Dinner Monday, 5-2-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Dinner, May 2, 2016?

Yesterday, I used a copycat recipe I had found previously and also watched the clip of the show on YouTube, plus used our own touches to make the Bolognese from Giuseppe's on 28th as seen on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. You can usually tell when Guy really likes something and he looked like he did with this sauce so thought I'd make it. Took just over 5 hours to cook, of which close to 1-1/2 hours was active time of chopping, browning, sauteeing, etc. The few little taste tests I took were pretty darn good. Craig really likes it too. Meat part is ground beef, ground turkey, italian sausage, bacon, chicken livers and b/s chicken thighs that are cooked whole in the sauce and then shredded. Vege are red onion, carrots, celery, lots of garlic (20 cloves). Dried thyme, red pepper flakes and fresh rosemary, plus S and P for the spice mixture. Liquid is cabernet, supposed to use ruby but we couldn't find so just used regular, plus they used water on the show. We used chicken and beef broth. Plus we also threw a parm bone in. The only tomato product on the show is 6 oz tomato paste. The copy cat recipe also used a 14 oz can of diced tomatos but I didn't use that.

The chef made fresh tagliatelle on the show, which I may do since sauce is already made (and it made A LOT!), depending on how the work day goes. Will give a final review later and post pics if it comes out as good as I think it is going to.

I'm about to toss beef chunks and stuff into the slow cooker to brew up a batch of barbacoa meat. I'll serve them up with onions (white and scallion both), tomato, fake cilantro (parsley) and avocado. Is there anything else you can suggest? Thinking of a veggie side of grilled corn (frozen last summer) and black beans seasoned with Arizona Dreaming.

What's happening in your kitchen?

Tex-Mex stuffed red bell peppers, green salad. I've had this recipe on my to-do list for a bit, and it happens to be vegetarian (black beans, corn, onion, rice, pepper jack cheese). We're not vegetarians, but figured that a vegetarian meal every now and then won't hurt me, as long as I do it in moderation. :chef:

I found a recipe for creamy asparagus and shrimp over pasta that I'm going to try tonight.

37240-albums1042-picture6399.jpg

Ham, baked beans, and coleslaw.

Hm. Used the KC Masterpiece canned baked beans with pulled pork. There was no discernable pulled pork to be found. I looked at the ingredients on the can, it said contains less than 2% pulled pork. Now how can they prominently feature pulled pork in the title, when there's no shred of PP? Should have been described as having "essence of pulled pork."

It was hot and humid here today - we had a thunderstorm and now it's just raining - so I made a cold dish for dinner. Spaghetti with Thai-style spicy peanut sauce, julienned veggies and grilled chicken breast sprinkled with Penzeys Bangkok seasoning. Nice and refreshing :yum:

Beth, I like the sound of that Green Chile Chicken Stew. Let us know any changes you may have made?

What a lot of work Med, but the picture sure looks like a masterpiece!

We're going Meatless Monday for a change..I'm with you 10speed I don't want to make a habit of it.

We're having Chile Rellano Casserole with glorified salads, and a toasted flour tortilla for my SC.

Last edited:
Update

I've got Trader Joe's Bourbon Sugar Flank Steak
on the charcoal grill as I type and it smells OUTRAGEOUS!
As well as loads of veggies on the grill, baby broccolini, summer squash and sweet bell peppers... Hello Summer! It's 85 degrees out and we're loving it!

I thought the Flank Steak was SUPER! I had a sample this past weekend at our local TJ's and this is why I bought it.
DH starts to eat his supper, munch munch, pause ...
"Is this Beef Jerky? I like Beef Jerky!"
Harumph! :furious:
Oh well, at least he liked it... introducing new foods to my "oldest son" can be difficult and trying, but ... ;)

Ham, baked beans, and coleslaw.

Hm. Used the KC Masterpiece canned baked beans with pulled pork. There was no discernable pulled pork to be found. I looked at the ingredients on the can, it said contains less than 2% pulled pork. Now how can they prominently feature pulled pork in the title, when there's no shred of PP? Should have been described as having "essence of pulled pork."

They put in 2% pulled pork in place of that thick fatty piece of bacon found in Bushes baked beans :LOL:

Last edited:
We were really happy with the flavor of the Barbacoa. When I had mentioned to our daughter, Loverly, that I was making it this week, she told me she pays about $8 for a barbacoa burrito at Chipotle...or, rather, doesn't buy it because it is $8. Considering I made enough meat to generously fill 15 tortillas for only $9, I think this will be a regular on rotation. After stuffing ourselves I still have enough for another meal+ for us, plus a "thank you" for my SIL when I run up to her house to do a load of clothes.

Well, K-Girl, first the dryer died. It was almost 20 years old and Himself couldn't find the part so he could fix it. We bought a new dryer. When it arrived, I went to run a load of wash...and the latch on the washer door broke. Fortunately, he found that part, ordered it, and it should arrive Wednesday. Meanwhile, I'm running out of socks and tops! I guess the washer felt left out. ?

What a lot of work Med, but the picture sure looks like a masterpiece!

Thanks Kayelle. It was a lot of work but made at least 2 more dinner meals with leftovers plus lunch for both of us today. Craig wants to make lasagne with it. I'm tempted to freeze about 1/2 cup or so of it, zap in the food processor and make ravioli with a t. sauce. It is really good and has a very, very rich deep meaty flavor, which is what adding the chicken livers apparently does, well besides all the other meats that went in.

The fresh made pasta just made it that much better. I always say this but we've got to do that more often. It's really easy and quick to make and not that much more work, and is so much better.

Back
Top Bottom