"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
Master Chef

Dinner Monday, 7-27-2015

I'll be making fresh shrimp spring rolls, chicken lettuce cups, prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe, and figs stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped with prosciutto (I have prosciutto that needs to be used ). Will probably follow that up with fresh peaches and blueberries topped with a bit of ice cream, chased down with ice tea. Can you tell I'm feeling the heat?

Have plans? Do tell.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm marinating some chicken thighs that I will grill (or broil if it's raining) and have that and a salad for dinner.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I'm making Scallops with a Spicy Curry Sauce and Couscous from the Table for Two blog and some sautéed summer squash and zuchinni . Can't wait to introduce my boyfriend to scallops, he has never had them before!

Recipe: http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/scall...-and-couscous/
Old 07-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Still too hot and humid to heat up the kitchen...my plan was to make chicken with soy caramel, sautéed veggies with lemon grass, etc. on rice noodles two ways, but even that is too much. Besides, I am out of fresh ginger. Cold Cucumber soup it is with a salad.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

It's Monday so has to be red beans and rice with andouille sausage.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Not entirely hungry although I could be in another hour or two.

Dinner choices are frizzled deli ham and melted jarlsberg swiss open face on English muffins or a big salad with sliced ham and cheese, toms, cukes, zukes, onion, radishes, olives and what all is in the crisper. I think the salad. It's easy to shake up a vinaigrette and I think it's way too hot turning on the broiler for even 5 minutes and I would still make a salad to go with the sammies. So yes, big salad. Ice tea with mint.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
Master Chef

CG, every single thing you listed for your dinner tonight has my mouth watering.

Welcome to DC, aleciasalibi! The scallop recipe you posted looks and sounds delicious. Been a while since I've had scallops - I love them.

Not sure yet what I'll be having. Might be another burrito, since it was so good yesterday and I still have fixin's to use. Or maybe a loaded up salad, and freezing the rest of the refried beans and rice...
Old 07-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
Master Chef

I'm using my handy dandy electric Nesco Roaster today to try and beat the heat. I'm in the process of simmering dried hominy in some chick broth and when it's half tender I'll add the rest of the ingredients for Pozole. We'll have strawberry shortcake for dessert.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome Alecia alibi! One of the things I like to do with couscous is toast it in a hot, dry cast iron pan. I stir it as it toasts. I call it toasted when golden and fragrant--about 3-4 minutes. Toasting ups the nutty flavour. I also use hot stock instead of water. I put the toasted couscous in a glass bowl, mix in oil, cover with plastic film and let it steam in the bowl. It takes about 5 minutes (if using small couscous, not Israeli couscous).
Old 07-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Just finished dinner. I substituted light coconut milk for regular and cut down on the amounts of oil used to cook the scallops and couscous in. I found it really flavorful but would have liked the sauce to be a bit thicker. The recipe also makes about 10x the amount of sauce that you would need.

Tags
dinner