potato soup. I also roasted some fennel to have as a garnish along with the bacon I rendered to start the dish. It was pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom