Dinner, Monday, 9/26/16?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
Over the weekend I made a fresh tomato soup with some of my frozen crockpotted caramelized onions that turned out really well. Dh has requested that for dinner along with a grilled cheese sandwich.

What are you fixing?

I have a condo board meeting tonight so SO will be heating up the ham we got from Costco last week. I'll add some of he L/O potatoes from last night and a veggie.

I made a pot of bean and ham soup a couple days ago, so will be having more of that along with a jalapeno corn muffin. :yum:

Going back to basics, pasta and meatballs with marinara.

DH had enough of my "frou-frou" cooking. :LOL:

I'm even going to surprise him with a simple chocolate cake! :pig:

One last big, fresh-made dinner. Then most of the rest of the week cooking-free. Had planned on finally doing some gardening with the free time, but I might have to change plans. Looks like gardening might require wearing a slicker and rain boots...

I'm making Picadillo from the recipe Kayelle posted, with my alterations. Sorry, cumin, but ya gotta go! :LOL:

Temps are still remaining warm but, thankfully, the humidity has taken a hike.

We had braised pork chops, which were fabulous. Great combinations of flavors. Had baked sweet potatoes and Italian green beans on the side. The usual iced tea completed the menu.

Will definitely do the pork chops again.

I made a pot of bean and ham soup a couple days ago, so will be having more of that along with a jalapeno corn muffin. :yum:

Threw in lots of veggies and used up the last of the spinach. Yum.

Attachments

• bean, ham, and veggie soup.jpg
    bean, ham, and veggie soup.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 305
Hmm, I might use up some of MY spinach if I have some of the leftover H&B soup later this week. That looks like a good idea, Cheryl.

Katie, that pork chop recipe looks good. Saved, probably to be forgotten...:neutral:

Since we enjoyed the picadillo so much the first time, I made a full recipe this time. Just adding to the leftover inventory. :LOL:

Attachments

• 2016-09-26 21.04.24.jpg
    2016-09-26 21.04.24.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 164
Mmm...beautiful looking dinners Steve and CG, and wonderful sounding dinners all around. :yum:

Thanks, CG....since I cook for one, when I buy a bunch of spinach it gets added to everything, from morning scrambled eggs, to omelets...soups and casseroles...tuna salad sandwiches....you name it. :LOL:

Last edited:
My daughter got to deciced dinner, it became heinz baked beans, potatoes and meatballs for her and we adults had sausage.

Came across a recipe for Slow cooker Jalapeno Popper Chicken Taquitos -

threw it all in the pot and like everything I do in the slow cooker started nibbling on it after about 3 hours...

2 chicken breasts, 4 thighs, frozen straight in, Creme Cheese, 4 jalapeno's chopped (deseeded) garlic salt cumin - shred meat when done.

turns out I didn't have any more tortillas in the freezer, so did up some mashed potatoes, grated on some monterey jack & mozzarella, yummy!!

Of course, now I have a heck of a lot of leftovers, might experiment and freeze a portion - just to see.

I do have a question thou - canned Chilies. I have a small can (127 mL) of Old El Paso chopped Green Chilies. Have no idea where I got it, must have bought it for a reason long lost. It shows a picture of a jalapeno on the front, but it doesn't say if it is hot/spicy or not. Would not canning jalapeno's render them mushy and bland? I often see recipes calling for a can of them but never know what to expect and so have never used them.

...Would not canning jalapeno's render them mushy and bland? I often see recipes calling for a can of them but never know what to expect and so have never used them.

Mushy, yes; bland, not necessarily. I've seen the cans labeled mild, hot etc.

Mushy, yes; bland, not necessarily. I've seen the cans labeled mild, hot etc.

Ok, thanks
I'll have to check closer when I go shopping next. Most things available here for Mexican are Old El Paso brand, don't see a lot of other stuff. I'm just talking Big Box grocers. There obviously should be some in ethnic area small grocers I guess.

Came across a recipe for Slow cooker Jalapeno Popper Chicken Taquitos -

threw it all in the pot and like everything I do in the slow cooker started nibbling on it after about 3 hours...

2 chicken breasts, 4 thighs, frozen straight in, Creme Cheese, 4 jalapeno's chopped (deseeded) garlic salt cumin - shred meat when done.

turns out I didn't have any more tortillas in the freezer, so did up some mashed potatoes, grated on some monterey jack & mozzarella, yummy!!

Of course, now I have a heck of a lot of leftovers, might experiment and freeze a portion - just to see.

I do have a question thou - canned Chilies. I have a small can (127 mL) of Old El Paso chopped Green Chilies. Have no idea where I got it, must have bought it for a reason long lost. It shows a picture of a jalapeno on the front, but it doesn't say if it is hot/spicy or not. Would not canning jalapeno's render them mushy and bland? I often see recipes calling for a can of them but never know what to expect and so have never used them.

If the chilis were jalapenos, it should say so on the label. Most of the little cans I used to buy were Anaheims. I noticed the chopped ones were mushie, but the whole ones still had texture. I wish they still offered the jars of whole pickled jalapenos.:(

I made a quick chicken, veggie, and rice casserole topped with cheese and ritz crackers! It turned out really good and crispy on top!

I was in the mood for meatballs after our recent discussion. I asked DH what kind he wanted and he said - ta da! - Swedish! I like a lot of seasoning, so I used the recipe from Cooks Illustrated, which includes nutmeg, allspice and black pepper. We like them over egg noodles. Turned out really good.

Attachments

• 1475016408008.jpg
    1475016408008.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 119
.....I do have a question thou - canned Chilies. I have a small can (127 mL) of Old El Paso chopped Green Chilies. Have no idea where I got it, must have bought it for a reason long lost. It shows a picture of a jalapeno on the front, but it doesn't say if it is hot/spicy or not. Would not canning jalapeno's render them mushy and bland? I often see recipes calling for a can of them but never know what to expect and so have never used them.

I love them and always keep a few cans on hand. I usually buy the Ortega Fire Roasted, but not sure they have them up yonder in your area. :)

I wouldn't call them 'mushy', but since they're cooked and canned, they're definitely not crisp. They add a wonderful flavor to cheesy Southwestern style dishes.

Try making a quesadilla - spread some shredded sharp cheddar, pepper jack, or Monterey jack (or a combo of a couple or all :yum:) on a flour tortilla. Sprinkle with the drained chiles, top with another flour tortilla, heat it in a med hot skillet until the tortilla gets crispy but not too browned....flip it over and toast the other side, slice into wedges and enjoy. I bet you'd like it. :chef:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom