"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #31
Executive Chef

oh dh just told me to write this down. if it's a repeat from last night, forgive, it's been a busy few days. so...if ever in Whitefish Montana, you MUST go to dinner at Mambo Italiano. Hey Mambo, Mambo Italiano, hey mambo, mambo Italiano, I think it's a song, anyway, really perfect food, who knew? and our server Kody, just darling..........

Old 04-15-2008, 12:07 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww - he must be the sweetest!!! DH, not your server

Hugs to you both!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

i grilled again last night. sweet and sour marinated chicken legs, and curried pork chops. also, we had leftover baked ziti and i made a banana/flax/whole wheat bread in the bread machine.

the sweet and sour was good; the curry rub on the chops was good but too strong- i shoulda used less; the ziti was good but dry- needed sauce; and the whole wheat bread was excellent with butter and honey.

i really lucked out on the bread. i cut the top off of the bag of bread machine mix, then spilled half of it into the sink. fortunately, i had some whole wheat flour in the cupboard, so i winged it and aprroximated how much was lost. then i forgot to reduce the water a little since i added a very ripe banana, so i had to add more flour. then i guessed how much flax to add to make it count but not form a brick.
in the end, the bread came out small, but light and delicious.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #34
Cook

Twas my birthday and after a surprise weekend in Newport, RI dining out all weekend, my girlfriend and I stayed home and made empenadas and watched 3:10 to Yuma.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMcMurphy View Post
Twas my birthday and after a surprise weekend in Newport, RI dining out all weekend, my girlfriend and I stayed home and made empenadas and watched 3:10 to Yuma.
\

well I offer you a belated happy birthday. sounds like it was a wonderful day...........love RI
Old 04-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Just wanted to report back on my tilapia with puttanesca sauce... it was really good! I'm not normally wild about fish with tomatoes, but for some reason the puttanesca was just wonderful with the fish. Next time, I might sprinkle a little parmesan over before searing the tilapia. But really good, in case anybody was wondering. :)
Old 04-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #37
Executive Chef

I made a lasagna for dinner, chicken, bacon, asparagus, mushrooms, (canned) cherry tomatoes in white sauce, topped with grated cheddar and paprika. Even more yummy on the reheat! Next time though, I would change the asparagus for leeks. Asparagus seems to remain "aloof" from other ingredients and for a lasagna, I believe the ingredients should meld. Leeks would do that better than the asparagus.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:19 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMcMurphy View Post
Well it sounds like you had a lovely birthday! Congratulations!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:37 AM   #39
Senior Cook

Asparagus

Well, the lasagna sounds delicious, but I know what you mean about asparagus. I have a whole cookbook on the subject and yet that veggie continues to mystify me. Next time, give it a good chop before adding it to your lasagna. That should subdue its attitude.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #40
Executive Chef

the pieces were less than a cm long!! They were sauted with the ingredients before being cooked in the lasagna and the lasagna was reheated!! Still have a very "individual" personality. Prefer asparagus grilled with sugar, salt and balsamic vinegar or steamed with a mustard vinaigrette. I buy it pretty regularly but I am not sure if I truly like it or not. Think it is a better accompaniment rather than an incorporated ingredient but I think I have been thinking about this too long!!! LOL