Dinner Monday 9-5-2016 ~ What did you labor over in your kitchen-grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
A few days ago, the weather-guessers were figuring we'd get rains from leftover Hermine. As time went by, the rain kept moving further and further from where WE are. Still, no grilling here. However, it is a perfectly autumnal-feeling day, so I'll be making a pork loin roast. Sides will be spaghetti squash (making use of the oven for that, too) and green beans - maybe with sauteed mushrooms, maybe with sliced almonds. No salad, but I will chunk up some veggies to dip in hummus.

What are/were your dinner plans for today?

Chicken, tasso and andouille jambalaya with creole sauce.:yum:

Thinking of cobbling together some sopa de lima, but I'll have to convince the freezer to give up the jalapenos. I know they're in there somewhere, along with chopped green onion, but haven't been able to locate them yet.

Ha! Found 'em!

Last edited:
I've had some pork ribs in Jamaican Jerk marinade since yesterday. I haven't decided yet if I'll do them on the grill, or in the oven. We'll also have cole slaw and cucumber/onion salad, with garlic Texas toast for the SC.

There will be very little laboring here in southwest Michigan today. My mom and I spent the night at my brother and SIL's just outside Chicago and went to a flea market in Shipshewana, IN (isn't that fun to say? :LOL:).

We're now on our way back to her cottage and will have an easy dinner of summer sausage, cheese, bread and fruit. Details later, road is bumpy, typing is frustrating.

Just a nibbling on fruits and veggies kind of dinner again. That oughta teach me to not buy so much at a time. :rolleyes::LOL: I'm enjoying the fresh veggies with a Knorr's onion dip though - half sour cream and half plain yogurt. :yum:

A variant of a recipe in Beth Hensperger's slow cooker cookbook. Pork tenderloin cooked in a sauce of a jar of Newman's salsa, dried cherries, honey and cumin. Served over brown rice (in the Zoji, of course). Steamed broc.

After a few comfortable, fall-like days we're back into the blast furnace. My plans were to make lasagna, which I did but it sure warmed up the kitchen. Guess that's why I was in the pool a good part of the day.

We washed it down with our usual iced tea and had homemade baguette with butter and garlic.

Spent most the day working on focaccia bread.

img_1478868_0_d8ec87dc4b1cc46703bbca13b0c9d21f.jpg

Thinking of serving it open-face sandwich style, with pulled pork and provolone.

Kathy Lee, your focaccia is so puffy at first I thought it was cinnamon rolls before they were glazed! I'd rather have the focaccia. :yum:

*sigh* I should have pulled the roast sooner than I did. No pink (which is five with Himself, not so much for me), but at least it's still moist. I didn't bother with gravy since we didn't have mashed potatoes; I won't need it for any leftovers. I'll have Himself slice the rest of it on our meat slicer, then toss it into the slow cooker with jarred BBQ sauce for BBQ pork sandwiches later this week.

Pork rubbed with olive oil, Dijon mustard, sage, s&p, mashed garlic; plain beans; spaghetti squash topped with grated Parma cheese; and red potatoes coated with olive oil and Lake Shore Drive seasoning from Spice House - it's "Fox Point" if your're speaking Penzeys. ;)

Attachments

• 2016-09-05 21.20.29.jpg
    2016-09-05 21.20.29.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 143
There will be very little laboring here in southwest Michigan today. My mom and I spent the night at my brother and SIL's just outside Chicago and went to a flea market in Shipshewana, IN (isn't that fun to say? :LOL:).

We're now on our way back to her cottage and will have an easy dinner of summer sausage, cheese, bread and fruit. Details later, road is bumpy, typing is frustrating.

We didn't have the energy to cut up fruit, so just bread and cheese (from the farmers market) and summer sausage from the Amish meat and cheese store in Shipshewana. I dipped little open-faced sandwiches in Dijon mustard and hummus my mom had gotten from her favorite Lebanese restaurant in Detroit.

Kathy Lee, that focaccia bread looks yummy. It sounds like you're enjoying your new kitchen. Are you all unpacked?

GG, glad you're having fun with your Mom!

Good looking plate CG. I love that Lake Shore Drive seasoning from Spice House - it's "Fox Point" if you're speaking Penzeys. It's cheaper than Penzey's too.

I did the Jamaican Jerk ribs with the oven method. They were spectacular, tightly wrapped in foil at 250f for 135 min, drained and basted with more marinade and finished uncovered at 450f for an additional 15 min. :yum:
The meat pulled cleanly away from the bone with just the slightest amount of perfect resistance. :pig: Prize worthy in our opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
We didn't have the energy to cut up fruit, so just bread and cheese (from the farmers market) and summer sausage from the Amish meat and cheese store in Shipshewana. I dipped little open-faced sandwiches in Dijon mustard and hummus my mom had gotten from her favorite Lebanese restaurant in Detroit.

Dang it, forgot the pic. Forgot to take it till after I started eating ;)

Attachments

• 1473131712673.jpg
    1473131712673.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 124
Thank you, Kayelle. Love the new "adult" kitchen, can't stop cooking! LOL. :chef:

CG: I don't know why it was so poofy today. I've made this exact recipe before (it's from Anne Burrell) and it came out fabulous. I think I let it rise too long today. I also think her yeast measurements are a bit off and last time I used old yeast that didn't rise as well. Oh well, I can use them for sammiches, or even crackers. :rolleyes:

Kathy Lee, your focaccia looks wonderful...especially considering the fact that you're baking in a brand new (to you) kitchen! I can think of so many ways to chow down on that bread..... :yum:

Everyone's dishes looks and sounds so good. GG, glad to hear you're having fun with family.

Too tired to comment on everyone's....heading for bed....zzzzz....:LOL:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom