Dinner Monday August 24?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Dinner August 24?

Thought I'd start a thread early this time. :)

I'm going to steam a nice big artichoke this afternoon, and have that with some melted garlic lemon butter. Fruit salad on the side - mandarins, watermelon, and blueberries.

What's on everyone's plate for this evening? :chef:

This is DH's birthday and he has not requested an easy meal. Fried chicken (have never made this before, thighs are currently resting in some buttermilk), mashed potatoes (dug the potatoes this morning), gravy (bought a dry gravy mix), corn (frozen) and German Chocolate cake (my second for him so I was mentally prepared for the lengthy prep). The 3 layers of cake are in the oven and it is almost noon.

What's happening at your place?

Not nearly as much as what's happening at your place, Beth.

I smoked and pulled a beef chuck roast yesterday. We'll have pulled beef sandwiches with BBQ sauce and cole slaw (separate from the sandwich) for dinner.

I picked up a nice, small round of rustic bread. Half of it will be tonight's Panzanella with the shrimp intended for last night. (Last night's dinner never got made. The tuna was off, and so was the cook, and I had a meltdown. Thank goodness a rotisserie chicken had hopped into the basket on Saturday!) The other half will be used for tomorrow's dinner.

Had new carpet installed today and chorus rehearsal tonight so DH is picking up pizza on his way home. My new carpet is so purty!

I've got a bit of Thai Drunken Noodles takeout left over from lunch, and will probably fix DH a grilled Canadian bacon, tomato, and cheese sandwich (he finished all of his Thai takeout, and better keep his mitts out of my leftovers.)

Banh mi's made with homemade ginger/Asian flavorings that Craig made a while back that's been in the freezer plus a slaw of angel hair cabbage plus grated radish/carrot, quick pickled cukes and fresh cut/fried fries.

DH and I have been on a road trip for more than a month now and we are in Taos New Mexico at a wonderful old motor court lodge.
The center courtyard is gorgeous with fully equipped charcoal grills.
I found a super nice grocery store and bought the fixin's for:
Steak
salad
potaoes
and to cap it off with a boom ...
s'mores
This place is in the hacienda-style and there is a charming covered porch with VERY comfortable furniture and tables.
I'm not sure if I have enough to share, so I hope that others have there own dinner ready.

Not nearly as much as what's happening at your place, Beth.

I smoked and pulled a beef chuck roast yesterday. We'll have pulled beef sandwiches with BBQ sauce and cole slaw (separate from the sandwich) for dinner.

I'll have to modify my technique for smoked pulled beef. The meat came out a bit dry. BBQ sauce covers a lot of sins. It still tasted great.

Sounds very nice, k'girl!

We're doing burgers in the cast iron skillet on the stove with steak fries. Cole slaw for DH and sliced tomato on the side for me. I do mustard, ketchup and pickles only on my burger. Unless I do cheddar cheese, bacon and A1 sauce.

Into the city today. I brought some beef brisket in to have with my son for lunch as it was his birthday today. We ended up eating late so not a big dinner. Stopped in to see my daughter at work and then off to the Italian Grocer to spend one of the gift cards I was given. I splurged and bought an expensive(for me, anyway) bottle of Balsamic vinegar and other assorted goodies...so...to make a long story longer, we had Italian treats for dinner.

DH and I have been on a road trip for more than a month now and we are in Taos New Mexico at a wonderful old motor court lodge.
The center courtyard is gorgeous with fully equipped charcoal grills.
I found a super nice grocery store and bought the fixin's for:
Steak
salad
potaoes
and to cap it off with a boom ...
s'mores
This place is in the hacienda-style and there is a charming covered porch with VERY comfortable furniture and tables.
I'm not sure if I have enough to share, so I hope that others have there own dinner ready.

Good to hear from you Kgirl, and glad you're having a great time! That place sounds terrific, I can just picture it. Those are the kinds of places that make a road trip really memorable. Enjoy!

DH and I have been on a road trip for more than a month now and we are in Taos New Mexico at a wonderful old motor court lodge...
Sounds like you and DH are having a wonderful time! Also, I think you might close to bethzaring's neck of the woods. Wave to her for me, please. ;)
...(Last night's dinner never got made. The tuna was off, and so was the cook...
Himself to the rescue, he saved the tuna. When I sniffed the package and it smelled fishy...well, let's just say it was yesterday's last straw. Blew past him to the basement and...you know, garage sale stuff. He rinsed and blotted it, repackaged it, and tucked it into the coldest part of the fridge. Today, as he was heading out to cut grass, he mentioned I might want to "check the tuna". :huh: Check it? I thought he chucked it. Happy ending - the tuna was fine. The shrimp was beyond fine. And the panzanella salad was a real winner. :yum: He's already asking for me to make it again.

Attachments

• 2015-08-24 21.48.34.jpg
    2015-08-24 21.48.34.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 2015-08-24 21.41.05.jpg
    2015-08-24 21.41.05.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 146
Kgirl, I can just picture that old style hacienda courtyard, too....sounds great, and your dinner sounds so good, too. Especially the s'mores. :yum:

Rock, happy birthday to Rock Jr. What a great day with family.

CG....that looks scrumptious, glad Himself rescued the tuna! :)

Everyone's dinners this evening sounds sooo good...!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom