Dinner, Monday, 5/9/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Can't believe no one has started a dinner thread yet. Nicoise salad, using some of the tuna oil for the dressing.

37240-albums1042-picture6503.jpg

Leftover roast chicken in gravy, green beans cooked in ham stock, fresh stewed tomatoes and a dish of strawberries with heavy cream.

Medtran inspired me (lovely plate, BTW, Med). So tuna salad on onion rolls.

I'm doing a stir fry that will have baby bok choy as one of the ingredients, with crispy pork belly on the top, and a side will be the delicious cauliflower "fried rice" from last night.

Beautiful plate Med! I've seen dinner threads not started until bed time for many on the east coast.

Last edited:
Spaghetti with meat sauce, green salad with sliced cukes, radish and tomatoes. Leftover angel food cake with sliced strawberries.

Thanks ladies, I thought is was pretty too. The tomatoes are our home grown "Everglades tomatoes," supposedly Florida's only natural tomatoes. I still can't believe I'm willingly eating canned tuna, but I guess at the premium brand and premium cost I can get over that, especially since the meal was my idea. The cats, however, may not. I think they think they were being tortured with the smell of the opened tin while the dressing was melding. I know Mindy was. She was having a fit. I had to hide the tin that was opened so she wouldn't help herself while we were waiting.

Off topic, but we had to take Mindy to vet Friday. She had started vomiting early a.m. hours of Wednesday out of the blue for no apparent reason, again Thursday and Friday a.m., and had lost weight when we picked her up to "really" check her out on Friday after the third episode, subjective weight loss. She hasn't been to vet since she was spayed and that was about a year ago when she was still a kitten. Her comprehensive blood work all came back negative, except for hyperthyroid so vet wants to wait 3-4 months and check that again, since she has never heard of a cat her age being hyper. Fortunately, that was the only abnormality and the vomiting has stopped. After thinking about it, she has been chewing on and licking my pump hand lotion container and also has had accesss to fresh thyme, which can apparently cause GI upset in cats according to poison control per vet, both just recently since we moved. Both have been removed from her access. So, we'll see.

Spinach and artichoke dip pasta topped with grilled chicken. I don't keep milk in the house, so I used 1 cup of rehydrated instant dry milk, and half and half, water and white wine to make up the other cup of liquid. The spinach came from the garden. I rubbed the chicken with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning before grilling it. It was quite delicious :yum:

Good looking dinners, medtran and Joey! :yum:

Joey, it's so nice to see you back. I was wondering where you were and have missed your fabulous looking dinners.

BUSY day today, so this evening's dinner was a simple one. My local grocery store had beautiful fresh cherries at 2/lbs for $5 and I couldn't wait to have some. I ended up with a bowl of those babies, sliced cucumbers, and a leftover grilled chicken thigh from yesterday.

Last edited:
medtran49;1465977I still can't believe I'm willingly eating canned tuna said:
I too am not a fan of canned tuna. Not even at premium cost. When I have a hankering for a tuna salad sandwich, I will buy a small piece of fresh tuna (about 6 ounces) and pour olive oil on it and let it sit for about 24 hours. Just enough oil so that I don't have to waste any by draining it off when I go to mix it. I then sauté it until it is cook thoroughly. Six ounces is just enough for about two sandwiches.

Grant you, fresh tuna can be costly, but so much better than canned and well worth the expense. :angel:

medtran, that is a yummy looking dinner salad. I'm glad our weather is warming up enough to have them in rotation. Soon.

Joey, I bet you had a great time in NOLA. Too bad your computer's vacation was longer than yours. BTW, after seeing your gumbo posts I finally got brave enough to make a batch. That there is some goooood stuff! :yum:

We had spinach salads (black olives, HC egg, raw mushrooms, tomato) and Naan pizzas. We each had mushrooms, black olives, prosciutto. Himself also had pepperoni and onion, while mine had spinach, chicken, and fresh tomato.

I too am not a fan of canned tuna. Not even at premium cost. When I have a hankering for a tuna salad sandwich, I will buy a small piece of fresh tuna (about 6 ounces) and pour olive oil on it and let it sit for about 24 hours. Just enough oil so that I don't have to waste any by draining it off when I go to mix it. I then sauté it until it is cook thoroughly. Six ounces is just enough for about two sandwiches.

Grant you, fresh tuna can be costly, but so much better than canned and well worth the expense. :angel:

But sometimes there are people you live with that actually like/love tuna in oil and don't always want fresh. :angel:

But sometimes there are people you live with that actually like/love tuna in oil and don't always want fresh. :angel:

Ah yes. And that is why I put the olive oil on the cooked piece of tuna and let it sit and soak into the tuna. But to each their own. When you grow up with a food, sometimes a new version is not always acceptable to that person. I do understand. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom